PDA

View Full Version : burl bowl

bowl-basher
16th February 2009, 08:59 PM
Hi all:D
Had a nice weekend with a top pice of coolabah burl, it is the first time that I have atempeted a solid burl. I think the time was equaly divided betwen turning and grinding there seems to be layers of hardness you get in a bit and the gouge just turns up it toes, a couple of mm deper and it seems to soften up... anyway I am happy with the result It is 250 in dia and stands 130 high the finish is 3 coats of light buffing oil and I will give it a light coat of beeswax and buff in about three weeks I have left it "Chunky"
to match the burl the top bead is undercut on the inside
Look foward to your comments
Bowl -Basher

Ed Reiss
17th February 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi all:D
Had a nice weekend with a top pice of coolabah burl, it is the first time that I have atempeted a solid burl. I think the time was equaly divided betwen turning and grinding there seems to be layers of hardness you get in a bit and the gouge just turns up it toes, a couple of mm deper and it seems to soften up... anyway I am happy with the result It is 250 in dia and stands 130 high the finish is 3 coats of light buffing oil and I will give it a light coat of beeswax and buff in about three weeks I have left it "Chunky"
to match the burl the top bead is undercut on the inside
Look foward to your comments
Bowl -Basher

...man, you guys have got some unique woods down under...must be something with the "harsh" environment.

Lookin'good BB:2tsup: ..don't forget to sign the bottom!!

rsser
17th February 2009, 07:45 AM
BB, just be careful with the beeswax or it'll fill pits and voids and look pig ugly.

bowl-basher
17th February 2009, 08:07 AM
BB, just be careful with the beeswax or it'll fill pits and voids and look pig ugly.

Thanks for the heads up on that you are dead right might just give it a last coat of buffing oil
BB

Ad de Crom
17th February 2009, 08:26 AM
Graham, you made something what is really beautiful mate, rich colored wood, oh yeah I like it a lot.
Very well done :2tsup:
Ad

ElizaLeahy
17th February 2009, 09:05 AM
That's a beautiful bowl! So, burl is hard to cut???

Pat
17th February 2009, 09:21 AM
BB, what Ern said, another coat or two of oil and forget about the wax unless you like spending hours digging out the clumps in all the cracks :~

BernieP
17th February 2009, 09:36 AM
G'Day BB

Beautiful piece of wood and well worth all the effort you put in. Thanks for sharing:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

bowl-basher
17th February 2009, 11:09 AM
That's a beautiful bowl! So, burl is hard to cut???

:oo:It can be a reral pig!!!! as the grain is going in all directions at once and you seem to get layers of hard and soft then add in the gum voids and you have a fun time on the lathe not to mention the fun of getting the lump of burl round and in balance to start with I was almost chasing the lathe around the shed
Bowl-Basher

Rum Pig
17th February 2009, 11:36 AM
That is a nice bowl nice timber:2tsup: