PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok?

ElizaLeahy
15th February 2009, 01:18 PM
Before I bid on it - anyone with any knowledge about these things please look? It's a bench drill press. I want to turn bowls with wide lips and then drill holes in the lips for hair sticks to stand in.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rexon-drill-press_W0QQitemZ320340534616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Power_Tools?hash=item320340534616&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Ed Reiss
15th February 2009, 01:36 PM
far as I can tell from the pics, it looks OK and AU59 doesn't seem to be a high price. I have a Delta bench top drill press that I use a lot more than the floor model.

Just make sure that the motor works, quill travel is smooth and the table adjusts easily.

Good Luck

unixbigot
15th February 2009, 02:32 PM
Rexon are sold by Glenfords tool centres in brisbane...there's one relatively near you in wooloongabba.. You might want to check out their showroom to get a feel for how big a drill you will need.

I have a dinky benchtop drill press and often wish for something with more height.

--chris

munruben
15th February 2009, 03:36 PM
Looks ok. You wouldnt be wanting to pay much more for it though depending on condition.

ElizaLeahy
15th February 2009, 03:52 PM
Rexon are sold by Glenfords tool centres in brisbane...there's one relatively near you in wooloongabba.. You might want to check out their showroom to get a feel for how big a drill you will need.

I have a dinky benchtop drill press and often wish for something with more height.

--chris

Well, if you want to upgrade...

Gil Jones
15th February 2009, 04:40 PM
Eliza,
It seems to look okay in a photo, though I do not see a geared crank to raise and lower the table (nor any motor data). That could be a problem depending on the weight of the table and your strength. If you loosen the table lock and there is no drive system, you either catch the weight, or it goes quickly to the base, and anything under it is smashed. Good advice to go check out a new one if not so far away from you. Some surprises are just not fun to deal with.

Robomanic
15th February 2009, 04:42 PM
If you are just doing light drilling as suggest earlier, then there is nothing stopping you from bolting a large piece of solid timber to increase the table size.

This one does not have a crank to wind the table up and down which you might find a bit of a pain. In the past I had used one without it for years but every now and again it would need some attention to unclog it so it can move up and down the post easily.

AUSSIE
15th February 2009, 06:15 PM
Eliza
You really need one where the table winds up and down.
Even if you could handle lifting and lowering this one.The winder helps alot for fine adjustments etc.

ElizaLeahy
15th February 2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone - I think I'll leave it for now.

:)

new_guy90
15th February 2009, 07:33 PM
good idea with the holes for the sticks in the bowl, im going to do the same for earing's when i find the timber ..............drill presses are cheap as chips i have a $75 GMC does fine till i find a nice bit of old iron to restore ...........your only doing wood so the drill doesn't need to be very beefy why don't you consider a power drill? there cheap and more handy .........just a thought anything will do

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
15th February 2009, 08:26 PM
Looked at power drills Patrick. I found them heavy! I'm not sure I could hold them in one hand and hold the work in the other - I would have to clamp the work, not sure how to do that either!

I phoned Bunnings about drill presses - $250 now the cheapest.

new_guy90
15th February 2009, 09:09 PM
Looked at power drills Patrick. I found them heavy! I'm not sure I could hold them in one hand and hold the work in the other - I would have to clamp the work, not sure how to do that either!

I phoned Bunnings about drill presses - $250 now the cheapest.

thats ok power drills can be a bit heavy but they do have there uses and i think you can get some smaller ones dont get a hammer drill thats over kill

bunnings are crap i got mine from there it was a GMC one but they stopped selling them i think just look around you should be able to find a cheap one somewhere for under a hundred ......shouldn't need to pay more

Robomanic
15th February 2009, 09:56 PM
A drill press can be the most handy machine in your workshop. You are wise to hold off and try and get one with a few more features. My Ryobi is not nicely finished but it does a lot of things.
- depth stop
- table tilt
- table rotation (which is more handy than you might think)
- table height adjustment crank.
- work light.

It was on special at Bunnies for $150 but you can probably get something similar second hand for much less. Things are only expensive if you need them right now....

Good luck.

Ad de Crom
15th February 2009, 10:16 PM
Eliza, this drill press looks okay, only I miss a machine vice.
I have a simular table drill press in my workshop, and I'm pretty happy with it.
Don't pay to much, as I paid only 37 euro for my drill press. I bought my drill press brand new by a Aldi supermarket. Many times they have very nice things to offer. Don't know if in Aussie (German) Aldi supermarkets are.
Ad

TTIT
15th February 2009, 11:11 PM
I've never seen a table-winder on that size drill press in any brand, probably because the tables simply aren't that heavy. I used one for many years and never had the table take off - they can't because all the weight is on one side causing them to 'rack' when let go. The main reason I upgraded was capacity, lack of power for heavy steel-work and large forstner bits etc. Lesser quality drills often sell for as little as $100 new - I'd say give it a go :2tsup: Handiest tool in the shed! (IMHO)

Ed Reiss
16th February 2009, 05:18 AM
TTIT...Delta bench presses have side-winders (pic of mine attached).

...is Delta equipment available in Oz??

TTIT
16th February 2009, 09:30 AM
TTIT...Delta bench presses have side-winders (pic of mine attached).

...is Delta equipment available in Oz??I've seen a few Delta table-saws around but I don't know about the rest of the range. Is your press a 1/4 or 1/3HP, 5 speed model like the ones I'm talking about or bigger??? - I've never seen a winder on any that small.

Ed Reiss
17th February 2009, 04:46 AM
TT...it's a 10 inch, 5 speed, 1/4 hp drill press.

Model configuration may have changed since I bought this one in 1996...in fact this model may have been amongst the last to have been made in the U.S. by Delta. I think they are now all Chiwanese made.

Ozkaban
17th February 2009, 09:56 AM
I bought a drill press from Hare and Forbes and I'm pretty happy with it. I do a lot more with it that I thought I would. Wasn't cheap (bit under $400, I think, but they do have cheaper models), but it has been extremely useful.

I ended up with a floor model, which is about $50 more than the bench one, but I'm short of bench space and thought it would cost me more than $50 to make a bench for it.

I know this is way above what you were thinking but a decent drill press is a seriously handy bit of kit - all the more so since I started wood turning.

cheers,
Dave