PDA

View Full Version : Tree Identification

cqvillas
7th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to identify this tree for me please & whether it is OK for turning. These pieces came from the the local tip in Rockhampton.

Cheers,
Nev

weisyboy
7th February 2009, 10:26 PM
im sure i know those leaves.

i just cant put my finger on it.

but u can are they rough?

robutacion
8th February 2009, 01:42 AM
Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to identify this tree for me please & whether it is OK for turning. These pieces came from the the local tip in Rockhampton.

Cheers,
Nev

Hi Nev,

There is no such thing, as timber that can't be turned...!:;

I'm not familiar with that particular species but, I can tell you 3 things, one is that, I believe, it has some relation to the Poplar and willow tree, two , any tree that grows shoots from the side bark, even or mainly after been cut, are considered a pest/weed here in Australia and third, these are normally light coloured grain timbers, soft and light after dry!.

If you are not going to use it now, paint the exposed ends with 2 coats of acrylic paint, and store them in the shade out of the weather if possible!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

cqvillas
9th February 2009, 10:05 PM
im sure i know those leaves.

i just cant put my finger on it.

but u can are they rough?

Hi Carl,

Yes they are slightly rough however they are drying out quite quickly.

cqvillas
9th February 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Nev,

There is no such thing, as timber that can't be turned...!:;

I'm not familiar with that particular species but, I can tell you 3 things, one is that, I believe, it has some relation to the Poplar and willow tree, two , any tree that grows shoots from the side bark, even or mainly after been cut, are considered a pest/weed here in Australia and third, these are normally light coloured grain timbers, soft and light after dry!.

If you are not going to use it now, paint the exposed ends with 2 coats of acrylic paint, and store them in the shade out of the weather if possible!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Thanks for your reply.I have been told of a few timbers to stay clear of for various reasons so I was wondering if this might be one of them. It does look close grained & will be good for turning however there isn't much figure in the wood - almost like a pine??

Cheers,
Nev

weisyboy
9th February 2009, 10:12 PM
it si sandpaper fig.

ElizaLeahy
10th February 2009, 08:32 AM
it si sandpaper fig.

I use to have some of them growing on my farm! You can eat the fruit (have to peel it first) but the leaves can't really be used as sandpaper :)

Be interesting to see what the timber is like.

TTIT
10th February 2009, 09:00 AM
it si sandpaper fig.No way Carl :(

ElizaLeahy
10th February 2009, 09:26 AM
You're right, it's probably not...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2970/sand.jpg

weisyboy
10th February 2009, 06:24 PM
that tree grows in the creek here and gets little figs of you can eat.

we call it sandpaper fig.