PDA

View Full Version : Glue question

Soren
24th May 2004, 06:08 PM
I have seen several times that Jake and Gavin on "Big Strong Boys" use a wood glie (2 part) where drops are applied to one surface and the mating surface is sprayed from a spraycan. The glue sets in about 10 seconds !!.
Anyone have an idea of what this product is, where to get it, and how suitable it is for gluing particle board

Bunyip
24th May 2004, 08:37 PM
Soren,

Only a guess here, but from your description sounds like it could be a cyanoacrylate type glue (Superglue) with a spray activator or catalyst. The activator speeds up the cure process (funny about that :rolleyes: ) and helps with adhesion of difficult surfaces (ie highly porous surfaces). If this is what you are after, check out model making shops. I think Carbatec also stock similar products (Hot Stuff).

journeyman Mick
24th May 2004, 11:41 PM
My local cabinetmaker's supply store stocks a similar product, 2 components one in a spray can and yes, it is cyanocrylate. I have no idea where Croydon Hills is or who Jake & Gavin are :confused: (so I'm wondering if you're in Australia) but I'm guessing you're nowhere near me so I won't bother with the name and address of my supplier. :( . If you're still stuck, next time I'm in there I'll get the name of the product.

Mick

Sturdee
25th May 2004, 12:00 AM
I have no idea where Croydon Hills is or who Jake & Gavin are :confused: (so I'm wondering if you're in Australia)

Mick, There is a Croydon Hills in Melbourne and Jake & Gavin were contestants on last years' The Block and now have their own tv show on cable.

Peter.

journeyman Mick
25th May 2004, 12:29 AM
Ah, the wonderful world of reality TV! My TV watching is down to about 2-3 hrs per week now, I am missing out on so much ;) (not)

Mick

smidsy
25th May 2004, 01:25 AM
FYI Guys,
Big Strong Boys is a pommie DIY show very similiar to Room For Improvement and it's shown on Fox 21.
That glue would be cyano, but from a model shop is horendously expensive - I used to use it when I built R/C aircraft.
Cheers
Smidsy

Soren
25th May 2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks for all your replies, looks like I am going shopping at either Cabatec or the model shop, and yes I am in Melbourne

Bunyip
25th May 2004, 01:55 PM
Soren,

Before you part with your hard earned, have you looked at any alternatives? There are literally thousands of glues and adhesives out there, each having strengths and weaknesses.

If you really do need an 'instant' bond, then you will be limited to cyanoacrylate based glues - it is comparatively expensive however.

scooter
25th May 2004, 09:27 PM
Soren, just a suggestion before you part with your hardearned. The spray can as Bunyip pointed out accelerates the bonding time, but I think I've read (more research needed) that just misting the other surface with water does the same job ????? I think these cyanoacrylates or superglues setting is caused by moisture in the joint???

Anyone else confirm this???

Cheers...........Sean

gatiep
25th May 2004, 09:45 PM
Scooter

Confirmed

During R/C modelling years we used to get balsa wood that was extremely dry. The Cyano would not go off. Used to wipe the balsa with a wet rag, leave it a vew minutes for the moisture to penetrate, then glue!

They do make a strange smelling accelerator for cyano, but water or water vapour, like in breating out over what you are joining, surely accelerates the process.

Cya
Joe