PDA

View Full Version : GMC Wood lathe

smidsy
23rd May 2004, 02:58 PM
Hei Guys,
Been toying with the idea of getting a wood lathe, my budget doesn't exist and I've been umming and ahhing about the GMC lathe for $99.
Here's what I have found so far, at 375 watt the GMC motor is less powerful than the cheapest Sherwood full bed lathe which goes for $399, but more powerful than the sherwood mini lathe which goes for $249.

I've searched this forum for GMC and couldn't find much on the lathe - I found three posts, 1 was negative and two were positive when keeping in mind the cost of the beast. Overall GMC seem to get good wraps for support - especially with the 30 day return deal.

I had a look at the GMC lathe at bunnings and while I don't really know what I'm looking at I did notice that the bed is only steel tubing and not cast - is this normal for cheaper lathes? Would this be an issue if the lathe has a secure base?

On the specs the GMC states a "swing" of 178mm - I know this has something to do with the diameter of the work it will accomodate, does that spec mean that the lathe will conceivably work timber double that size?

Once I get the lathe I would obviously need some chisels, but what else would I need?

Not really sure where I want to go, I loved lathe work when I was at school and the idea of making pens and bowls and stuff is rather appealing.

Any advice you all could offer on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Smidsy

ozwinner
23rd May 2004, 04:42 PM
I had a look at the GMC lathe at bunnings and while I don't really know what I'm looking at I did notice that the bed is only steel tubing and not cast - is this normal for cheaper lathes? Would this be an issue if the lathe has a secure base?
It is normal for the cheap end of lathes, I have a mid range lathe, a Record and it has tubes.
I should think that once bolted down there wont be much movement, unless you have a realy unbalanced turning blank.

On the specs the GMC states a "swing" of 178mm - I know this has something to do with the diameter of the work it will accomodate, does that spec mean that the lathe will conceivably work timber double that size?
Correct!

Once I get the lathe I would obviously need some chisels, but what else would I need?
Timber is alway good.

Sorry couldnt resist. :D
Not much else, just get too and make some dust, and have fun, its all about haveing fun.
When its not fun any more its time to stop.
I bought a cheap lathe last year and went tropo for the first couple of months, but now I rarely touch it, I prefer makeing cabinets.

One more thing, dont expect too much from a lathe that only costs $100.

Cheers, Allan :)

Ozartisan
23rd May 2004, 07:31 PM
HI Smidsy
I decided last chrissy that I wanted to finally try turning, so had my lovely wife get me the $99 Bunnings GMC Lathe. I am still using it... but only until I get my Nova DVR.!!
It is true.. you get what you pay for, and the GMC is extremely light in it's build - ie the headstock flexes quite dramatically in all directions, even though I have it well secured on a heavy timber stand.
Having said that, I have been able to turn some quite good stuff on it.
What you will find is that even more important than the lathe itself is the tools you use & the techniques used.
I quickly realised I needed a decent chuck (I lean toward bowls etc), a good basic set of tools (roughing gouge, bowl gouge, detail gouge, parting tool, scraper), a means to get & keep those tools SHARP!
By all means start with a cheap set of tools, but invest in sharpening gear (razor sharp cheap tools still cut, just not as long as better quality tools).
I attended a local Adult education wood turning course in Feb - the best thing I could have done... given me the basics on tool techniques, sharpening etc.
I am still turning Burls etc on my GMC, but there are some horrible rattles coming from the headstock (motor / bearings) - but I reckon I git my $99 worth.
Hope you enjoy the turning experience as I am!

Have a couple of pics of a few items I made on the GMC in the photos thread.

Good Luck

Peter - Happyinsydney

gatiep
23rd May 2004, 09:55 PM
Smidsy

Do yourself a favour and stay away from those designs. Take it from a woodturner of 50+ years....they have nothing that makes for a safe lathe. Besides getting chucks and MT accessories to fit is a no no.

I note Carbatec has their MC900, with cast headstock and bed, swivel head, variable speed, MT2 spindle and tailstock, drive spur, live centre, face plate, 300 mm swing, 900 mm between centres, 30mm x 3.5 thread etc etc for $319.
Their chinese scroll chuck is $139
The combo of the above is on offer for $399
Their set of 6 HSS turning tools is $99

This will set you up to enjoy fairly serious woodturning for years to come.
Only ingedients you'll still need is wood and good tuition.

I will not turn on one of those $99 designs. I have seen wood fly off in my life and I assure you that those '$99 items' are dangerous. Sorry but I cannot call them lathes.

Getting back to the above $399 plus tools package........about the only other hobby that you can start and persue for for many years at that price is keeping silk worms........and only if you have your own mulberry tree.

The $99 items are impulse buy items because of the low price. Unfortunately they are made cheap and I can assure you that they have put more people off woodturning than anything else. They have a use: Put a disk of MDF on the face plate and use it as a cheap and nasty disk sander.

There are heaps of them covered in dust unused in sheds, at garage sales and even the garbage tip.

If you are serious about woodturning, do yourself a favour and get safe equipment.

Regards
Joe

Vasco
24th May 2004, 12:00 AM
I have just recently bought an MC 900 lathe from Timbecon the same as the one from Carbatec. It is all that Joe has said. I know that for the turning I am likely to do that this will see me out for many years, unless I get more serious about turning. I lean more toward furniture making. To date I have made several Pens because it is a novelty and I will use it to enhance my furnitue where needed.
However I agree with Joe those GMC things are dangerous and I do accept that some people have had and will continue to have good use from them however think about what it is that the lathe is doing and how close you are standing to that fast turning timber. I equate it to buying $20 tyres for your family car, they will do the job but how safely?
I am not bashing GMC some of thier tools are fine. I have a GMC wet grinder for sharpening my lathe chisels and hand chisels. This tool serves the purpose and the worst that can happen from it is that it won't work. I just think that the lathe is too dangerous to risk your saftey with.
Regards Vasco

arose62
24th May 2004, 12:42 PM
The answer to "What else do I need" should include:

1) face shield
2) some sort of dust control, whether dust collector, or quality facemask.
3) some sort of tuition, from books, videos, or your local woodturning club.

I'm very similar to "HappyInSydney" - my wife also bought me a cheap $100 lathe for Christmas before last, and I've been able to produce 88 things so far that I'm satisfied with.

My situation was that I'd never used a lathe before, so wanted to minimise my outlay, as I didn't know if I'd enjoy it. Others on this board would suggest attending a woodturning club, and/or getting lessons rather than buying a lathe, and if I didn't commute 6 hours a day I would have gone that route.

However, if you know you like turning, I'd say take Gatiep's advice, as the $100 lathes *are* cheap-n-nasty. I'm seriously looking at the MC100 this WW show, but this time I feel I'll be able to appreciate the extra quality, having used my chinese cheapy for a while.

Cheers,
Andrew

DanP
24th May 2004, 01:20 PM
Smidsy,

I bought one of those GMC lathes when I was first starting out and got the sh*ts so badly with the whole thing that I nearly chucked it in. It has no guts and you can stop it with your bare hand. Changing speeds is a pain in the ar*se and mine just did not run true which made it impossible to accurately rechuck bowls etc. I bought a Supanova chuck to go with it which didn't help the thing in the slightest. I bolted mine to a solid bench and it still moved. The bench didn't the lathe did. I then went and bought the MC900 from Carbatec, as Gatiep suggests. The difference was chalk and cheese. I have since turned bowls to 14" diameter out of really rough blanks. They are solid and true and IMHO a really good piece of kit for the price. I think the GMC is the path to frustration and annoyance. Save the extra and get the MC900.

Dan

P.S Don't think me anti GMC I have several GMC tools, can't afford better, but HATED the lathe.

smidsy
24th May 2004, 01:30 PM
Joe was saying Carbatec are doing the MC900 for $319 - which Carbatec or is this a mis print as the Perth Website is showing a price of $379

Cheers
Smidsy

M-R
24th May 2004, 01:47 PM
Oddly enough I only just bought a GMC $99 lathe less than a week ago. Two days ago I had to take it back to get a piece replaced. The tool rest (of all things) broke. Near as i can figure it broke with the gouge i was using bit into the blank (camphor laurel which is so soft it shouldnt break anything) forced the gouge downwards into the tool rest, and pushed my arm outwards. Hello sore elbow.

I've had the tool three days and its been replaced once.

I wonder how long a life it has? At any rate the 30 day replacement guarantee is the only reason I purchased it.

I've been having a few bad turns on it, thinking either "is it the wood?" or "is it me?" - Now after reading this i'm thinking "its the machine"

I think i'll be taking it back to bunnings and taking that $99 to carbatec (along with another $300) and grabbing a new lathe.

ClintO
24th May 2004, 07:08 PM
Hare & Forbes are also selling their 900mm lathe for $319

smidsy
24th May 2004, 07:33 PM
So who and where are Hare & Forbes - do they have an outlet in Perth?
Cheers
Smidsy

Vasco
24th May 2004, 07:43 PM
Smidsey,
The perth number is
PERTH
Ph: (08) 9479 6066
Fax: (08) 9479 6055
or on the net at
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/index.html
Never used them myself or even been there but it might be worth at looksy.
Regards Vasco

Christopha
24th May 2004, 07:45 PM
M-R, trust me it's you , just be thankful that it was the rest that broke, get some lessons quick before you really hurt yourself! :eek:

smidsy
24th May 2004, 08:13 PM
Just checked out the Hare & Forbes website - that lathe from what I can tell looks pretty much the same as the MC900. $20 cheaper (that's nothing) with a 1hp engine although not an induction engine if that means anything.
If I end up spending that much I will probably check it out, although from the unanimous talk I've heard here I think I would rather spend the extra $20 at Carbatec for the MC900 - although everything is down to finance so I may end up having to take a chance on the GMC rather than wait 6 months.
Cheers
Smidsy

Sir Stinkalot
24th May 2004, 08:34 PM
Even if you do go for the GMC for 6 months, you could always try and sell it off for $50 or so, or it could be used as a disc sander.

Stinky.

Ozartisan
24th May 2004, 10:25 PM
Hi guys
yep.. the GMC is light, rattly, and nothing like a "real" lathe... but as I said before... I have turned some decent projects on it.
You have to treat it with some respect to get any results... sharp tools, careful angles and smaller bites.
having said that.. I wish I had bought the 900 from Carba-Tec as a first lathe.. I would not have become frustrated so quickly.
The up side is.. SWMBO has authorised a small redraw on the mortgage to tool up properly... Nova DVR, bandsaw (roll on Sydney Carba-Tec sale next weekend!) etc.
If you can stretch it... go for the 900... at least you could probably re-sell it later if you want to - where you will get bugger all for the GMC. (Mine is destined to be a sander)
Anyway - here are some images of a Burl I battled with on Sunday.
Whichever way you go.. just enjoy!

Kev Y.
25th May 2004, 12:05 AM
Another outfit to look at for lathes is TOTAL TOOLS. Even though I have the DVR (BRAG BRAG) I did at one time entertain the notion of purchasing the total tools unit.

do yourself a favour, if you have an outlet close by, check them out.

Kev

DanP
25th May 2004, 07:15 PM
I think you'll find that the Carbatec, Timbecon, Total Tools, Hare and Forbes lathes are all one and the same. They are made in Taiwan and imported en masse to these distributors who rebadge and paint them in whatever colour they like. I have the Carbatec and I have yet to fault it.

Dan

gatiep
25th May 2004, 09:54 PM
Dan

They are actually made in China. The various importers specify the colour and also some specifications such as spindle diameter, thread and bearing size. There are subtle differences. They are not imported in bulk and rebadged in Australia. The Blue ones come in their own container, so do the orange ones and the host of inbetween colors, i'm not sure of.

Cya mate
Joe

jhunt_2000
25th May 2004, 10:21 PM
Hi M-R, Sorry you received such a harsh reply to your post. To elaborate a little and hopefully help a bit, one of the first rules I was taught and have read everywhere I have read anything about turning techniques, and a rule which has been borne out by my meagre experience is that the tool should be resting on the toolrest at all times. (Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.) This prevents the tool being smashed into the toolrest when it comes into contact with the wood. I was lucky enough to have a teacher before I bought my WL18 lathe from Hare n Forbes for 300 odd dollars last year.

gatiep
25th May 2004, 10:51 PM
Smidsy

Phone the Perth Carbatec..........they have/had a deal together with a scroll chuck for about $399......not sure if its still on.

JRHunt

Yep you're absolutely right. The cause of most dig ins is not having the tool firm on the tool rest. Another very important point to remember is: When trueing up a blank into a cylinder, make sure that you do not move the tool horisontally along the rest to the end and let it fall off the rest. Stop before the end of the rest....then reposition the rest. If the tool drops off the rest it will gouge out a chunk from your work and is outright dangerous.

Cya around
Regards
Joe

M-R
27th May 2004, 01:59 PM
I did feel a little short changed by the replies, but not enough to really worry about it.

First off, I dont take a tool off the tool rest. I can understand why you guys thought I might have, but no. Incidentally the tool rest itself wasn't damaged. The bit that was, was the tightening bit that connects the body to the arm that can swing out? (see the attachment for my vague explanation)

Anyway, I can't really explain how it happened, except the tool guy thinking there must have been a pre-existing stress fracture.

Red neck
27th May 2004, 08:58 PM
M-R

I have never had the time for formal lessons in woodturning either. Although lessons reinforce the basic skills and promote early situational awareness, plain old experience is also a good teacher. Mind you after five years of turning I still hope some day to have the time to do one-on-one with a good teacher.

In my case I learned on a Record lathe that was constructed in the Sheffield tradition and nothing has ever broken on it. Being of good quality any stuff-up had to be induced by the operator and not the machine. I did however learn not to underestimate the forces exhibited on the chisel tip by a grainy lump of wood revolving at 2000 RPM. Coupled with any out-of-balance tendencies at the drive shaft a sudden dig-in cannot be underestimated. The forces created by such a dig-in impose due stress at the fulcrum, or the tool rest; such forces are balanced at the other end of the tool by the turner. A heavy bowl gouge would therefore provide significant leverage. The tool rest through the banjo also provides leverage to the lathe bed and back to the headstock. Poor quality workmanship or materials in the construction of the lathe would no doubt lead to failure under such stresses. Such mishaps happen so quickly that it is very difficult to determine afterwards the chain events that produced the end result. Don’t take it to heart and I’m sure any critics mean well.

I wonder how much engineering goes into the cheaper lathes as many Chinese manufacturers seem to simply copy a concept without analysing the structural integrity. This is evident by the number of safety recalls in household electrical appliances.

A good quality lathe will not loose value therefore I feel that one should spend the dollars on the machine. There are many second hand machines available and although more expensive than the average GMC or Chinese imitation will provide trouble free service and parts availability for many years to come. It seems these days we are apt to spend more on a couple of good chisels than on a lathe and it is failure of the latter that will lead to serious injury.

smidsy
27th May 2004, 09:15 PM
Well guys, as much I couldn't afford it I scrounged up the money and just bought an MC900 - got the package deal with the carbatec chuck for $399.
I've got some bits of 90mm pine that I shall play with tommorrow once I get the beast together
Hats off to Brett at Carbatec in Perth for some great service.

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice as well.
Cheers
Smidsy

gatiep
27th May 2004, 09:53 PM
Smidsy

Congratulations on getting the new toy. I wish you many years of happy turning!

MR

The part that broke is known as the banjo or the slide. The toolrest is the vertical part with the round vertical post and the horizontal bar that the tool rests on. Not picking on you, just clarifying which part is which. There are many possibilities as to why the banjo broke....the most likely is a faulty casting.

Keep the speed down, the tools sharp, the block of timber down to a reasonable size AND have fun mate. Thats what its all about, don't let one bad experience put you off a real fine hobby.

Cya
Joe

M-R
27th May 2004, 11:00 PM
smidsy, seems you and I are in the same boat.

I took my gmc lathe back with the 30 day satisfaction guarantee (one thing gmc does right)

Took $400 down to carbatec, and am now the proud owner of a MC900 and chuck. I know this is not the pinnacle of quality that is available, but seriously, compared to a gmc, this is king.

the worksman ship is alot higher quality, everything *feels* solid. thats whats important.

I didn't have time to do much with it so i threw a piece of camphor on to the faceplate and gave it a quick turn. all the little bumps and grinds that the gmc have just aren't there...it's like the difference between a model T and a ferrari. Where the gmc would have problems just roughing out a blank, in seconds this new lathe had taken all the corners off a reasonable size blank to the point where i have a shiny round camphor blank sitting in the machine ready to play with tomorrow.

I guess the moral of the story is never underestimate how much a cheap tool can effect your work. Makes me wonder how much my work would benefit from a new table saw. mmm.

gatiep
28th May 2004, 12:45 AM
M-R

Congratulations on getting the new toy. I wish you many years of happy turning!

Cya,
Joe

adrian
9th June 2004, 05:47 PM
I'm convinced too. I'm going to order my MC900 tomorrow. The only problem I have is that I have a small single garage where my Prado has to share space with all my tools. One more tool and I might have to convert one of my bedrooms.

smidsy
9th June 2004, 08:55 PM
Hei Adrian,
As a proud owner of a 2 week old MC900 I can safely say that you can't go wrong.
I'm not sure what you will do on space though, as the beast weighs 80+ kg and moving it regularly is not really an option unless you mount it on some sort of trolley - you will also need help to put it together.
I got mine from Carbatec Perth and they were offering a scroll chuck for an extra $20 - they freely admit that it's a chinese copy of a Bonham chuck but it seems to work pretty well and is well worth the $20.
Cheers
Smidsy

adrian
18th June 2004, 06:41 PM
I took delivery of my MC900 today and you are right Smidsy, it's a heavy sucker. It was a mongrel to lift onto the stand. I'm definitely going to have to dust off my gym equipment.
The current deal from Carbatec (MC900 and chuck for $399) seems excellent value. This is the first time I have ever been near a lathe but it seems like a very solid unit. The only problem I had was the speed control. I turned the lathe on but the lever wouldn't budge past the first 2 settings. I almost had to break it to move it but it finally loosened up.

smidsy
18th June 2004, 09:03 PM
Hei Adrian,
Congrats on the new toy - the chuck does make an excellent and handy addition and for $20 you can't go wrong.
I've already used the chuck to make a bowl which I will post in the pics section tommorrow - a bit rough but it's a first attempt.

One thing I would suggest you do is find yourself a wood turning group - I thought about doing a tafe course, but on the advice of one of the Carbatec guys ended up going to a local woodturning group.
Even though most of my play will be done at home, I plan on joining the group because it's great just to see what others are doing,watch and swap ideas , and you get the best of both worlds - you've got the old hands who know it all and the fellow newbies you can swap info with.
Cheers
Smidsy

Newbe
22nd July 2004, 02:02 PM
Hi,
I would stay clear of the GMC lathe, I was given one & as previously mentioned its hard to change speeds, it has far to much flex & no grunt. I ended up bolting a 2m long 12mm thick steel plate to the bottom & that still didn't work. The only good thing about my GMC lathe is that it got me turning. Save your money & get a better lathe that will last longer & allow you to do better quality work.

Babytoolman
22nd July 2004, 10:00 PM
I have had my MC900 for 2 weeks tomorrow and it is a little ripper. I am hunting wood now and i am looking for a chuck as mine deal through Gasweld didn't come with a chuck. These are great beginners lathes and i look forward to going further up the tree toward the Nova one day.

DavidG
23rd July 2004, 02:29 PM
My lathe history.
1st
A pressed metal unit like the GMC.
Added wood beams to the bottom but it still flexed just about every where.
4 jaw independent chuck tended to bite like mad as the jaws protruded beyond the frame. Did some work but it was bl...y dangerous.
Suppose they are a place to start from but you need to be careful about the flexing as it can be dangerous.

2nd
A Woodfast 280s. Nice lathe with a sliding head and standard threads.
Added a vicmark 100 chuck. Things went well for a time.
One nice part was that you could take the head/motor off the bed and transport it around. (meetings)
Lathe lacked size and horse power. Max swing 160mm
Still got it as my pen and small item lathe although I tend to use the following lathe.

3rd.
A Vickmark VL300 Electronic variable speed. Now I have a Lathe. :D

Unwise
28th September 2008, 12:58 PM
Take it from a woodturner of 50+ years....
Regards Joe

The above statement made me realise that there is a wealth of information out there in 'Woodturner's Land' held mostly by those people who have made all the mistakes and learned from them.

I am a 'Newby' to this site and would be most obliged if you will give me some direction, (including the reasons for your advice) regarding the purchase of a new woodturning lathe.

I have been considering three (3) lathes:

WOODFAST M 910

TEKNATOOL DVR 3000 XP

VICMARC VL 300 LONG BED

I will be most obliged if you could provide me some guidance about the above.

It would also be appreciated if you directed me to some other machine which has not at this stage been considered.
With thanks in anticipation,
Unwise (especially in this matter)

ss_11000
28th September 2008, 01:57 PM
well, the Vicmarc Vl300 is an awesome lathe :2tsup:...its the one i would choose out of your listed ones. the only one you havent considered is a Stubby lathe (a quick search will get you a description).

but, it all depends on your price range and also you NEEDS...what are you planning on turning??? also, dont forget you need to buy tools, chucks, timber, finishes etc.

cheers

Groggy
28th September 2008, 02:10 PM
The VL300 will let you turn a pencil or a post and is a commercial quality lathe. I bought mine second hand for about half price, it also came with some expensive extras that made it a very good deal for me. If you have no plans to move house the VL300 is one sweet machine.

The other two lathes are also very good but I have no experience with them. I agree with what Stirlo said, tell us what it is you wish to turn, as that will determine the advice you get.

The cost of accessories can add up to the price of the lathe or more, so a second hand deal can say you a lot more than just the price of the lathe.