PDA

View Full Version : First Segmented Turning

Michael Brazeau
24th February 2009, 12:31 PM
I have been lurking on this forum for a while and thought I would share my first segmented work. In fact, this is my fourth lathe project since buying the lathe. This bowl took about 20 hours to make, but I think I could do it in about 12 hours if I were to make another like this.

The bowl is about 10" wide, 6.5" high and composed of 109 segments.

I did alot of research before starting this project. I have a couple of good books on segmented turning, one being Ray Allen's book and the other Malcolm Tidbitt's book. Both are excellent books to learn segmented turning.

Any comments/criticism welcomed.

Ed Reiss
24th February 2009, 01:01 PM
Welcome Michael:2tsup:

Nice looking bowl...seems you have a knack for segmenting.

The only comment I have is that our Aussie friends, for some reason that escapes me, like to use metric measurements (I'm still learning):roll:

poulso
24th February 2009, 01:05 PM
G'day Michael
Welcome to the forum
Nice bowl .Well done:2tsup:

artme
24th February 2009, 06:25 PM
G'day Michael and goodonya for joing the fun!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Fabulous bowl!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
24th February 2009, 10:18 PM
Nice bowl Michael, well done.
Jim

ElizaLeahy
25th February 2009, 09:36 AM
Beautiful bowl - and this is only the 4th thing you have ever turned????

Seriously envy here!

Jim Carroll
25th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Welcome Michael:2tsup:

Nice looking bowl...seems you have a knack for segmenting.

The only comment I have is that our Aussie friends, for some reason that escapes me, like to use metric measurements (I'm still learning):roll:

Dont worry about imperial or metric as long as there is an indication of size is all that matters, most rulers have both.

Not a bad bowl for your 4th go.

joe greiner
25th February 2009, 11:05 PM
Excellent, Michael.:2tsup:

And, for Ed & Jim: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=57866&highlight=international+sport

Cheers,
Joe

Ad de Crom
25th February 2009, 11:18 PM
Yes Michael, super job for the first segmented turning. Can't wait to see more.
Ad :2tsup:

robutacion
26th February 2009, 02:52 AM
I have been lurking on this forum for a while and thought I would share my first segmented work. In fact, this is my fourth lathe project since buying the lathe. This bowl took about 20 hours to make, but I think I could do it in about 12 hours if I were to make another like this.

The bowl is about 10" wide, 6.5" high and composed of 109 segments.

I did alot of research before starting this project. I have a couple of good books on segmented turning, one being Ray Allen's book and the other Malcolm Tidbitt's book. Both are excellent books to learn segmented turning.

Any comments/criticism welcomed.

Hi Michael,

As other forumates have already stated, this is a well design, put together and finished piece, no doubt. I like the piece in general but is one "detail" of it that makes the whole thing a very nice package, there is the "signature" info, design, style and execution. That itself is nearly as a work of art the the rest of the piece is, for me off-course...!:D

One of the things I don't have, never had and never will is, to have an natural artistic calligraphy, on in another words, a decent and well balanced hand writing...!:no:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Michael Brazeau
26th February 2009, 10:41 AM
The signature was done with a wood burning pen, another hobby I like to do. I don't have the neatest handwriting either, however the woodburning pen is very forgiving!

Oeistein
27th February 2009, 03:57 AM
G´day Michael and welcome to the forum.
Your bowl is a good looking piece here from Norway too.

Argurion
27th February 2009, 10:52 AM
Great work ,

Thought I would get your thoughts on turning a chessman. The height will be 40cm (about 1.5 feet) and 28cm (1 foot) wide at the base. Getting a single piece of wood that size has proved difficult (actually getting one hasn't been but getting 32 is a struggle, especailly as the king stands 60cm (24 inches) tall. I figured io would glue together a number of longer planks adn then turn them. Any hints on joining planks together.

What type of glue for instance?

Michael Brazeau
28th February 2009, 02:19 AM
Sounds like segmeneted construction would be your best bet. I could not believe how much less wood is required with this method.

I believe the method of segmented construction that would work best for you is called stave construction. It is segmented construction, just using longer pieces.

I know alot of people use original titebond for segmented pieces, however I use Titebond III. I'm sure your results would be good with either. The more important thing with segmented construction is to ensure good tight miters and enough glue in the joint.

Here is a link to get you started:
http://jlrodgers.com/pdf/stave_segmented_turning.pdf

I would also suggest Malcolm Tibbitt's book called The Art of Segmented Turning. It has some good instructions on stave construction.
Amazon has one for about $20: Amazon.com: The Art of Segmented Wood Turning: A Step-by-Step Guide: Malcolm Tibbetts: Books

Hope this helps.