PDA

View Full Version : A round thing

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 04:20 PM
So many hair sticks - what to put them in?

That is the never ending dilemma of the hair toy collector.

But now we have a product for you! It holds hair sticks! It holds bobby pins! It will even hold your soup! It's the amazing, multipurpose "round thing"!

You have searched for years for something to fulfill all these tasks, now one product will do them all at once! Eat your soup while you do your hair! Easy! Hassle free! Economically viable and will save you time and money!

But wait! There's more!

The holes come FREE! Yes, that's right, FREE! Buy one today, and get the holes for FREE! That's not one, not two, not three - but EIGHT holes, totally free!

Buy today and save!

;)

Sawdust Maker
18th February 2009, 04:26 PM
steak knives?
I like your sticks but can't imagine needing one with a No 2
and the round thing looks cool

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 04:28 PM
steak knives?
I like your sticks but can't imagine needing one with a No 2
and the round thing looks cool

that's where the soup comes in...

You could put noodles in the bowl, and have chopsticks around the outside!

new_guy90
18th February 2009, 07:54 PM
But wait! There's more!

The holes come FREE! Yes, that's right, FREE! Buy one today, and get the holes for FREE! That's not one, not two, not three - but EIGHT holes, totally free!
;)

Help! theres a hole in my bowl and my soup is leaking! lol

nice "round thing" how big is it? it looks a bit um bulky to me because theres nothing to show scale :doh: im a little slow

nice work :2tsup: ................do you get on the lathe everyday? it seems you have something new every night............... i think ill have to get off my ass and make something soon damn work! :((

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 07:59 PM
Help! theres a hole in my bowl and my soup is leaking! lol

nice "round thing" how big is it? it looks a bit um bulky to me because theres nothing to show scale :doh: im a little slow

nice work :2tsup: ................do you get on the lathe everyday? it seems you have something new every night............... i think ill have to get off my ass and make something soon damn work! :((

Patrick

AT the moment I'm working full time on the lathe. That is around 4 solid hours, broken up into bits, maybe a bit more. In between I prepare, put beads on, glue things to my fingers, and type advertising hype. :)

It's smallish because I only have small blanks. I don't know how small, it's in the other room and I'm lazy. The lip is bulky because I was frightened of the drill holes - I drilled first. The bottom is thin - I think I almost went through! The sides are middling. I'll get it right eventually. I think this is only my 5th bowl.

I want to get some larger blanks for these.

thefixer
18th February 2009, 08:05 PM
G'day Eliza

If it's bigger blanks your after I know of rather large dead mango tree just sitting around doing nothing somewhere up around your way:D

Cheers
Shorty

ElizaLeahy
18th February 2009, 08:24 PM
Bit green though...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th February 2009, 10:16 PM
So many hair sticks - what to put them in?

That is the never ending dilemma of the hair toy collector.

Haven't they heard about the new-fangled invention of "cups?" :D

Nicely done. Bit awkward to put bobby-pins or something in the middle when it's full of sticks though... perhaps the next one you turn should be on a centre stand, with larger holes so the sticks drop down further?

Gil Jones
19th February 2009, 03:47 AM
Neat hair stick thingies, and display holder.
Have to be careful eating soup with bobby pins in there.

Bill Travel
19th February 2009, 04:23 AM
Could you explain what a hair stick is used for ?

ElizaLeahy
19th February 2009, 08:46 AM
Good idea Skew :)

Problem is, the little drill I bought from Bunnies for $40 - the largest drill bit is 10mm. Didn't think of that when I bough it, did I? But most of them do drop when I lift it, so I think that the secret it smaller bumps on the hair sticks, maybe a round bastard that's bigger then the tiny one I have so I can clean up the holes, a stand and foot (new territory!) or a bigger bowl.

Eventually, a larger drill. Or - would a spade bit work???

ElizaLeahy
19th February 2009, 08:48 AM
Could you explain what a hair stick is used for ?

Holds up hair styles :)

Ozkaban
19th February 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi Eliza,

Nice Round Thing. Looks good with the other long round things...

A lot of drill bits that are larger than 10mm come with reduced shanks to fit the very common 10mm chuck. you should have no probs getting bigger bits for your drill. As much as I hate to say it, Bunnings will have a pretty decent selection.

cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
19th February 2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Eliza,

Nice Round Thing. Looks good with the other long round things...

A lot of drill bits that are larger than 10mm come with reduced shanks to fit the very common 10mm chuck. you should have no probs getting bigger bits for your drill. As much as I hate to say it, Bunnings will have a pretty decent selection.

cheers,
Dave

Makes me kinda upset then, that the guy there wouldn't get out of his up and down machiney thing to walk 10 paces and show me. Told me that the largest it would take is 10mm, and left it at that!

Ozkaban
19th February 2009, 09:22 AM
Makes me kinda upset then, that the guy there wouldn't get out of his up and down machiney thing to walk 10 paces and show me. Told me that the largest it would take is 10mm, and left it at that!

Ahhh, Bunnings. Does your heart right proud, it does.

BernieP
19th February 2009, 10:14 AM
G'Day Eliza

Nice thingee, those sharp sticks should keep the dog's snout out of your soup:U

Cheers
Bernie

rsser
19th February 2009, 12:41 PM
The local Bunnies used to stock reduced shank drill bits but no more, so let's not bag the shop assistant without good info eh?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2009, 01:33 PM
You could use spade bits to drill larger holes, provided you keep in mind that they tend to not cut as "cleanly" as a good drill bit.

Easily fixed... larger holes mean that, if needed, you can sand inside with a file or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or finger.

And I recommend that you either drill the blank first before turning or rough-turn to nearly final shape, drill, then remount for the finishing cuts. This avoids any hassles with the spade bit possibly lifting splinters of grain from the surface that need gluing back down. (Only happens to me occasionally, but 'tis bloody annoying when it does happen.)

It takes a bit of practice & a lot of patience to remount a piece in the chuck without a wobble, but who said turning was easy? :wink:

Ozkaban
19th February 2009, 01:40 PM
The local Bunnies used to stock reduced shank drill bits but no more, so let's not bag the shop assistant without good info eh?

Really? Wow. I was in Auburn about a week ago looking for a drill bit (it is very hard to find a 15mm drill bit at Bunnings that isn't a spade bit...) and I'm sure that there were reduced shank ones there.

As for bagging bunnings staff, I think that every one knows that there are plenty of good staff there, and there are plenty of not so good ones. Not meaning to jump to conclusions, but it is pretty easy to come across instances of pretty unknowledgeable staff. Still, if they have stopped stocking the drill bits, I withdraw any criticism unreservedly...

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
19th February 2009, 02:54 PM
That's why I like shops like South East Qld Woodworking Supplies where the man who is behind the counter is the man who owns the store. Knows where/what everything is and has the time and knowledge to stop and help you with it.

When you get a store where the staff are hired to be sales people, that is what and all they are. That's when you get limitations.

Especially with shops like Bunnings, where each department is seperate. I asked in Tools where fuse wire was, was sent to the other end of the store - looked on every shelf, when I finally managed to find a staff member for that area was told that they hadn't stocked fuse wire for ages.

I'll try a spade bit, I mount the blank on the face place - then drill the holes (already marked) then if anything needs changing I can change it while I'm turning.

Ozkaban
20th February 2009, 09:01 AM
I was thinking on this one, and realiased that a forstner bit would probably do the job and they typically have a small enough shank to fit in a 10mm drill (I think they're about 1/4"). Carbatec has a reasonable range of them...

Would cut a cleaner hole than a spade bit, though I'm not sure if it would have any significant tear-out on the back as I've only ever used them for drilling part way through something.

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
20th February 2009, 09:09 AM
Glad I make people think :)

I'll get one from Carba Tec today (if they have the size)

Tear out at the back isn't a problem as I drill the blank first and only go half way.