PDA

View Full Version : You Turn Horsham

brendan stemp
9th February 2009, 08:55 AM
I have organised a woodturning get together at Horsham April 25 - 27 called You Turn. Jim Carroll has already mentioned it (thanks Jim). Its our first and was organised to provide a Turnaround style of event to those who live in Western Vic in particular. But all welcome. Bring your lathe, bring your tools and wood and have a great time in Horsham. We had some serious fires in our area over weekend so a big response to this would really help lift our spirits and help the community. Contact me if you want to come brendanstemp @skymesh.com.au

NeilS
10th February 2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Brendan

I'm thinking about coming but not sure if I could manage to bring a lathe all that way from Adelaide. Not sure how 'you turn' without a lathe, but no doubt the comradeship will be enjoyable and you can always learn something by talking to and watching others.

I'll keep in touch with these postings as I decide closer to the time if I'm a starter.

Neil

Jim Carroll
10th February 2009, 09:18 PM
Neil these are all very sociable weekends and everyone goes home inspired.

brendan stemp
10th February 2009, 09:55 PM
Gday Neil, I am taking my three Vicmarc lathes along for those who cant bring their own. So all you need to do is pack some tools and ideas. Let me know if you want me to email you the form etc. And bring a mate or two.

RETIRED
10th February 2009, 10:45 PM
I will be there.

I don't mean to scare people away. They are great fun and sometimes you even learn something.

TTIT
11th February 2009, 09:01 AM
I'd love to get there and pick your brains a little Brendan but it's just a little bit out of the way for me :B :;

brendan stemp
11th February 2009, 02:26 PM
A couple of thousand kilometers should be no excuse!!! If you get here I'll serve you my brain on a platter for you to pick to your hearts content.

brendan stemp
11th February 2009, 02:28 PM
Good on ya . But you need to do some woodturning and dont say anything about my unsafe woodturning practises! Looking forward to seeing you.

RETIRED
11th February 2009, 03:57 PM
Good on ya . But you need to do some woodturning and dont say anything about my unsafe woodturning practises! Looking forward to seeing you.You never know on both counts.:D

Robomanic
11th February 2009, 05:33 PM
I will be there.

I don't mean to scare people away. .....

You might not need such a big disclaimer if you didn't take delight in sending sizable woodchips into every corner of the shed :q

blackwoods
17th February 2009, 10:55 PM
For anyone who has not been to one of these weekends only need to go to one to be hooked. I have been to Phillip Island 6 times, Wagga 2 times and Wellington, S.A. twice and thoroughly enjoy the weekends. It's your choice to talk, watch, learn or turn all weekend and get FREE tips and help from some of the best turners around.
If you have an opportunity to go, take it. You wont be dissappointed!

Jim Carroll
13th March 2009, 12:47 PM
Hope everyone has booked into the You Turn in horsham

Give brendan a call.

rsser
14th March 2009, 09:15 AM
Yep.

Email sent Brendan.

Will bring up a camper trailer. The lathe is a bit awkward to move.

Stevenp
14th March 2009, 10:55 AM
This is only about 2 hours from Me, so I am hopefully able to get there. It would be good to meet some forumites and put faces to the names. Wont be able to bring my lathe but looking forward to it.
Cheers Steven.:2tsup:

rsser
14th March 2009, 11:11 AM
More info here:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=862640&highlight=horsham+stemp#post862640

NeilS
14th March 2009, 11:52 AM
Email sent to Brendan.

Planning to be there, also without a lathe. That will be OK, I'm quite a proficient backseat driver...:)

Neil

brendan stemp
15th March 2009, 10:12 AM
We have a very healthy number of participants coming now. There was a time I was a little concerned but I am now getting a steady flow of requests to join in. For catering and accommodation reasons please let us know soon if you are wanting to come. We have a good range of raffle prizes, some good cooks preparing the food and it is in a spacious venue. Jim Carroll will be there selling his wares and telling me off for leaving keys in the chuck (a bad habit of mine.. but I don't smoke!) Augers well for a great weekend. Some rumours were getting around that we were holding it out in the middle of the showgrounds; outdoors! NOT SO! Undercover and secure. Not too late to join us and I look forward to meeting those I haven't met before.

rsser
15th March 2009, 10:20 AM
Sounds good Brendan. Reg and cheque are in the mail.

What time's the start on Sat.? I'll look at staying Friday overnight rather than leave Melb early to make a morning start.

masoth
15th March 2009, 11:05 AM
Bugga !! Surgery and ANZAC Day (if able) stop my attendance I hope all attendees enjoy the week-end.

soth

NeilS
15th March 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm also planning to arrive in on the Friday evening. Any suggestions of where to eat that night Brendan?

Jim Carroll will be there selling his wares...

Jim - will you be taking forward orders (not thinking of anything as large as a lathe) for Horsham?

Neil

Jim Carroll
15th March 2009, 01:48 PM
Yes if you want something give us a call to make sure we have it there for you.

Saves a bit on postage.

This is applicable to all the shows we do, we try to take everything but always leave behind something so get in early in case we have to order in.

brendan stemp
15th March 2009, 07:28 PM
Ern and Neil, the venue will be open Friday evening for people to set up. I'll keep the doors open til about 9:00pm and that way those that set up at this time will have two full days to turn turn turn. All participants will be receiving a letter soon with a few more details. Stay turned.

NeilS
16th March 2009, 09:17 AM
Yes if you want something give us a call to make sure we have it there for you.

Saves a bit on postage.

Thanks Jim, I'm starting a list...:)

Neil

andycat68
22nd March 2009, 11:07 PM
I have organised a woodturning get together at Horsham April 25 - 27 called You Turn. Jim Carroll has already mentioned it (thanks Jim). Its our first and was organised to provide a Turnaround style of event to those who live in Western Vic in particular. But all welcome. Bring your lathe, bring your tools and wood and have a great time in Horsham. We had some serious fires in our area over weekend so a big response to this would really help lift our spirits and help the community. Contact me if you want to come brendanstemp @skymesh.com.au
Hi Brendan, i would love to come to see u and many other turners working. I did a day tutoring with u at the Peninsula Woodturner Guild back in November and learnt so much just from the 5 hours there. U have so much knowledge, a great tutor. Since then i haven't looked back. My lathe is my best friend. Love ur work and ur theories of how to use tools and the timbers. I look forward to seeing u in April. Cheers Andy.

NeilS
5th April 2009, 12:39 PM
Brendan, et al

While going through my gear to see what I might need that I can get Jim to bring to Horsham, I have identified some 'stuff' that is/will be surplus to my requirements. What is the etiquette on bringing such 'stuff' to swap, sell & buy?

Also got my confirmation letter for the weekend, thanks.

Looking forward to meeting up with those who will be there.

Neil

brendan stemp
5th April 2009, 10:30 PM
Bring it along Neil. It would be a good idea if we had a second hand trade table at the event. Maybe next year.

rsser
8th April 2009, 07:09 PM
Brendan,

haven't had confirmation of reg. yet.

I need to book a site at the caravan park pretty soon.

brendan stemp
9th April 2009, 01:58 PM
It's not too late to book in to this inaugural event. I have a few forumites who will be coming and we now have over 60 participants. A great number; not too many. And a wide variety turners.
andycat68 are you coming??

Stevenp
9th April 2009, 10:25 PM
Bugga!!! daughters 21st birthday on the 26th and unable to get a pass, gotta cook a barbie for a bunch of freeloaders. This is the first time there has been a "Get together" within a days march of me and I cant make it. Maybe next year.:(

Calm
9th April 2009, 10:26 PM
Bugga!!! daughters 21st birthday on the 26th and unable to get a pass, gotta cook a barbie for a bunch of freeloaders. This is the first time there has been a "Get together" within a days march of me and I cant make it. Maybe next year.:(

try Ballarat 2nd or 3rd MAy (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=87155)

Cheers

Stevenp
10th April 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for reminding me of that David, I will put it in my diary and put it to the minister for war and see what happens. At the moment i can only say a tentative yes but will do my best.:2tsup: