PDA

View Full Version : Brushfires

Ed Reiss
8th February 2009, 01:25 PM
Just heard about the brushfires in Victoria...very sad.

Ann and I will say an extra prayer in church tomorrow to keep all the firefighters safe from harm while fighting the blazes.

munruben
8th February 2009, 01:53 PM
Ann and I will say an extra prayer in church tomorrow to keep all the firefighters safe from harm while fighting the blazes.Amen to that

ElizaLeahy
8th February 2009, 07:19 PM
Saw it on the news, whole towns wiped out!

And up in north queensland people are flooded for the second time in a week, people dying in flooded creeks where crocks have been seen.

I hope that everyone in the forums is safe!

Grumpy John
8th February 2009, 07:40 PM
Just heard about the brushfires in Victoria...very sad.

Ann and I will say an extra prayer in church tomorrow to keep all the firefighters safe from harm while fighting the blazes.

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts Ed, I just heard on the news that so far there have been 66 deaths caused by the fires.

echnidna
8th February 2009, 07:46 PM
And there are 60 fires burning in NSW as well as the Vic fires

artme
8th February 2009, 08:18 PM
Yes, the fickle weather has given the wide brown land an awfful hiding.

The deaths and property destruction are horrifying.

My thoughts go out to all the families effected and to the brave and selfless firefighters, SES personel, police, counsellors and other volunteers.

Rum Pig
8th February 2009, 11:10 PM
Yes good luck to all in the effected area
I have friends and family all through rural Vic so far so good :)

RETIRED
8th February 2009, 11:21 PM
According to the news just on: 85 fatalities and 750 houses lost

reef12
8th February 2009, 11:25 PM
My prayers also.

Hope all goes well.

Grumpy John
9th February 2009, 07:02 AM
:ranton:

Monday morning, 108 dead and at least 750 homes destroyed and television journalists still ask questions like "how do you feel", "tell us what was going through your mind". Then when the victims break down and cry the camera zooms in, bastards. Just report the news and leave these people alone to grieve their loss. If these reporters really want to know how the victims feel, they should roll up their sleeves and help clean up after the fires, they might then really appreciate what the victims of these fires are going through.

:rantoff:

RETIRED
9th February 2009, 07:11 AM
I am getting tired of the same images from 3 days ago.

Stef
9th February 2009, 08:27 AM
I had a cousin loose her house from these fires out the back of Traralgon area, not to far from Jarrahrules house.
I hope he and his family are safe and ok.

lubbing5cherubs
9th February 2009, 08:43 AM
Fire is so destructive. Breaks my heart for all those people. I think I rather the rain and the flooding then what those poor guys are going through now. Been though a house fire 3 years back and that smell haunts us all still today I know what they are going through and I agree about the reporters they really are disgusting makine people cry. Here in Townsville at least we get to breathe fresh air. We are all ok with the flooding however. The girls have only missed 1 day of school from not being to get there but today is the first day in 41 days that there is no water falling from the skies.. Whohoo!! Very pleased by that thought. Things might start to dry out a bit.
bye Toni

oldiephred
9th February 2009, 09:50 AM
I never know if I should feel sorry for news reporters or mentally kick them in the weakest spot. Sometimes they appear to be from a section of society that are often kept confined in special instutions.
In any case I sincerely feel sorry for those most affected by the heat and fires even though I cannot really comprehend the degree of either. Some day I am determined to visit Aus. and I think I will love it, maybe even stay. At the present time there is a minimum of 3.5 feet of snow in my back yard and the thermometer is at -15C. When that melts the floods will be terrible.

Ed Reiss
9th February 2009, 01:16 PM
Tragic loss of life. Hope the authorities find and justly punish the ones that set the fires.

GJ...your right, the "drive-by media" just don't seem to have any heart when it comes to these sort of matters....an unfortunate sign of the times we live in.

Grumpy John
9th February 2009, 06:09 PM
oldiephred, would N.S. be Nova Scotia by any chance?

killerbeast
9th February 2009, 07:39 PM
and from denmark! my heart goes out to all... i hope things quiet down real soon....

(it´s snowing her, not much but a little)

Robomanic
9th February 2009, 07:42 PM
Tragic loss of life. Hope the authorities find and justly punish the ones that set the fires.

GJ...your right, the "drive-by media" just don't seem to have any heart when it comes to these sort of matters....an unfortunate sign of the times we live in.

:ranton:

Monday morning, 108 dead and at least 750 homes destroyed and television journalists still ask questions like "how do you feel", "tell us what was going through your mind". Then when the victims break down and cry the camera zooms in, bastards. Just report the news and leave these people alone to grieve their loss. If these reporters really want to know how the victims feel, they should roll up their sleeves and help clean up after the fires, they might then really appreciate what the victims of these fires are going through.

:rantoff:

Second that. My personal hate is:

rush to scene...
"no we don't know much yet, but we will keep updating you with nothing as often as we can"

Our prayers with them also.

artme
9th February 2009, 09:38 PM
Well said Grumpy John!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

We know that this is all so apalling and I think we know that the people are feeling like nothing we have probaly expeienced or would want to experience.

Don,t need some dopey, cretinous reporter to try to tell us that.

BrianWhit
9th February 2009, 10:06 PM
Monday night - at least 130 dead. God knows how many homeless. Don't throw all the blame on TV journalists - they report what we, the viewing public watch. If all the people like you & me refused to watch the rubbish on TV it may change - until then we are stuck with sensationalist reporting. I was one of many who lived through the Ash Wednesday bushfires in SA & although I agree with GJ's comments to a point, I appreciate the immediacy that TV coverage brings to a disaster such as this. We can't all jump in & help to fight the fires, but we can help in other ways, by giving our support with clothes, food, money & just sympathy. Maybe the TV coverage is a bit over the top, but I would be prepared to bet that 90% of us, if faced with a victim of these fires would ask "How do you feel?"

Chris Parks
9th February 2009, 10:17 PM
I guess the media have to report it but the manner in which they do it irks me. Trying to sensationilise the obvious is just stupid and turns people off and victims who are still in shock are subjected to inane questions just to fill TV time. Film and report the tragedy but leave those who have suffered alone. It is gratifying to see everyone pulling together to help those who have suffered.

MatMann
10th February 2009, 12:24 AM
looters arrested in Kinglake. Bloody scum

My boss lost his house and property outside Whittlesea
lost our lumberyard and mill in Kinglake

the aftermath is devastating

3 fire fronts took out my boss's property 100m tall flames all we could do was run indefensible too many people dead

Paul39
10th February 2009, 06:48 AM
My thought and prayers are with all affected by the fires and aftermath.

Asheville, North Carolina, USA

Ozkaban
10th February 2009, 07:10 AM
I live in a northern suburb of Sydney which is surrounded completely by bushland. We have what I thought up til now were pretty serious fires every couple of years - you get used to them, have personal effects packed and ready to go, escape plans worked out. I've realised how very lucky I am - all of that would be for nought with this sort of hell-unleashed fury.

We did training in the bush fire brigade (now the RFS) about what to do if the truck was trapped and a fire was coming. Basically you're screwed - and we had sprinklers for the cabin and wool blankets, etc to get underneath down on the floor. Wouldn't do a lot and when you look at the burnt out cars and the like it makes you feel ill. What a terrible way to die.

I sincerely hope that they catch the bastards who have lit some of these fires. They really are murderers. You can't live somewhere like the Aussie bush and not know that these fires can kill.

I also can't stand the throwing of cigarettes out the windows of cars. Even the smallest butt will sit there and smoulder for a few minutes - more than enough time to catch nearby leaves and then whole townships and dozens of lives are lost because using the ash tray was too hard...

My heart really goes out to the Victorians who are suffering at the moment. I'm off to donate blood today (if I can get in!) - it's the least I can do.

Cheers,
Dave

mic-d
10th February 2009, 08:50 AM
Coles will be donating all profits from this Friday 13th to the Bushfire appeal.
http://www.coles.com.au/about/news/news.asp?WT.mc_id=COLES_BushFireAppeal
(first link.)

If you've got to shop, do it this Friday!

Cheers
Michael

Wood Borer
10th February 2009, 10:21 AM
I spoke to Ozwinner this morning and he is OK in Whittlesea but knows several who have perished.

How is DJ?

Ozkaban
10th February 2009, 10:35 AM
I spoke to Ozwinner this morning and he is OK in Whittlesea but knows several who have perished.

How is DJ?

Good to hear about Ozwinner. Not so good about the people he knows down there.

DJ posted at about 8:45 this morning in the Jokes forum, so I'm pretty sure he's going OK.

Cheers,
Dave

Grumpy John
10th February 2009, 10:36 AM

How is DJ?

I got a PM from DJ yesterday, he is OK so far :2tsup:. He's a bit worried about embers though.

silentC
10th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear Al is OK. I thought of him as soon as I heard Whittlesea mentioned.

We have a fire nearby (Jingera rock) and it's very smoky in town today. The southerly change has blown it our way. You can smell it, feel like I've been smoking cigarettes. The front is about 20km away. I was feeling OK about it until all that happened down in Victoria over the weekend. Just unbelievable devastation and so fast. A friend of ours has lost friends in Maryville. She is understandably very upset. We also have a cousin at Yakandandah, so hoping things don't get worse over there. She was on the phone this morning and all OK at present.

One thing that might come out of all this - maybe there'll be more volunteers for the CFA/RFS. Thinking of putting my own name down for the local brigade. And hopefully a bit less resistance to back-burning from the greenies. I know it's not the be all but it has to help.

Regarding the media, it makes me a bit sick too but if it pulls at the heart strings enough to get people making donations, I think it's a necessary evil. People see the tears and devastation and reach into their pockets. Not supporting their methods, but hopefully at least one good thing comes from it.

No problems around Tolmie, Rob?

Ozkaban
10th February 2009, 11:11 AM
One thing that might come out of all this - maybe there'll be more volunteers for the CFA/RFS. Thinking of putting my own name down for the local brigade. And hopefully a bit less resistance to back-burning from the greenies. I know it's not the be all but it has to help.

Both of these things are very true. In the NSW fires of 1993 (I think?), there was a massive influx of volunteers and support for hazard reductions. Of course, over time both of these things taper off until the next time :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

silentC
10th February 2009, 11:16 AM
Yes we have a collective short term memory problem as a species...

DJ’s Timber
10th February 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys, all is OK here at this stage.

DSE is currently carrying out extensive back burning a bit further up the valley from me.

As for me, I am constantly cleaning up as I have had a lot of leaves and branches down due to the heat from Saturday. Just about to head back out now and mulch up all the leaves and branches.

Andy Mac
10th February 2009, 12:04 PM
Its a tragedy, of unbelievable proportions, and like most people I just don't know what to say. Stunned really, and my heart goes out to those people who have lost loved ones and homes, work etc.
I live in the bush with a couple of acres of trees in my backyard, so I can put myself in that situation. I'm in the local bushfire brigade so have some knowledge and experience of small bushfires, but nothing like this. I don't think any number of tenders or choppers, or even backburning could have stopped this disaster. You can't backburn in towns anyway.
Short of getting rid of all vegetation, or living underground I don't know what can be done to prevent another incident like this.

Keep safe you guys down there!

Jim Carroll
10th February 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe a setup like one couple had.

At the insistance of his wife a couple put in a concrete water tank and as part of the outide of the tank they put a chamber they could go into in the case of a bushfire.

All hid in the chamber till the fire went away, they came back out and their house was totally devastated, not a bad bit of forethought by the good lady.

Like the americans living in tornado alley having cellars to go into, maybe australians living in the bush settings may have to resort to these measures just in case it happens again.

All indications are that a firefront goes through is 6 minutes so you will not be in the bunker for too long and if set up properly could be well catered for.

Gra
10th February 2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe a setup like one couple had.

At the insistance of his wife a couple put in a concrete water tank and as part of the outide of the tank they put a chamber they could go into in the case of a bushfire.

All hid in the chamber till the fire went away, they came back out and their house was totally devastated, not a bad bit of forethought by the good lady.

Like the americans living in tornado alley having cellars to go into, maybe australians living in the bush settings may have to resort to these measures just in case it happens again.

All indications are that a firefront goes through is 6 minutes so you will not be in the bunker for too long and if set up properly could be well catered for.

Other familys have been found in their cellars, some died from smoke inhalation others suffocated as the fire took all the oxygen others still burned in the cellar. It is a difficult thing. the only true safe solution is to insure heavily and get out early :shrug:

Remember its stuff, stuff can be replaced.....

ticklingmedusa
10th February 2009, 02:25 PM
I have not visited this great site much recently.
I do sneak in sometimes and admire the fine turnery being produced by members.
I still turn like a fiend myself.
The news is terrible.
I just wanted to say as a native of Southern California where wildfires are also a way
of life that I hope all my friends in Oz and their loved ones are safe.
tm

jefferson
10th February 2009, 08:55 PM
Up here at Kiewa has been pretty scary, particularly yesterday. We had a storm go thru early in the morning and the lightning strikes lit a few fires on the Mt Murra range. 3 fire trucks finally got it under control. Also, we had the Beechworth fires threatening about 15kms to the south.

Yep, scary. I've been pouring water from the bore out 24/7, though the southerly change probably saved us or our property at least.

I have so many stories.... My cousin is in Toolangi near Healeville and she's been on the football oval for 3 days. Another mate nearby had the fire at his door.

But I did manage some more kitchen cupboards today. Another freebie. Gee, is that all I can do in the shed? I wanna learn to turn!

Jeff

journeyman Mick
10th February 2009, 11:56 PM
I spoke to AL (Ozwinner) this morning, he's acting as a bouncer down at the Whittlesea neighbourhood centre, keeping the media out. I told him to take his trowel with him to wave threateningly at them. He sounded a little bit shaken but in good spirits. Told me he'd run into Rob (Woodborer).

Mick

oldiephred
11th February 2009, 06:19 AM
Grumpy: Yes, N.S. would be Nova Scotia

oldiephred
11th February 2009, 06:32 AM
Even though we in Canada are far away from your problems physically we can all contribute to the long term resolution of this type of problem by making sure it remains in front of us long after the media have deemed it not newsworthy.
May I suggest that we try to obtain a list of those who perished and in each thread from now on we close it "in memory of ------ lost in the fires of 2009" or some such reminder. If we can spread this among other forums, it may have a significant preventive effect.
All too soon we tend to forget or move on the the next issue.
Hope it ends soon.

OGYT
12th February 2009, 01:08 PM
I am just in shock... trying to imagine what it must be like in OZ. Being a firefighter for nearly 20 years, I've seen my share of range fires... some that last for weeks on end... but I don't think I've ever been involved in anything like is going on there. Just devastation multiplying. Awful.
My heart goes out to all of those suffering loss. Wish there was a magic word or thought that would make it go away. You're all in her and my prayers.

Ad de Crom
12th February 2009, 08:00 PM
Heard on the news this morning they arrested three guys, probably responsable for these bushfires. Well punish them very hard.
Ad

joe greiner
12th February 2009, 09:59 PM
Heard on the news this morning they arrested three guys, probably responsable for these bushfires. Well punish them very hard.
Ad
Damn right. "Reckless indifference," or whatever the law allows.:((

Joe

Burnsy
12th February 2009, 10:32 PM
I haven't heard that but they would want to make sure they have the right guys as the public want blood and it would be easy for an innocent to be found guilty given the whole nation is grieving, you could not really find an impartial jury.

If and when they do find the culprits it is going to be interesting to see how they deal with them because of the massive media coverage and public outrage.

Waldo
12th February 2009, 11:05 PM
How's it going up the road Dj?

Heard today that there was a meeting in town the other night about evacuation, hope your okay and those fire fronts don't merge. The smoke outside is getting as thick as pea soup and more as the night goes on. :(

DJ’s Timber
12th February 2009, 11:15 PM
How's it going up the road Dj?

Heard today that there was a meeting in town the other night about evacuation, hope your okay and those fire fronts don't merge. The smoke outside is getting as thick as pea soup and more as the night goes on. :(

I'm getting out in the morning, getting a bit too close for my liking, have 2 small ones within 10km burning at this stage and as you say, if those 2 big ones join up :blowup:

Waldo
12th February 2009, 11:18 PM
Great to know you're ok, not so good that it's close by.

Wood Borer
13th February 2009, 09:24 AM
I'd love to help you DJ but it would be a bit difficult to get to you with all the road closures between us.

Good luck, we are thinking of you.

Rum Pig
13th February 2009, 09:26 AM
Best of luck DJ hope you stay safe and the gods spare your property:fingerscrossed:

RETIRED
13th February 2009, 09:37 AM
I'd love to help you DJ but it would be a bit difficult to get to you with all the road closures between us.

Good luck, we are thinking of you.Hitch a ride on Elvis.:D

ElizaLeahy
13th February 2009, 09:42 AM
Good luck, and keep us informed!

Wood Borer
13th February 2009, 09:55 AM
Hitch a ride on Elvis.:D

I was more concerned about the return trip - could Elvis carry all that timber back here without it getting scorched?:no:

Waldo
13th February 2009, 10:00 AM
I've already subconded (can't find how to spell it :gaah: ) Elvis to fly over here with Dj's timber and his Virmac, sorry Rob. :D

Sawdust Maker
13th February 2009, 03:36 PM
I flew into Melbourne on Tuesday, early afternoon. Didn't see anything on my way back home on wednesday as there was cloud cover. Can only hope it rains.
Had a window seat. What I saw was incredible. Reminded me of those world war one photos where everything is bare except shell blasted tree trunks sticking up. It is so bare no underbrush, just blackened trunks, no underbrush or no nothing, just ash. Those areas usually have a thick canopy of grey green eucalypt leaves.

DJ
our thoughts are with you, keep safe

Waldo
13th February 2009, 03:38 PM
DJ
our thoughts are with you, keep safe

Hear hear, Rob too. :fingercrossed: by the smell of it, it's very ugly not too far from here.

Grumpy John
13th February 2009, 07:50 PM
Stay safe DJ, and whatever forces control your destiny may they spare you and your loved ones from any harm.

Little Festo
13th February 2009, 08:15 PM
DJ, hope all is well. Amazing/crazy times we live in, floods one end and fires the other.

Best of luck - Peter

DJ’s Timber
13th February 2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts :2tsup:

Have moved a heap of my gear today, had the truck, ute and trailer all loaded up, with it all unloaded at my folks in Templestowe this evening, so sorry fellas, no toys for you to acquire :U, it's all secured in the garage at my folks :;

tea lady
13th February 2009, 09:13 PM
Good to hear you are OK, DJ. :C

I'm a bit spooked over here in the Dandenongs. My eyes are sore from the smoke from who knows where. Alarms keep going off from little fires around the place.:C

Just keep whistling. It'll be OK. :whistling::cool:

lubbing5cherubs
14th February 2009, 11:52 AM
DJ and Tealady stay safe. We need you around here
Toni

Claw Hama
14th February 2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, stay safe guys, try and keep time up your sleave for a getaway if you have to. Good luck and Good Judgement.