PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, first post and a request

roundnround
18th February 2009, 02:08 PM
New to this forum. I have been lurking for a few months now, and decided to introduce myself. I am from the United States., and I have been turning for 3 years, but still consider myself a beginer. I do some bowls and vessels, and some segmented turning. I discovered pens about 6 months ago. I never thought I would enjoy pens all that much, but I was wrong. So this brings me to the request. I hate to make my first post a plea for help, but I don't know where else to get this information. I am trying to make some pens and small boxes for some friends, but I want a specific species of wood that I believe is grown only in Australia. The species is Melaleuca Alternafolia. I know there are many species of Melaleuca trees, and that they are members of the eucalyptus family, but the Alternafolia species is of great importance to my friends. I don't think they are usually harvested for timber, and possibly the wood is normally considered trash. I have found a U.S. supplier for a different species (Melaleuca leucadendron) but I don't know how similar if at all this species is to what I am looking for. I have noticed a few turners here have turned items from Melaleuca trees, but no species is listed. Is there anyone here who can help me with information about the wood, it's turning properties, or possibly a link to a U.S. supplier? I need only a small amount, so if necessary I can get it from an Australian supplier. It would be best kiln dried, but if it is green, I may be able to dry it in time.

Thank you all for your help, and indulging me in my request. :)

Roundnround

Gil Jones
18th February 2009, 03:56 PM
I believe it is a Tea Tree.
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/tea_tree.html

Welcome aboard the forum. Where are you located in the USA?

robutacion
18th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi roudnround,

I have some Melaleuca and I use if for turning, trying to work out exactly how the species you require look like and compare with what I've got, is not easy but it the areas where they reckon those species grow are correct, then you have to be around NSW to find them, and I'm in SA. This doesn't mean that someone hasn't successfully grown then elsewhere (other states).

On my quick search, I found some good pics of the trees and flowers, and this could help other forumates to identifying if they have any of it or know where to find it. http://www.aciar.gov.au/system/files/sites/aciar/files/node/733/ACIAR+TR63+(web)+part+1.pdf

At the moment, I inclined to believe that what I've got is not what you're looking for, but I can be wrong...! (pics attached)

Lets see what the other forumates come up with!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

rsser
18th February 2009, 04:37 PM
Yes, Gil's right, it's a Tea-Tree not a Euc. It's also called Narrow-leaved Paperback.

It's smaller than Leucadendron which is used for construction, flooring and boat knees.

My refs make no mention of commercial quantities being out there nor of its turning properties specifically. It is used in large-scale production of tea-tree oil from plantations however so some-one must have access to the timber. Naturally it occurs mainly in Northern NSW and some of the forum members up that way may be able to help you.

But if it's like Leuc. then drying is chancy and it dulls tools quickly due to a high silica content. I've only ever had one thick-turned green bowl of it and it warped to useless; don't know which kind of Melaleuca it was. Pity because the figure was great.

Welcome to the forum membership btw. If you PM me your email address I'll scan some more info and sent it on.

Refs: K.W. Bootle Wood in Australia 2nd ed.
Forest Trees of Australia, 5th ed.

roundnround
19th February 2009, 02:50 PM
Gil,

I am located in the Northwest, clear across the country from you. The Melaleuca wood I found here in the US is from woodworkers source. I may have to use it if I can't find the right species. This project would be so much easier if I wasn't so darn picky!

NeilS
19th February 2009, 03:59 PM
Yes, Gil's right, it's a Tea-Tree not a Euc. It's also called Narrow-leaved Paperback....snip..... Naturally it occurs mainly in Northern NSW and some of the forum members up that way may be able to help you.

Ern is pointing in the right direction for your best chance of locating a supply. Tea-tree oil was first produced in large quantities in and around Coraki on the far Nth Coast of NSW during WW1 when it was used as an antiseptic by the troops before antibiotics started to be used as the 1st line of defence against infection.

It grows in heath country (poor to sandy soils) which explains why it is high in silica.

Here are a couple of possible links:

Richmond Valley Woodcrafters Club

www.echonews.com/index.php?page=News%20Article&article=14634&issue=250 (http://www.echonews.com/index.php?page=News%20Article&article=14634&issue=250)

Northern Rivers Woodworkers Association Incorported

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=80930 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=80930)

Northern Rivers Woodworkers Association Inc Feb 2007

Barbara Jackson "Wandandanian" 421 Caniaba Rd., CANIABA NSW 2480 Ph: (02) 6621 5866

Email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Neil
<TABLE class=desbody cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=left border=0 dwcopytype="CopyTableCell"><TBODY><TR class=body><TD vAlign=top align=left>

</TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD class=email vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hoodie
23rd February 2009, 06:12 AM
G'day Roundnround,
If you're any where near Florida there is a fair bit of melaleuca that grows in the everglades where it was introduced and has turned into something of a pest. Not sure which species it is. M. leucadendron has green flowers and large (4") leaves and a true "paper " bark. It loves the swampy areas and can grow fairly large.

roundnround
5th March 2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you for your help with this. I knew when I started looking that it wouldn't be easy to find exacly what I was looking for. At least now I have information to start with. I had found the source at Woodworkers supply in the US, but I am not sure how much the two species look alike. If I am unable to locate Alternafolia, I will have to settle for Leucadendron. Again, thank you for your help. This is a great group. I wish we had all the beautiful timber here that you have down under!