PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Crack-Why

Strungout
7th February 2009, 07:05 PM
Hi.

I was wondering if somebody can put some light on to why my windscreen cracked for no apparant reason.

We had it replaced about 12 Months ago.

My wife had the car at work today and left the window down about 5mm.

When she got in it to come home it had a crack about 300mm long in it.

It was hot today (38 Deg) but I wouldn't think it would crack the windscreen.

Interesting ??:?

Regards

Greg:

weisyboy
7th February 2009, 07:11 PM
it got hit by sompthing id say. a windscreen should not crack for no reason.

AUSSIE
7th February 2009, 07:16 PM
Was it the windscreen that cracked or the window you had down?Sounds like the windscreen
They will crack from a place where they touch the body .With the heat it may have expanded enough to touch the body.Have a look at the start of the crack.Is it very close to the body.Closer than other parts of the edge I did windscreens for a couple of years

Hi.

I was wondering if somebody can put some light on to why my windscreen cracked for no apparant reason.

We had it replaced about 12 Months ago.

My wife had the car at work today and left the window down about 5mm.

When she got in it to come home it had a crack about 300mm long in it.

It was hot today (38 Deg) but I wouldn't think it would crack the windscreen.

Interesting ??:?

Regards

Greg:

Strungout
7th February 2009, 09:29 PM
Yes Aussie,It was the windscreen.

It starts right under the trim that goes around it and then goes down about 300mm.

What would cause it? It was hot but I have had cars that have sat in hotter conditions than that.

Could it have had something to the way it was fitted?

Thanks

Greg

weisyboy
7th February 2009, 09:31 PM
rust under teh glass can crack the widscreen as it grows.

this happend on my ute a wile back. get it checked out when you get teh windscreen replaced.

AUSSIE
7th February 2009, 10:10 PM
Yes Aussie,It was the windscreen.

It starts right under the trim that goes around it and then goes down about 300mm.

What would cause it? It was hot but I have had cars that have sat in hotter conditions than that.

Could it have had something to the way it was fitted?

Thanks

Greg
Sounds like edge of glass was very close to the body where the crack started.
Heat or body flex?Hard to say or like Carl said Rust growing is another problem.
Someone would have to have a look under the trim.Either way it will need fixing or replacing

Buzza
7th February 2009, 11:59 PM
I would agree with the others that the glass has expanded and touched the body.

Another reason is, you may have had a tiny wee chip out of thr surface, and on a hot day, you may hear a little crack and a giant crack appears in the windscreen.

I had a new windscreen fitted a month before my insurance was due, and within three weeks, a little stone chipped it, and that cracked the glass as I drove along the road.

Hopefully you get a free windscreen once a year on your policy. :-

texx
12th May 2009, 09:44 PM
i know this is an old post but i just found it while poking around .
many years ago i had a windscreen explode while the car was parked at home in the bush nothing around for miles .
its was summer very hot windows were down . the reason we have worked out from talking to other bushies .
the sun hitting the seatbelt buckle and reflecting back onto the glass creating a very hot spot concentrated in a tiny area like when you burned ants as a kid with the magnifying glass