PDA

View Full Version : very low cost hollower

hughie
22nd February 2009, 08:43 PM
Here we go a simple but very effective hollower. Will cut coming or going and you can even on straight sides do a bit scraping with the parrallel section of the drill. But take it easy as it will bite a bit and leave a poor finish.

Until I saw the video, I never thought much about publishing the idea :doh:

I have had one for awhile and its a good use for old drill bits. Not sure how exactly he grinds the end, the video is a bit fuzzy.

I just grind mine into to bullnose drill shape. This gives me two cutting faces so there not alot of time lost resharpening and it will still drill a hole, yay! :2tsup: . The bull nose grind will give a hook edge so watch out, you may want to back it off so as to remove some of the hook.

But on real hard timber, the heat build up does not do the cutting edge on a regular drill much good :C . But then price..............:U
Ideally the best drill bits are the cobalt type, but not easy to come by

YouTube - Hollowing Tool Demo

ElizaLeahy
22nd February 2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, that's what I want. One of them things.

So I just get a large drill bit and a handle thingie that has a bit at the end where I can put it and stick the drill in there (looks about 2 inches of drill)?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd February 2009, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm... :think:

What size bore did you say you were planning for the big olands, Hughie?

hughie
22nd February 2009, 09:18 PM
Skew, 18mm. :U now that will be a mother of cutter :o 18mm drill bit! It might self feed abit.......... :charley:

But then if go for a split sleeve/s you can use a smaller drill bits etc :2tsup:

powderpost
22nd February 2009, 09:38 PM
Looks interesting...
Jim

SawDustSniffer
22nd February 2009, 10:23 PM
looks as if the drill he uses has only one flute instead of the normal 2 flutes
great idea , I'll have to make one

might also look for 1 Rollerblade , his stabilizer is great

QC Inspector
23rd February 2009, 06:18 AM
http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/2100101/HSS_2_Flute_Double_End

http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/2100104/HSS_2_Flute_Single_End

I wonder how ball nose end mills would work? (Links are to illustrate.) They may not need to be sharpened.

robutacion
23rd February 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone,
Most certainly a nice "discovery" for us, mainly if you already own a metal handle-shaft.

My only problem is that I can't get any clear image of the actual grind of this bit. All images I saw are distorted to make up exactly how if did shape that drill.
Soon someone will come up with a better pic, I bet...!

Are those single or double ended bits shown by QC Inspector the same grind as the one on the video?

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

hughie
23rd February 2009, 04:49 PM
[

I wonder how ball nose end mills would work? (Links are to illustrate.) They may not need to be sharpened.
[/QUOTE]

Try bull nose slot drills they have two flutes only. No grinding at all. :2tsup:

SawDustSniffer
23rd February 2009, 04:49 PM
gave it a go today
just stuck a 10mm drill in the end of my Chucked Handle (posted 2 years ago )

it worked with a normal drill sharpen quite well
so i ground it some more
worked even better
so i ground it like a gouge ( what i think was shown in the fuzzy pics )

i found that the flutes dig into the tool rest and resist free movement so i cut down some tube stock i had witch fixed that problem

it works well but don't sell you chisel stocks just yet , the drill starts to flex quite badly ,the deeper you go, grub screwing a short bit into 20mm rod might help that

1st pic is of my chisel handle with drill bit and collar
2nd pick is view of the final grind from the top
3rd pic is the view from the bottom
4th pic is a side view with the cutting edge facing down

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd February 2009, 06:01 PM
i found that the flutes dig into the tool rest and resist free movement so i cut down some tube stock i had witch fixed that problem

it works well but don't sell you chisel stocks just yet , the drill starts to flex quite badly ,the deeper you go, grub screwing a short bit into 20mm rod might help that

That's what I was expecting. I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy any drill bits just for making into turning tools... but I've always one or two broken bits lying around. It'll be nice to finally find a use for them besides filling my bin. :)

Sadly, most of my broken bits are 5mm or smaller - even I ain't quite such a butcher as to regularly break bigger ones! :rolleyes:

hughie
23rd February 2009, 06:15 PM
Skew,

Chase around for some slot drills, damaged etc from local eng. shops. Some resharpen the bigger ones, you might get lucky.
Secondly Hare and Forbes have a second hand section with old drills, end mills, slot drills etc, they have a branch in Melbourne.

Pat
23rd February 2009, 07:38 PM
Boys, would old MT2 drill bits work. I have 1/2 dozen roughly 1/2" to 1" in diameter.

Hughie, I could send them to you or deliver them, depending on where in Sydney you are?

wheelinround
23rd February 2009, 07:50 PM
Boys, would old MT2 drill bits work. I have 1/2 dozen roughly 1/2" to 1" in diameter.

Hughie, I could send them to you or deliver them, depending on where in Sydney you are?

That would kill to birds with one stone Pat you could call in here also

weisyboy
23rd February 2009, 07:54 PM
no pic on his website either.:((