PDA

View Full Version : Box joint jig

Rocker
26th May 2004, 12:05 PM
Here are some pictures of a box-joint jig, made according to plans kindly sent to me by DPB. The unique feature of this jig is that it is micro-adjustable for both the width of the finger and for the distance of the finger from the saw blade or router cutter, by means of two threaded rods. One feature that gave me some hassles was that the design calls for threaded insert nuts inserted into the end-grain of the fence and the rear adjustment block. I was unable to obtain threaded inserts, so I substituted tee-nuts epoxied into holes in the end-grain. If I were making another jig, I would modify the design of the micro-adjustment system, by glueing on hardwood blocks with threaded holes tapped in them for the threaded rods to engage with. Tapping threads into end-grain is a waste of time, since the tapped thread rapidly crumbles - it is essential to tap holes across the grain of hardwood.

Rocker

Dust Maker
26th May 2004, 03:10 PM
Is there any chance of posting the plan???

Thanks

Dust Maker

Rocker
26th May 2004, 04:47 PM
Dust Maker,

The plans are pretty complex - 8 pages of text and diagrams, and copyright concerns preclude my posting the plans here. But I have forwarded a copy to Derek Cohen a couple of days ago. If you contact him, he will probably forward them to you.

Rocker