PDA

View Full Version : remote switch on a Powermatic

Daddy3x
22nd February 2009, 03:20 PM
I have about made up my mind to get a remote switch for my lathe, especially after "the incident" with the home made cole jaws. Any installed one? I have seen plans for making one, but not real keen on frying the box. I'd probably just order one, then try to figure out the install. Local wood shop offered to order me one for $150 :oo:

SawDustSniffer
22nd February 2009, 03:49 PM
i have a kick cable safty switch under my lathe
it's just pluged in the power and the lathe plugs into it

i fixed it to the legs of the lathe a bout shin height

hughie
23rd February 2009, 06:09 PM
I fitted a VSD to my mechanical vari-speed drive and this allowed me to add a pot for speed control.Along with that I converted the lathe to 3phase as well, a bit more torque etc. Wouldn't be with out it, well worth doing.

if Powermatic have a off the shelf model I would seriously look at it. Might be a bit pricey but at least its build for your lathe, much less stuffing around.

Daddy3x
24th February 2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the pics, much appreciated. I will start hunting down a stock switch, I can run wire fairly ok, but running the risk of botching up the lathe and putting me out of commision for a while is unbearable.

Gil Jones
24th February 2009, 05:48 PM
http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/
The DIY switch is simple and easy to make and wire up. Or call the folks below for a factory switch.

For the factory switch call Joseph Osolnik at 1-866-986-2555.
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/

These are good people.

bsrlee
25th February 2009, 03:21 AM
Professional Woodworking Supplies in Victoria sell a No-Volt type switch already wired up to fit a router table - this would also work for a lathe, just bolt the switch box to the lathe stand then plug the lathe power cord into one side of the box & the other cable from the box to the wall socket. If you want a 'crash bar' you can just make your own to fit over the switch box from some timber and a couple of hinges.

Carbatec in Auburn NSW had a bin full of Triton switch boxes - much the same thing without the zero volt feature. I should have bought more of them when I was there.