PDA

View Full Version : E S P 90 Woodtreatment

hotrod100
24th May 2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Guy's
I am currently reading a book entitled "The Art Of The Lathe" by Patrick Spielman, an excellent read by the way, but moving on to the point, under the chapter on "wood seasoning" the auther describes various drying method's ie peg etc in use, the last referal being the esp 90 method.
The name "ESP 90" is a acronym for Eugene Sexton Process that was developed in 1990 , apparently after years of testing, a four step cheap and simple process was created , that when used left the wood with no normal drying stress distortions.
In 1991 a company was set up ES TECH INC, to protect and market the process , the company claimed in there published data that :

A. THE PROCESS ELIMINATED THE BLUE STAIN'S IN WOOD

B. ELIMINATED CHECKING AND SPLITTING AS IN CONVENTIONAL
METHOD'S

C DRIES WOOD TO 8% MOISTURE CONTENT

The cost involved, approx $1.00 per tree, and the time involved equates to 100 trees per man day.

I have checked on the internet for any up-date on the matter but to no avail, I was wondering if any of our learned friend's on the forum can shed any light on the subject.
Thank's Rod
PS I still havent purchased a lathe yet I've checked a few out and I am leaning toward's a Jet 1642 with the variable speed, sell's for approx $2450.00 I would appreciate any comment from anyone with regard's to this make and model.
Thank's again ROD.

PAH1
25th May 2004, 09:57 AM
Name/process does not appear in Agricola/ Pubmed/ USPTO database. So It is not a published scientific process and was never patented nor even a trademark protection.

hotrod100
25th May 2004, 03:30 PM
PAH1
Thank's for the info PAH1, kinda make's you wonder what happened to the company or the system, particularly if it was that good .
Rod

Sprog
29th May 2004, 01:50 AM
Have a look at the threads in the rec.woodturning newsgroups about using Liquid Dishwashing Detergent to stabilise timber.

LDDThreads (http://tinyurl.com/2ee3z)

hotrod100
30th May 2004, 08:25 PM
Thank's Sprog
I checked out the thread's you posted, some interesting read's there. I have never heard of the LDD method of timber seasoning before, (but I am a newby to woodturning so I still have a lot to learn ).
I was wondering how widespread this system is used,? but in any event it's still a better use for liquid dishwashing detergent than HWMBO as in mind.
Cheer's Rod

Wood's Woods
27th April 2009, 08:27 AM
Hello, I have visited Eugene Sexton at his hime in Blairsville, GA, and he showed me some impressive smples of his drhying process. I don't know what he does to the wood. He keeps
his secret close to his chest. He has a webb site. Just go to ESP 90 on the internet and you'
will find his webb site. Ken Wood

OGYT
27th April 2009, 09:10 AM
I just sent him an email, inquiring about the licensing mentioned on the ESP 90 Website. Will let you know what answer I get.

Paul39
27th April 2009, 01:02 PM
I looked at the ESP-90 web site, and it seems that the process treats the seeds which then makes the tree have all the wonderful properties after it reaches marketable size.

gtwilkins
28th April 2009, 09:15 AM
Sounds like snake-oil to me, if it was all that it cracks up to be every major timber producer would be using it and all the tree farmers would be raving about it.

I have heard of more than several of these secret processes over the last 30 odd years here in BC but none of them ever seem to go anywhere.

One of the few (that seems to work) is a fellow I met that has a method of introducing dye into a growing tree and then the wood is permanently coloured, I have seen some of this wood and it is striking.

Trevor

bobsreturn2003
29th April 2009, 02:38 PM
i contacted him several years ago , he suggested i get aust govt to come up with a big cheque , and he would tell all . would like a big cheque myself though! think it may be detergent . as its ony cents to treat a tree! interesting though . and a pity he wont share . cheers bob

joe greiner
29th April 2009, 11:17 PM
I've had the Spielman book for several years, and I was also intrigued by the process. Also got the same results cited by PAH1 re the USPTO database.

I didn't dig very much deeper, but I got the impression that however great the process might be, the marketing posture has deficiencies. Apparently, he wants gummint(s) to buy him out before revealing the method. His R&D dedication is admirable, but it all comes across as a shakedown.

Cheers,
Joe