PDA

View Full Version : Hide glue

whetstone
20th April 2001, 03:24 PM
I am in the process of completing a rocking horse made from jellutong, mahogany and aracaria pine. The guide I am using recommends 'sizing' the carcase with rabbit hide glue.

Does anyone know where I may be able to source it or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a suitable alternative ?

Any help would be appreciated.

S Hayward
20th April 2001, 06:07 PM
Hi
Hide glues are generally seldom used these days due to the availability of so many modern type glues. I would suggest a high strength PVA or if you really want plenty of working time try a urea formaldhyde. Some ureas will stain though so if you are going to clear finish be careful. With the species you have chosen I would assume you are going to paint in which case you won't have any trouble.
Good luck
Shaun.

ubeaut
21st April 2001, 12:51 AM
We stock Perl Hide glue which is often used for the same purpose. Many of the old rocking horses were coated with gesso which is a batter made from mixing hide glue water and talc or calcium carbonate (chalk dust). This is used because it fills the grain and can be sanded to a brilliantly smooth surface, giving a fantastic base to build your painted finish on.

Rabbit skin glue is just a slightly inferior form of Perl Hide glue. It is often found in art supply shops and is used as a size for artists canvases.

Either glue will do the job. Click on the link below and then on the Perl Hide Glue link to view the info on our glue and Talc to see info about gesso. U-Beaut Products (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm)

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

whetstone
21st April 2001, 11:57 AM
Thanks to both of you for your prompt and helpful replies. I will order the Pearl hide glue from U-Beaut as it sounds exactly the product I am looking for.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dod
9th May 2001, 10:05 PM
Sorry I just found your message.
I recently made a rocking horse out of jelutong and marenti. I used the "gesso" method and it was very successful. I bought the gesso from the Woodwork Haven or something like that in South Aus.
Good luck
Dod

Originally posted by whetstone:
I am in the process of completing a rocking horse made from jellutong, mahogany and aracaria pine. The guide I am using recommends 'sizing' the carcase with rabbit hide glue.

Does anyone know where I may be able to source it or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a suitable alternative ?

Any help would be appreciated.