PDA

View Full Version : 11 pen blanks in excange for a finished pen!

Pages : [1] 2

robutacion
26th February 2009, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone,

OK, I am prepared to supply 11 pen banks (size 1" x 1" x 5" 1/2 long) to anyone, anywhere, in exchange of having you to make 1 (one) complete pen (any style, finish and other at your choice). My friends are getting sick and tired of the normal bowls, platers, plates, vases, candle holders, UHF vessels, jowllery boxes, etc, etc, as presents, gifts, I need to give them something different for a change, and pens I know will please most of them. I would like also to built a pens display wall unit for myself, I like pens but not making them, that's all.

I will supply 11 blanks of 10 different timbers, so for the blank that I select for you to make a pen from, I will sent 2 so that you will have another piece the same for yourself!

All blanks will be squared on a table-saw and cut to one length on a drop-saw, end grain sealed with clear wax 1" up or so.

The timber species I have at the moment are:
1- Golden Cypress (Macrocarpa) trunk timber
2- Golden Cypress ( " ) root timber
3- Pink/Rose Gum
4- Blue River Gum
5- Yellow Gum
6- Red Gum
7- Spotted Gum
8- Curly/Twisted Gum
9- Ancient very dark brown Gum
10- Poplar
11- Liquid Amber
12- Willow
13- Radiata Pine
14- She-oak/Bull-oak
15- Bay tree (Bay leaf relative)
16- Black Wattle
17- Silver Wattle
18- Golden Wattle
19- Almond tree
20- Wild olive (darker yellow and less heartwood)
21- Maggestic Olive (good mixed colours)
22- Old Olive Root (burl look a like)
23- Melaleuca
24- Cork tree
25- at least another 5 species not yet identified!

Most of these timbers are well dried, blanks not totally dry, will be identified (marked)

Now, the way I am thinking in doing this is like this;
*- PM me with to put you on my "doers" list, I will provide my postal details.
*- You will send me a prepaid and self-addressed 3 kg mail bag.
*- I will post to you 11 mixed blanks, with the one I want made for myself marked.
* - From the date the bag leaves here, 5210 - SA, I would expect to receive the finished pen by post, in within 4 weeks (1 month), freight at your own cost also.

I will open a new thread on the forum, reporting and showing the blanks sent to each one and the pen made as the exchange. This can be simple way to have your work advertised and shown to everyone.

At this time, and for those that have already produced 1 (one) finished pen, I'm considering to give the option to the pen maker to select the timbers (mixed) he/she wants for the 10 blanks or even all 10 of the same species
plus one (different or not) which will be my selection for the making of the exchange pen.

My intention is to make full use of the timbers that are available to me, make them available to others, in exchange for a 1 (one) complete hand made pen, only (no case). I'm not sure of the end cost for the person making the pen under this offer, I know that a 3kg prepaid bag is needed for the 11 blanks (some timbers heavier then others) and that costs about AU$9.50, then is the small padded envelope or other (no idea of cost),(whatever you guys use) to get the finished pen to me, and then the cost for the pen kit and finish, etc.

I need to make certain that this offer has some value for you pen maker also, otherwise it will not happen so, I would like to hear what you have to say about this. Is this doable?, Is this offer fair enough?, what are your thoughts then?

Well, I never though in selling pen blanks for some time but, it people end-up liking my timber blanks and would like to stock up a few extra, then I suppose I can always keep cutting some more, no problem nor I will run out of most timbers in a hurry, for sure...! Prices? we will work that later if it eventuates.

Am I going to have some pens made? please tell me!

PS: IMPORTANT UPDATE: There are hundreds of timber species all over, here or overseas, and I only have a very "tinny" number of those so, if you have any timber that is suitable for pen making and I don't have listed, please let me know, I would be more than happy to send you the 11 blanks, regardless if you are going to use any of them for my pen. This also apply to other materials (any possible) that people use to make pens.
I would like to see variety on that wall board, and that is only going to be possible, with these options available to you! Thanks.

It also includes anyone, anywhere on this planet heart. Freight costs (for the 11 blanks) will be provided to you and will be your responsibility to cover its value by making a wire transfer (or similar) to me. This will be done on case by case, blanks selection alters the final weight and destination makes a big difference. Let me know if you want in, your location and if you have any new timber species addiction (timbers from your area, country) for my collection.

Use the PM forum system for personal information, please!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

QC Inspector
26th February 2009, 06:24 AM
Nice offer and since my girlfriend is wearing out my lathe making pens, some of your woods would tickle her to no end. Unless we look for commercially sold blanks most of what you have isn't readily available here. Maybe 2 pens for more samples? We could work out a swap, but sending you a prepaid mailer form here probably won't work with the mailing companies. Are you interested in pens with wood from western Canada?

gawdelpus
26th February 2009, 07:36 AM
Hehe! great idea for energy exchange , count me in . Pm sent :)

Ozkaban
26th February 2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like fun. Count me in! PM sent.

BoomerangInfo
26th February 2009, 07:47 AM
Hi there,

Interesting offer, but I think I'm swamped with other stuff at the moment.

Looking at the economics of the situation, I'd see it running like this

1. Sending you a prepaid envelope $9.60 + $1 tough bag + $1.10 postage
2. Pen Kit - avg cheaper but decent kit $10
3. Avg consumables per pen $1
4. Velvet sleeve for protection $0.30c
5. Postage back to you - prepaid 500g padded bag $5.50

Sub-total $28.50. I think I've covered actual costs except for things like transport to/from the post office. Obviously kit choice can vary down to about $3 for the cheapest, and upwards by $80+.

So that's the minimum "value" that the blanks should be measured against.

From there it becomes a measure of how generous people are with the cost of their effort vs the worth they place on the timbers you have. General blank costs for non-burl timbers run about $1 - $2 per blank, plus postage.

Russell.

ElizaLeahy
26th February 2009, 08:45 AM
For some reason I've lost my pm function... Maybe I can grab you on a past msg.

I haven't done a pen yet, but I've done a few keyrings. Trust me? :)

NO GUM!!! It's HARD!!!!!! LOL

I'll go see if an old PM of ours is around.

va3jff
26th February 2009, 09:00 AM
Interesting idea ...

PM Sent.

Ozkaban
26th February 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi there,

Sub-total $28.50. I think I've covered actual costs except for things like transport to/from the post office. Obviously kit choice can vary down to about $3 for the cheapest, and upwards by $80+.

From there it becomes a measure of how generous people are with the cost of their effort vs the worth they place on the timbers you have. General blank costs for non-burl timbers run about $1 - $2 per blank, plus postage.

Russell.

Hi Russel,

You're right - this offer has more appeal based on variety and having a bit of fun than on pure economics, unless robutacion wants to up the number of pen blanks included :;

cheers,
Dave

chrisb691
26th February 2009, 11:58 AM
I would be interested in this. A couple of points come to mind:-

Will you be marking up the blanks with the wood identification?

I would prefer the blanks to be in pairs, so that there will be the oportunity to make pen sets in matching woods.

OGYT
26th February 2009, 04:34 PM
You lucky downunder dawgs! Pity I live in the upover... Such a deal!!!

robutacion
26th February 2009, 04:51 PM
Nice offer and since my girlfriend is wearing out my lathe making pens, some of your woods would tickle her to no end. Unless we look for commercially sold blanks most of what you have isn't readily available here. Maybe 2 pens for more samples? We could work out a swap, but sending you a prepaid mailer form here probably won't work with the mailing companies. Are you interested in pens with wood from western Canada?

G'day QC Inspector,

I had early today a similar request from overseas which make me realize that some procedures need to be different for overseas forumates. This is not problem, if you read my Update on the original thread, you will see that I've counted for you guys & girls. In within Australia territory, the pre-paid and self addressed bags are indeed a great tool from the Australian Post Service, for this type of situations, where voids all the troubles of the money transfers, etc, but when necessary, and no other easier option is available, a man got to do what a man got to do...!huh...???

Lots of people have a Paypal account in our days, one of the most effective, safer and quicker ways to get things paid in places like eBay. Transfer money in between Paypal account holders, is the easiest thing in the world, very fast, no questions asked...! free for the person that pays (transfer), a little cost % for the receiver, but well worth it, just for its simplicity!

For the time that takes to open an account with Paypal and what is needed, I would suggest for you to have a look and decide if this would make things easier for international or not money transfers. Your choice!
No, I don't have any connection with Paypal interests, apart from being a normal account holder!:doh::q

RBTCO

robutacion
26th February 2009, 05:58 PM
Hi there,

Russell.

Hi Russel,

Thanks for your thoughts and your economics on this idea of mine. I had done a "preliminary" estimation on the costs for the pen maker, and my figures are a little lower, based on some information that I collected. One of the savings is with the way the bag is sent to me, if folded properly and inserted in a normal size envelope, it will cost you .55c (a had dozens sent like that), which will total $9.60+.55c=$10.15 for the prepaid, self addressed bag. For sending the pen back to me, you should be able to do better then the $5.50 but, I will go and see the local Post Office manager and discuss the options. I will report here, as soon as I know more!
In relation to the pen kit each person is going to use, I have made no specifications of any styles, models, colours, sizes or other, which mean that I'm working on the bases of being reasonable and fair. I did not put any price on any of my various timber species blanks, for that same reason. You can by pen blanks for as low as .50c each, and the average prices for non-burl blanks can possibly be what you say, and I have no problem with that, I should say tough that I have some timbers that will be cut as pen blanks for this offer of mine, that can worth as much as the more expensive pen kit ones can buy (not gold, obviously). These will be supplied as a one the varieties I'm sending in the bag. I will be asking for people to make a pen out of such type bank but, I'm offering another one the same for this same person to keep. Is very difficult to put a price on people's art work or time to produce (make) a pen, nor is possible to put a price on what people are prepare to pay for some timber pieces.
I have modestly asked for people opinions about how fair they think my offer is, and you done just that which I very much appreciate. At the same times, this gives me the opportunity to explain some reasons of my own, hoping that people see it for what it is. I can understand some people's hesitation with my offer at first, I can guarantee there are no "monkey business" or "oakers-poakers" with any of this. I don't have the available money to buy pens from everyone, but I have timbers that are capable of producing the best pens in the world. Putting my timbers the time of making the blanks and the time necessary to select-pack-post & keep the paper work in order so that I know what I'm doing, against a single pen, can be a little risky for me also. After all, I'm accepting what people is willing to give in return, I win some I will lose some BUT, no questions asked!

Each one of the pens will be shown on a thread, together with a little story/explanation of what it is, the maker, etc. In the end of the day, I am fully confident that people will do what they thing is right, the positives of such idea will become "obvious" for all parts involved, as the different stages progress.

The original number of blanks offered has to do also but not only, with the total weight of some very heavy timbers, at this time I would like to keep it as is, and if I believe that I can do better, I will!

I hope that my answer is satisfactory to you Russel!:wink:

RBTCO

robutacion
26th February 2009, 06:18 PM
I would be interested in this. A couple of points come to mind:-

Will you be marking up the blanks with the wood identification?

I would prefer the blanks to be in pairs, so that there will be the oportunity to make pen sets in matching woods.

Hi chrisb691,

Yes, all blanks will be identified. The only thing you need to do is print the list I gave on my first thread, instead of writing the names on the blanks, each one will have a number, that number will correspond with the list I provided, making thinks a little let confusing. How you are going to mark (identify) that blank after in your possession, is up to you.

I have no problems is supplying you with blanks in pairs, I understand the reasons why so, you have no problems with that. The only negative of that is that you only get 6 species max., unless...!:o:doh:

Hummmm, I can just see peoples thoughts on this, well if "he" order a second lot then he will get all the species originally supplied in a bag, huh?:;

At this time, I would like to say YES but, I will keep that decision for a little latter on, depending of how many people want to do this, and how much timber I need to cut for this purpose alone! Sounds fair?:D

RBTCO

robutacion
26th February 2009, 06:20 PM
You lucky downunder dawgs! Pity I live in the upover... Such a deal!!!

Hi OGYT,
Not really...! is all up to you this time.:oo:

RBTCO

gawdelpus
26th February 2009, 07:46 PM
well put all round,pretty clear as to what is what :) Sounds like a real "pen Swap" hehe , my only concern is you may get swamped with offers ,sounds like a major undertaking to me , in the main it's a matter of whats fair all round to everybody , most folk are pretty generous with their time and skills, only gotta see what happens in "pen swaps" to see that. To me whatever the costs I know it will come back to me , like most I give pens away sometimes to friends ,sometimes to relatives , and always to wood suppliers hehe. Cheers :D

BoomerangInfo
26th February 2009, 09:39 PM
I hope that my answer is satisfactory to you Russel!:wink:

RBTCO

Oh that's all fine. I wasn't trying to say your offer was a good or bad deal, you just asked originally about the value of doing it. I haven't tried to shove a 3Kg bag in a plain envelope, so if it fits, that'd be a decent saving.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to get a pen sent for less than $5.50. It's $4.20 for a 0 - 250g parcel, the cheapest you can get, plus a small postpak to put it in will run you minimum 0.95c unless you buy in bulk for the discount. For the 0.35c saving, the prepaid bags give you much more room to be flexible with more secure packaging, plus they're up to 500gms. A standard parcel for 500gms is $5.40, but then you have to add a package cost as well. So the 500gm prepaid satchels really are excellent value.

I guess you might be able to slip just a pen in a toughbag and try and slip it through as a large letter, as long s you can get the final parcel less than 20mm thick. Then it's only cost $1.10 to send. But if I were sending a pen to someone, I wouldn't take the risk as it wouldn't be a enough protection and the pen would probably be ruined in transit.

Also, I was probably a bit uncharitable with the blank cost. I was simply trying to describe what the stock standard "common" timber blanks are selling for. A lot of your list is not generally commonly available, therefore increasing their intrinsic value. I can't comment on the amount of figure in those timbers, which also increases perceived value, as I haven't seen most of them myself. I'll be keep to see some of the results though, and add the finished results to the "catalogue" of woods running around inside my head.

As I said originally, my time is the enemy for me, not the cost, i just have too many other things on to be able to guarantee a result. Heck, it took me two months to do my swap pen!

Hope it goes well for you.

Russell.

Fireman sam
26th February 2009, 10:25 PM
Iam in with this offer PM sent :2tsup:
Andrew

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2009, 11:05 PM
I can see that someone's gonna be up to their ears in pens... :D

robutacion
27th February 2009, 02:40 AM
Oh that's all fine. I wasn't trying to say your offer was a good or bad deal, you just asked originally about the value of doing it. I haven't tried to shove a 3Kg bag in a plain envelope, so if it fits, that'd be a decent saving.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to get a pen sent for less than $5.50. It's $4.20 for a 0 - 250g parcel, the cheapest you can get, plus a small postpak to put it in will run you minimum 0.95c unless you buy in bulk for the discount. For the 0.35c saving, the prepaid bags give you much more room to be flexible with more secure packaging, plus they're up to 500gms. A standard parcel for 500gms is $5.40, but then you have to add a package cost as well. So the 500gm prepaid satchels really are excellent value.

I guess you might be able to slip just a pen in a toughbag and try and slip it through as a large letter, as long s you can get the final parcel less than 20mm thick. Then it's only cost $1.10 to send. But if I were sending a pen to someone, I wouldn't take the risk as it wouldn't be a enough protection and the pen would probably be ruined in transit.

Also, I was probably a bit uncharitable with the blank cost. I was simply trying to describe what the stock standard "common" timber blanks are selling for. A lot of your list is not generally commonly available, therefore increasing their intrinsic value. I can't comment on the amount of figure in those timbers, which also increases perceived value, as I haven't seen most of them myself. I'll be keep to see some of the results though, and add the finished results to the "catalogue" of woods running around inside my head.

As I said originally, my time is the enemy for me, not the cost, i just have too many other things on to be able to guarantee a result. Heck, it took me two months to do my swap pen!

Hope it goes well for you.

Russell.

Thanks Russel, I understood your line of thinking from the very beginning and I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to expand a some issues based on your questions, you served the purpose quite well.

You are welcome at any time to be part of this and make me a pen, if you can find a little spare time and want some local timbers.

Interestingly, you mention about the pen to need be about 12mm thick with the envelope to be sent in a envelope, and that brings me to another observation made today by another interested forumate in relation to my pen blanks size. I did mention that I'm cutting them 1"x 1", and according to some pen makers, if the blank is sliced with a very fine saw (scroll-saw), you can get 4 blanks out of each one. I'm no expert in pen making, but apparently they are a few styles of pens that are quite thin, with the 12mmx12mm approx., resulting from splitting my original blanks more than enough the make them. If this is the case, those that use the thinner pen kits will end-up with enough wood for 43 spare pens, wow :o Don't worry, even knowing this, the blanks will be sent at 1"x1", as originally mentioned.:D

PS: I recently notice lots of pens being made for swaps and to our troops overseas, I'm not sure if my idea will be of some help for these pens makers, as they will be probably looking for some blanks to do the pens with, this could help them a bit, mainly if they are making the thinner pens. Some how, I hope this will become and added bonus to the pen makers and not just an extra job!

All good mate...!:;
RBTCO

robutacion
27th February 2009, 03:20 AM
I can see that someone's gonna be up to their ears in pens... :D

Hahahaha Skew, some how, I hope you're right...!

I will set a limit right now, I will cut no more than 10 (ten) cubic meters of pen blanks, or fill my wall display at my puter room, full wall 2,400 high x 4,200 meters wide, of pens displayed side by side, which comes first. How many I can fit? I haven't worked out yet but I reckon many hundreds...! I will be using that perfureted paneling, I forgot the name (2,4 x 1,2 meters x 3mm thick sheets), I only have then to make small curved wire hooks, 2 per pen, and voila...!

Every time I need to offer a gift pen, I draw a number in the computer, that number will correspond to a particular pen (as every pen will have a number written on the board where they are displayed. The computer will also locate that pen as per the system used on a Street directory (A-13 / G-4, etc).

I will always know who done that pen, as the pens are arriving I will give it a number, and on that number spread sheet data, all the other information will be there, maker, finish, pen type, timber used, etc, etc.

Another way of giving the gift, for those able to drive to my place, I will introduce the wall of pens to my guest, and ask him/her to draw a number. Take him/her out of the room as soon as the number is drawn, and go and have some dinner or a drink or something. This will increase the expectation and excitement out of this friend, I reckon...!:doh: when all settles, another visit to the wall of pens, will identify the pen that will leave and empty space, but will make someone happy, well, so I hope.

It sounds too much work, doesn't it, and a hell of time to get it all done, huh?
Like any other project, it takes time as effort. I would like this to be a fun and interesting process from the very beginning (yesterday) and all through out, including the gift offer process, which I'm expecting to be elirious on some occasions :B. Certainly looking forward to all that, this is my plan and this is what I will try to achieve with the help of the forumates pen makers, obviously!

RBTCO

gawdelpus
27th February 2009, 10:40 AM
A worthy challenge indeed ! hehe with a limited number of available kits , and the wood provided by yourself with some limitations also, be interesting to see how many variations you come up with in the end :) . I already know what mine is hehe ! cheers :)

Ozkaban
27th February 2009, 01:12 PM
Hi RBTCO,

Posted the envelope containing an envelope today...

Cheers,
Dave

munruben
27th February 2009, 01:13 PM
I will set a limit right now, I will cut no more than 10 (ten) cubic meters of pen blanks, or fill my wall display at my puter room, full wall 2,400 high x 4,200 meters wide, of pens displayed side by side, Wow!, that sure is some quantity of pens you are expecting to have. One could say, a commercial quantity. I guess if you decided to sell them off, you would make a small fortune. But then again, that wasn't what you had in mind was it.

robutacion
27th February 2009, 04:33 PM
Wow!, that sure is some quantity of pens you are expecting to have. One could say, a commercial quantity. I guess if you decided to sell them off, you would make a small fortune. But then again, that wasn't what you had in mind was it.

Hi munruben,

Absolutely not...! why would I go through all this trouble, if money was the objective? I would make 3 times more money (at least), just by selling the raw blanks, and 10 times faster...!:o
The number of pens I end-up with, is probably (I nearly could say "I'm sure") a lot less that everyone can estimate.
Do I have enough timber to produce a high number of pens? I sure do. Would I cut some logs as pen blanks only, absolutely not! Would I run out, not a chance!:o:;

My projected objectives, limits, reasons and expectations have been already clearly set so, I will work from there and see what happens...!:wink::D

Que sera, sera...!:U

RBTCO

daf
28th February 2009, 01:44 PM
Hi ,

I live in Adelaide - would be definately interested in your offer. I make slimline pens, wood only at this time, hoping to try some resin casting later.

pm me if you want location details - as said I am on the northern side of Adelaide.

Dave

robutacion
28th February 2009, 03:58 PM
Hi ,

I live in Adelaide - would be definately interested in your offer. I make slimline pens, wood only at this time, hoping to try some resin casting later.

pm me if you want location details - as said I am on the northern side of Adelaide.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your interest.

I can see 2 ways of going about this, if you live in the Adelaide area. The first one is, you come for a drive (I will provide details by PM), get your pen blanks, and who knows, maybe a few extra "goodies"!
The second option will be the same pre-paid, self addressed 3 kg mail bag. This can sound a bit silly being close but, being close, still means 100km or more of traveling, each way so, and unless you have the time and want to travel up here, the $10.50 or for the bag is a lot less than the fuel needed to cover 200 km+ distance. I would prefer to see you here tough!:;

PS: While I'm here, how many sizes are there for pen blanks, thickness and length? I've got so far; 5/8 x 5/8 x 5" - 3/4 x 3/4 x 5" - 7/8 x 7/8 x 5 " 1/2. I work in metric so some of this measurements need to be translated but, and apart from that, is any more sizes? I would like to know then all if possible! thanks.

RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
28th February 2009, 05:37 PM
I've made every pen from a 19 x 19 x 130mm blank so far. It's wasteful for smaller pens, but gives me an allowance for not drilling straight.

Russell.

robutacion
1st March 2009, 12:57 AM
Hi peoples,

I never had much to do with pen making, nor I'm that familiar with the different styles pen kits available out there. Since I started my offer, I have become aware of these bullet pens, which I didn't know what they were or how they look like until, a while ago I as reading another thread and I've seen a beautiful pen that looked like was make with a rifle shell and projectile, and that look very appealing to me, for many reasons, the main one would be a representation of my professional shooting career that ended 4 years ago. What I'm trying to say is that if anyone has some of those kits, I would be most then thankful to have some made out of them, I really would!

Anyway, will see what happens...!:D

RBTCO

mick61
1st March 2009, 08:21 AM
G`day you will have to get someone local to make the bullit pen you can`t post it.
Mick:D

munruben
1st March 2009, 01:02 PM
Hi munruben,

Absolutely not...! why would I go through all this trouble, if money was the objective? I would make 3 times more money (at least), just by selling the raw blanks, and 10 times faster...!:o
The number of pens I end-up with, is probably (I nearly could say "I'm sure") a lot less that everyone can estimate.
Do I have enough timber to produce a high number of pens? I sure do. Would I cut some logs as pen blanks only, absolutely not! Would I run out, not a chance!:o:;

My projected objectives, limits, reasons and expectations have been already clearly set so, I will work from there and see what happens...!:wink::D

Que sera, sera...!:U

RBTCOSorry if I offended you,, my original comments were made "tongue in cheek" I wans't having a go at you or your idea. Good luck with it. :2tsup:

daf
1st March 2009, 04:45 PM
By all means, if you could pm, that would be great. Alternatively the bag idea is a good option as well.

Hope to hear from you soon.

robutacion
2nd March 2009, 01:24 AM
By all means, if you could pm, that would be great. Alternatively the bag idea is a good option as well.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sure,
PM sent

RBTCO

robutacion
2nd March 2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry if I offended you,, my original comments were made "tongue in cheek" I wans't having a go at you or your idea. Good luck with it. :2tsup:

G'day munruben,

Not so much offended, just I believe, an unnecessary comment. On the other hand, I don't believe that you were the only one to thing it that way so, if nothing else, will answer that question very clearly.

If you make pens and would like to make me one, you're welcome to put your name down for some blanks, no problem.!:wink:

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 04:12 PM
How many bags have you got so far?

I hope that mine gets to you - I'm certain I posted that last one, but maybe not. Many things were happening at the time!

I know I posted it this time :) Hope it gets there QUICK!!! :)

robutacion
2nd March 2009, 07:56 PM
How many bags have you got so far?

I hope that mine gets to you - I'm certain I posted that last one, but maybe not. Many things were happening at the time!

I know I posted it this time :) Hope it gets there QUICK!!! :)

I Eliza,

It is possible that your bag is waiting at the PO Box. I was going to check it this afternoon, 27km away but then I though,t that I would have better chances to get a extra bags if I would wait until tomorrow so, I will go for a drive tomorrow!:D
Don't worry, you will get your "sticks":doh::U

RBTCO

Touchwood
2nd March 2009, 10:31 PM
G`day you will have to get someone local to make the bullit pen you can`t post it.
Mick

OK to start off I'll admit I'm blonde!!!! but surely if the shell/bullet has been fired there is no risk in the mail!! Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have a stash of shells and was about to offer to have a go for RBTCO (- also admitting to be a novice as these pens but willing to have a go) and I"m definitely NOT local

JD
AAARRRGGHHH why did my quote do that????

gawdelpus
2nd March 2009, 11:10 PM
I post these things all over the place no problems at all, they are just a piece of brass, no more lethal or dangerous than the brass tubes already inside the pens :) So have a go ! cheers :)

Touchwood
2nd March 2009, 11:49 PM
phew!!! that's what I would have thought!!

Thanks for your response gawdelpus, I don't like to rock the boat too much.

JD

gawdelpus
3rd March 2009, 12:00 AM
Hehe! seems "common sense" is very uncommon sometimes, the most dangerous things about these things is the words that they may write :) ,mind I wouldn't mention bullet or rifle on the postal description :D but I have even had these sent from overseas as kits at one time ,still no problems :)

robutacion
3rd March 2009, 01:38 AM
Hehe! seems "common sense" is very uncommon sometimes, the most dangerous things about these things is the words that they may write :) ,mind I wouldn't mention bullet or rifle on the postal description :D but I have even had these sent from overseas as kits at one time ,still no problems :)

gawdelpus,

Yeah, I agree with you, on both counts, and I think that was important that mick61 did made a bit of a joke about it, as in reality and the way the security systems are set-up with the Australia Post and others, sending a parcel with the item description as "Bullet Pen" would be the same as being in a airplane, and mention "Bomb!":o Then I could say... God help us...!:D

I didn't think that be bullet pens where or actually could be made out of real rifle cartridges. Someone could have said something to me a few years back, I could have saved just about 100 every day, damn...!:((

I will be looking forward to your bullet pen, Touchwood, and being "blonde" ain't have anything to do with the price of "fish":doh::)

RBTCO

robutacion
5th March 2009, 03:07 AM
Hi peoples,

Where is everyone...? the pen makers, I mean!
I will be providing some pics very son of the pen blanks, as the timbers have all been shown on threads dedicate to each one. This is the first time that I'm also using clear wax to seal the ends of timbers, making them a little more presentable and at the same time, give an idea how they will look like after finished (general terms, only).

I didn't wanted to start cutting any of my timbers into pen blanks sizes, until I was sure that I had use for them. Some of the timbers are easy to re-cut into pen blanks but, others not so easy, considering that I have to reach where they are stored, behind or under, hundreds of other pieces, obviously...!:~

Out of the 24 timber species on the list so far, half of them are already cut, "numbered" and waxed. Some of the species I only finished a relatively small quantity (40 or less) but on some other species, I end-up using a large percentage of the log (some bowl blanks out) as the timber colouration and grain was exceptional for the pen blanks. One of the log species produced today about 300 blanks and one other at about 200 pieces all ready to go. Some are First grade, some second, some third and some, firewood...!:o

I have received already, a small number of prepaid bags, and if everything goes according to the plan, through the weekend I will be filling the bags as per request (pair, some) and on the Monday morning I will rocking up to the Post Office with a load full of bags, fingers cross...touchwood...!:D:wink:

So people, don't be shy, I have plenty more ready to go...!

PS: can someone make me a quick conversion into metric of the following imperial sizes?
- 5/8
- 3/4
- 7/8
Thanks

RBTCO

QC Inspector
5th March 2009, 05:05 AM
Hi peoples,

PS: can someone make me a quick conversion into metric of the following imperial sizes?
- 5/8
- 3/4
- 7/8
Thanks

RBTCO

Imperial multiplied by 25.4 = Metric.
Metric divided by 25.4 = Imperial

5/8 = 15.875
3/4 = 19.05
7/8 = 22.225
1 = 25.4

You can round them up and down as you see fit.:)

gawdelpus
5th March 2009, 10:47 AM
Bugger! hasn't my "modified brass pointy ended writing implement " reached you yet :D See no mention of anything lethal like a spent cartridge hehe. Cheers !

robutacion
5th March 2009, 01:53 PM
Imperial multiplied by 25.4 = Metric.
Metric divided by 25.4 = Imperial

5/8 = 15.875
3/4 = 19.05
7/8 = 22.225
1 = 25.4

You can round them up and down as you see fit.:)

Thanks QC Inspector,
I've got a calculator somewhere that can do all those conversions automatically, but I can't find it!:~

Yeah, that's what I though, those are the common 16 - 19 - 22 & 25 mm in the metric world, the think is, I just don't seem to memorize the common imperial sizes and then I get all confused with which one is what!
:doh:

gawdelpus,

I will check my PO Box tomorrow again (Friday), but so far, no "dangerous goods" have arrived yet!:o:D

RBTCO

robutacion
6th March 2009, 12:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Today a few more pen blanks done, surely the wax makes the timber look nice, well better than paint...!:o

I took a couple of pics this morning, before I started cutting some more. I had a few to wax from yesterday, so here it goes!
I will be checking for more bags tomorrow (Friday) and I will be posting them back, starting from Monday. I will need the weekend to get around all the species listed, as I'm making a reasonable amount of each species, to be a little more productive.

I'm finding the making a pen blanks to be quite interesting, exciting when waxing and most certainly one of the best ways to utilize all the smaller timber sizes but not only. Indeed, I had a few boxes of small pieces that I've kept and offered to the forum members a few times, that I found a little too small for bowls, plates, platters, vases, etc, etc, and I just couldn't come to terms of putting them in the firewood pile, well I'm not only using them, I'm also finding a much better yield for a significant percentage of the timber sizes I get, maybe an increase in machine time and labour but certainly, a much better use for rare and unique pieces of timber, (exceptions do apply)!:wink:

Anyway, will see what happens...!:D

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
6th March 2009, 08:11 AM
Look at all those blanks!!!

I can give you a list of things to do with small bits ;)

Fairy goblets
keyrings
yarn guage measurers (don't ask, look it up)
beads (as in threading beads for jewelry)

If you have long thing bits - or bits you can join to make long thin bits...

magic wands
hair sticks
nostepinne's (don't ask, look it up)
crotchet hooks (if you are willing to carve the ends)

robutacion
7th March 2009, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update.

7 prepaid bags received by yesterday (Friday), 6 of correct size, 1 a little small.
1 pen already received, from the Gold Coast (details and pics, in due time!:D). Bullet pen made of fruited Malley burl on a 308 rifle shell (absolutely beautiful!)
This pen was sent with the prepaid bag, firstly to save on postage, second I was given the option to select one of the already made pens (timber species that I don't have), from this forumate. Thanks, mate!

I've got about half of the listed timber species, ready to go, and that is about 500 blanks approx. but, I will reduce to half the number of blanks I was doing out of each species so that I have them all done by weekend's end. Monday, the 9/3, all bags received will be returned with the pen blanks requested (by some). The PO Box will be checked for other bags on Tuesday.

So far, I have 12 expressions of interest, including those already mentioned, and 1 from overseas. I was expecting a lot more interest but I understand that is a lot going on with most of the pen makers, and also the fact that some people aren't sure what sort of blanks they will get, for their effort!
I only can say, these are large pens blanks (11 x 1" x 1" x 5" 1/2 (can make 4 slimline pens out of each one, well most of them!) and there are 24 different timber species to chose from, and I'm selecting some of me most uncommon varieties for the first 11 blanks of this offer.

Anyway, I won't be running out of pen blanks in a hurry...!:doh::o:D

RBTCO

gawdelpus
7th March 2009, 09:43 AM
hehe! well if you do get tempted to make pens after all, you will never have to buy a blank to make them :) and you should make pens lol. cheap enough to get started and always a great gift or sale item ,as people see them as useful and practical :) cheers John

Touchwood
7th March 2009, 01:27 PM
I was expecting a lot more interest

Would you like some of the interested to double their interest? Would 2 sets fit into one 3kg bag, the cost of mailing two pens back wouldn't be a lot different to one?

JD

robutacion
7th March 2009, 02:10 PM
Would you like some of the interested to double their interest? Would 2 sets fit into one 3kg bag, the cost of mailing two pens back wouldn't be a lot different to one?

JD

Hi JD,

Yeah, good thinking 99...!:D
But, but, but then, I wouldn't have any room or weight left in the bag for "my other stuff!":o It was suppose to be a surprise, you know? bugger!:~:;
Didn't people read what I've said a few times about timbers? "Even in a bad day, I'm generous...!":q

Oh well, someone will miss out, bad luck...!:no::C:U

RBTCO

robutacion
8th March 2009, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just been informed by my wife that tomorrow Monday is a Public Holiday here!:o apparently is Adelaide Cup day. I had no idea, for many, many years, a week has seven days, and they are all the same to me, mainly if I don't need to buy anything or stay home all day, doing whatever...!:C

So, what this mean is that, I'm not going to have the Post Office open tomorrow, therefore having one more day to cut some more blanks. There are a few timber species that already have a number (from the species list) but I have a very distinct different pieces from the same tree species. This have to do with different soil conditions and some sort of "mutation" from pollination or other unknown reasons. There is also the fact that with some tree species, the size of the branches, logs or other, and from where that particular piece (timber block) was removed from, will determine how it looks, and with some species, they are "totally" different. So, with a little more time I will be able to brake down some of the tree species with some "variants", for example, if the species number is 15, them I will mark them as 15a - 15b, etc. Samples (pics) of all species and some of the possible "variants" will be provided, as soon as I can find the chance to do it.

PS: Some species will be added to the original list, either as "unconfirmed" species and/or some species that I forgot to mention originally. This is the case of the 2 species that I will confirm as part of the main list;

25 - Knotty (knotted) Pine
26- Platypus Gum (not yet dry)
27- White Wattle (not Silver)

RBTCO

robutacion
10th March 2009, 03:33 AM
Hi everyone,

Just another update, a late one (2:40 AM):o:doh: but still good!

I had a big day today, trying to go through 7 different timber species that I had prepared with the chain saw on the Sunday. The pics bellow were taken first thing this morning, and is how everything was left from the evening before. Reducing the number of blanks per species (to save time) din't work that well on Sunday morning so, I decided to make at least a plastic container full (sort off) of each one. I only manage to completely finish 5 of them, with the other 2 all sliced but not cut to length, numbered, and waxed. In the process I found another couple of species that I will add to the list soon. The list is now 27 set timber species, without the "variants" (explained on the previous post) not yet done.

I'm also considering to have all the timber species cut in cross-cut and diagonal pen blanks, and they will be recognized, (marked as) #X (example, 23X(cross) or 23Z(diagonal), if is a variant, then will be 23aX or Z or 23bX or Z, if that timber species have more then one variant available.

I will suggest for everyone to either make their own list based on the information I have been providing or wait a little longer and apart from updating/divulging the new specie number and name, as I go, I will make a final list with all the possibilities on it, such as, number, name, possible variant, cross-cut (X) and or diagonal cut (Z). All blanks are cut at 1" x 1" x 5" 1/2, with small variation on some as a result of natural edge end, bark, other! These are all mixed and shouldn't be more than 10% of the blanks total. I am also "light" sending each blank now, not the first half I've done, as some timber a a little "hairy" and the cut ends do keep rough burs, which it become a complete pain in the posterior, after I submerse the ends on the wax, making some of them look like the hair style of some "funky" people, and when need to be stacked on top of each other, on those shelves of mine, went from a simple job to a bloody nightmare!:((

Here we go, first pics from the beginning of my day set-up, then some pics of the shelves where I'm trying to keep/store the blanks for now (making and extension on one of the shed very soon), as last but not least, some of the bags and bundles of the off-cuts from the pen blanks, ONLY, for Eliza :doh:

I reckon, she's going to be a "busy bag" with them, what do you guys & girls thing? What do you call to a already "busy bug"?:wink:

Enjoy, seat tight, all bags from those that were already notified, that I got them, will be posted tomorrow.

The madam's 25 kg box will leave on Wednesday, I would say!

Be safe, take care

RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
10th March 2009, 07:24 AM
Well you certainly have a large wood collection there. What do you do with it all when you're not cutting up pen blanks??

Russell.

ElizaLeahy
10th March 2009, 08:03 AM
Well you certainly have a large wood collection there. What do you do with it all when you're not cutting up pen blanks??

Russell.

He turns bowls...

There is a saying that an artist does art to get out of housework (true, by the way)
And a writer does housework to get out of writing.

I'm beinging to think that robutacion cuts wood to get out of turning!!!!

Boy I wish I lived closer!

That is like a marathon of pen cutting, and they are all so NEAT.

Tell me, what is number 16? The two tone one. That's going to be interesting!

When I hit submit I'm going to go have a closer look, see if I can see what's in those bags!!! heehee!!!

Thanks! ;)

gawdelpus
10th March 2009, 08:06 AM
Certainly "packed to the rafters" hehe literally ,looks a massive project to me ,you certainly don't do things by halves .Hopefully when some of the finished pens start appearing some of the lethergy will disappear , and you get some more support for your project . Cheers ! John :)

robutacion
10th March 2009, 11:50 AM

Russell.

Hi Russel,

You obviously haven't seen nothing yet! (have a look on my web site)
Cutting pen blanks is only a very recent thing, I've been using some of the timbers I collect (about 40% or less) on, plates, platers, vases but mainly bowls up to 16" diameter if possible, any bigger and they have to be done on the outrigger on the lathe. I do the best I can to sell the other 60% of my woods, as I keep cutting more and more, like a vicious circle. I over-packed the sheds and any available room in the back yard, and now with a small paddock, a few acres big (near the house) available to me as open storage, timbers are keep getting in as a much faster rate that what they're out. I hope that I'm not asked to remove those timbers out of the paddock, any time soon, and that's the reason why I don't want to over stock. A very small percentage is transformed in firewood, which I use a lot and sell a couple of loads here and there (rare) to recover some fuel money and chainsaw expenses but, that is like patching a big hole, with a coffee spoon. The good thing about it, if I keep it all is that, if something happen and I'm unable to cut any more timbers, I've got enough to turn to last me 100 years! Oh, Oh... that's a problem...I can't take it with me to the other side, as I told no wood-lathes are allowed down there, and the last thing I want to take with me is wood (firewood) "they" reckon, out there, the fire runs hot enough already :o:doh:

RBTCO

robutacion
10th March 2009, 11:58 AM
He turns bowls...

There is a saying that an artist does art to get out of housework (true, by the way)
And a writer does housework to get out of writing.

I'm beinging to think that robutacion cuts wood to get out of turning!!!!

Boy I wish I lived closer!

That is like a marathon of pen cutting, and they are all so NEAT.

Tell me, what is number 16? The two tone one. That's going to be interesting!

When I hit submit I'm going to go have a closer look, see if I can see what's in those bags!!! heehee!!!

Thanks! ;)

Eliza, madam...! remember... "the list"!:D (post #1 of this thread + a full other ones added recently)

Is a very good chance that your line of thinking about my timber cuttings, has some truth in it!:q:wink:

RBTCO

robutacion
12th March 2009, 01:38 AM
Hi everyone,

OK, the bags are all re-posted, including one received today!:D

I know, I know, I was suppose to have post them yesterday, and I'm sorry that I didn't, the reason is a bit of a long story but lets just say, I hope that I will be forgiven, when you open the bag...!:B:U

The idea of stacking the pen blanks on that thin metal shelf, didn't work very well, not due the weight but an absolute "pain" to stack then up and then, take one or two without knocking the whole thing down...!:~
The blanks that I've cut and finish in these last 2 days, never went to the shelf, instead I put them in a heavy duty packing cardboard boxes, making it a lot easier to handle.

So, and after I finish with the prepaid bags, I remove all blanks from the metal shelf and put then in numerical sequential order into these boxes. After finished, I counted 8 boxes left, with the contents of one box already gone. According to my calculations, each box fits 20 pieces in one way and 12 in the other way so 20x12=240 pieces per box, so 8 boxes left + 1 gone = 9 boxes, 9x240= 2,160 pen blanks...!:o:doh: No wonder why it took me a full week's work :C
Oh, I've got also a couple of very upset neighbors, from noise related issues, and the fact that, according to them, "my tools interfere with their TV's, sure!
I have to admit, these bloody heavy duty circular saws, mounted under a bench (old GMC table saw) are noise as...! and the whistling get's to you after a while. Earmuffs, did helped me a bit, but not the neighbors...! Don't worry, noting that a couple of nice pens wouldn't fix :oo::;

They are 27 timber species identified so far, 25 of them cut (some more than others) but the other 2 species plus any other that I will find, will have to wait, I had enough of cutting and the saws need service and re-sharpening.

As from today, Thursday the 12 March 2009, 4 names are left in my expressions of interest list, one from overseas, one will pick -up, and the other 2 haven't send the bag yet. These 4 people will get exactly the same as the ones already sent, after that, only the original offer stands, until further notice!

Just one thing I didn't do, (I just though about it, damn!), I didn't mark any blank as the one that would want you to make the pen from (for those that are using my timbers), sorry. There is 2 ways to go about it, one you try to use something of yours, that is not in the bag, or you pick whatever the one you want to use for me, I am OK with it, no problems. If you thing that I've sent plenty, and you decided to make me 2 pens, I'm not going to say no!:q

Now, the pics...!, well I can't really show all the ones I took today, it would spoil the surprise but, I still can give you an idea what did happen today:D.

RBTCO

gawdelpus
12th March 2009, 05:46 AM
Damn! that looks a lot of work and a labour of love, I am sure there are some real "treasures" waiting to be unlocked in that assortment , you could always PM the recipients with your first choice of wood for your return pen , no one would begrudge you that hehe. Although I probably have a few too many blanks already, most likely any one been making pens for a while already has ,I may send you another one and have some nice wood for "swaps" hehe , I have some pretty ordinary stuff as it stands! :)
cheers John!

Ozkaban
12th March 2009, 08:45 AM
Wow! cutting 2160 blanks on a brush motor table saw... No wonder the neighbours were miffed!

Looking forward to the parcel. Then I just gotta make a pen :D

Cheers,
Dave

robutacion
12th March 2009, 04:41 PM
Damn! that looks a lot of work and a labour of love, I am sure there are some real "treasures" waiting to be unlocked in that assortment , you could always PM the recipients with your first choice of wood for your return pen , no one would begrudge you that hehe. Although I probably have a few too many blanks already, most likely any one been making pens for a while already has ,I may send you another one and have some nice wood for "swaps" hehe , I have some pretty ordinary stuff as it stands! :)
cheers John!

Hi John,

Your comment is absolutely right. I lost count, on the number of blanks that I went trough (in all species), that caught my eye/attention. Absolutely none was ever put a side as "my stash", they all went as if they were all being cut for myself, maybe my lost but again, my problem...!:)

Now with this said, and anyone that ever had anything to do with timbers know that, some "treasures" are hidden, some show themselves a little bit, and other times you cut right trough the middle of it, exposing the treasure like some people when they are sun-roasting on the beach:o. Is this a good example?, oh well, it will do!:q
Talking about those treasures, some times a piece is selected for its visual "potential" and end-up being a complete fiasco, other times something comes up from the most unexpected places. What I'm trying to say is, any piece that I see that is going to fail, is taken out immediately, others are left as they can go either way (most rare, uncommon and unique, or to the firewood pile/bin). Each one sees a natural characteristic, as either a feature or an imperfection, some people will go to all extremes to keep (glues, etc) what nature created, others see it as rubbish. For a commercial purpose, timbers are normally cut and re-cut until all "imperfections" are removed, and at the paddock anything that looks not clean/flat/straight grain, is left behind to rot, I on the other hand select my timbers in that same "reverse" order. I will some times waste large amounts of timber just to get the "busy, curled, twisted, knotted, and whatever will make the piece to look anything but just plain. This is indeed the reason why so many timber species in Australia and in many other countries around the world are never used for commercial purposes. I'm glad if they keep that way, otherwise would be nothing left.

So that you know, any blanks that you believe unworkable, or you can show me (pic) that, it disintegrated or similar, while turning, It will be replace (as soon as convenient) for both parties!

It goes without saying that, I'm experiencing a great deal of excitement just to see how some of my timbers will turn up on a pen. I don't recall to ever seen (but, I'm sure, it was done many times before) pens made out of some of my preferred timbers such as the pines and its relatives.

These pen blanks will be added to my web site (when I have the chance) so we will see what happens...!:D

RBTCO

robutacion
14th March 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm just updating the timber species list here and make it available as a separate Word file so that people can just download and print. I would suggest that you keep a copy of this list near to where you will store the blanks, this will me making identification a lot easier as faster.

Looking forwards for the reactions when parcel (bag) arrive!:D

The timber species I have at the moment are:

1- Golden Cypress (Macrocarpa) trunk timber
2- Golden Cypress ( " ) root timber
3- Pink/Rose Gum
4- Blue River Gum
5- Yellow Gum
6- Red Gum
7- Spotted Gum
8- Curly/Twisted Gum
9- Ancient very dark brown Gum
10- Poplar
11- Liquid Amber
12- Willow
13- Radiata Pine
14- She-oak/Bull-oak
15- Bay tree (Bay leaf relative)
16- Black Wattle
17- Silver Wattle
18- Golden Wattle
19- Almond tree
20- Wild olive (darker yellow and less heartwood)
21- Maggestic Olive (good mixed colours)
22- Old Olive Root (burl look a like)
23- Melaleuca
24- Cork tree
25- Knotty (knotted) Pine
26- Platypus Gum (not yet dry)
27- White Wattle (not Silver)

at least another 5 species not yet identified!

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
16th March 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm in lust wtih 21, 22 and 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure the others will have surprises inside, but those blanks are just amazing!!!

Which to cut first? What a delema!

gawdelpus
16th March 2009, 03:37 PM
Got my parcel today ! :2tsup:,should of sent you new glasses not a pen lol, you either can't count or are seeing double , either way you ain't getting any back hehe,cheers mate ,and enjoy :D

ElizaLeahy
16th March 2009, 03:57 PM
He's generous - or should that be penerous?

;)

Fireman sam
16th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi
mine arrived today just wondering if he lost count if so thanks they all look great :2tsup::2tsup::D:U
Thanks Andrew

ElizaLeahy
16th March 2009, 05:10 PM
I cut some! Not a pen, but I couldn't resist - too pretty.

Majestic Olive Pendent

mick61
16th March 2009, 06:16 PM
G`day got mine Friday thanyou very much should shuold have pen in mail by Friday.
Mick

P.S. I think you bay tree might be Alocasuarina Vertisilata or Literalis.

Shakie
16th March 2009, 08:35 PM
G,day again Robutacion,

Received the blanks you sent. Very happy thank you. Nice collection. I hope you were happy with the Mango pen.

You placed a small quarter slab in with the blanks. What timber is that??

Once again, thanks. Pleasure doing business. :2tsup:

Shakie

gawdelpus
16th March 2009, 10:06 PM
I cut some! Not a pen, but I couldn't resist - too pretty.

Majestic Olive Pendent
Eiza just out of curiosity ,as those look like pendants, do you cut them in half so that they would tend to lie flat ,plus get 2 for one lol.

robutacion
17th March 2009, 02:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm happy that the bags are getting to their destiny, and that everyone seems pleasentaly surprised with the contents. OK, I offered, as everyone know, 10+1 pen blanks in exchange for a finished pen. I knew that the blanks alone wouldn't fit in a 500gr bag, and I had a few extra bits that I was going to offer to each one. For that I needed the 3kg bag, as the 11 blanks alone weighed about 900gr. As I was cutting more species, I became more divided in which ones I was going to send, there is, the 10 x different species + 1 repeated for the making of my pen as per the original offer. I made a decision to try my best to cut all the species that I could find and select one of each and put then in the bag. I can count and I wasn't seeing double, I end-up with 25 species cut out of the 27 I am sure I have but, after a full week cutting like a mad person, I and the machines needed a brake and service(sharpening + other minor repairs). I did felt that I had the opportunity to demonstrate to those that did make notice of my offer, and have the modesty to accept it, to demonstrate my special thank you on my on way. So 25 pen blanks from 25 different species, means people as the chance to see, touch/work and feel the selection I have manage to call mine.
Now, each bag has and I just couldn't leave any paid weigh unclaimed, I added a small half log of dry #14 timber. This particular pieces lost their bark naturally with age, making then very good candidates for the making of a natural edge small bowl (pieces are approx 6" to 7'' square X 4" deep). This timber is dry and ready to be worked in anything you wish, pen blanks, etc. but my idea was to provide a similar sample to everyone and ask for those to be made into a natural edge bowl. Because the edge is not the outer bark but the inner bark or skin, this allows for the "rim" to be left a little wider then normal as is no bark there to risk separation. This is only my suggestion for the use of that bonus piece, but you are free to do whatever you want to do with it, no questions asked. but a big thank you will given to those that are prepared to have a go at a natural edge bowl.

Have fun with it, and make your own selection on the one you want to use for me, as I mention on the previous post, I've got some of the best pieces of pine species and its relatives that you will never find available in any other stores. I have 6 distinct varieties of Radiata pine and 5 of them from a single plantation (extensively discussed in the forum). After rigorous selection, I made it in various groups, (knotty, birdeyes, blue slice, single or double resin veins, white, canary yellow and orange, chocalate plates, and others, then is the "ancient" 150plus years, capable of producing knots the size of a large platter, indeed, I got some made where the knot is basically the hole platter. This are interesting as they become nearly transparent into the light.
Sorry, I'm getting a bit off track here but, honestly I don't mind if they are all made of the pine and cypress species, #2, #13, #25 so far...! really I don't mind, as they would surprise a lot of people, that I'm sure of it! Remember soft timbers require a softer touch and sharper tools.

Good luck everyone, and thanks for being a sport!:D

RBTCO

Ozkaban
17th March 2009, 09:02 AM
My wife called this morning to say that the parcel had arrived. She knows how big a pen blank is and said "there's a lot more than 11 blanks in there"...

Can't wait to unwrap the little pressie when I get home!

Cheers,
Dave

bowl-basher
17th March 2009, 02:34 PM
parcel arived safe and sound... your pen will leave sydney on friday decided to send you a pen in a timber you don't have (conkerberry)
regards
Bowl -basher

Touchwood
17th March 2009, 03:31 PM
Mine bag of treasures arrived today - just got back from a lovely horse ride in a tuart forest nearby (30m + trees in height and big, spreading canopy and little under storey - nice!!) only to find a HUGE bag of treasures. So, time to sit with a coffee, the species Key and have a "look see". Thanks for the great selection, most generous.

JD

Touchwood
17th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Oh, I should also say I particularly liked the LADY cutting wood picture on the wrapper ... cute!!

JD:thanx2:

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 04:44 PM
I got a heap of normal envelopes, I've written the numbers and names on them. As I'm cutting them, drilling them, gluing them, I'm putting them back in their own envelope.

It's the only way I'm going to keep it straight!

Having fun :)

Tonight I glue

Tomorrow I cut.

Ozkaban
17th March 2009, 07:44 PM
Hiya RBTCO,

I have gone through my parcel - some lovely timbers in there :2tsup:

There was no note saying which timber you'd like for your pen. Do you have a preference, or are you happy with a lucky dip?

cheers,
dave

Ozkaban
17th March 2009, 07:58 PM
My bad... didn't read your post :doh:

Lucky Dip is is then!!!

Cheers,
Dave

robutacion
18th March 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for being pleasantelly surprised with my "package":doh::D

I hope that some of you don't think I'm "cheap" anymore...!:; just kidding.

I didn't put any pics of the package before hand, as that would spoil the surprise, and I did expect that maybe someone would take a pic of their parcel and show it to everyone but, no one did so, I can now show a couple of pics that I took when I was preparing the bags.

Some other parcels were prepared for overseas forumates, with a few extra things done to them to void any customs problems. The waxing of the banks in full did certainly add to the weigh considerably, with a complete set of one of each of the 25 different timber species, weighing a total of 2.2kg (full packed parcel). Air-freight is always very expensive for these type of weights, so the option was made to send all the overseas parcels by sea-freight (about 4 to 6 weeks delivery). The costs then become quite reasonable with a 2.2kg box with 25 pen blanks (1" x 1" x 5"1/2 fully waxed), costing about AU$37 to Canada. One box had 2 of each species = 50 pen blanks, weighing about 4.150kg send to the UK, for the cost of AU$53.45
Air-freight it works out about 3 times the cost of sea-freight, and that becomes a much less welcome preposition! Maybe a longer wait but it's worth it, I reckon!

It will be interesting to see what some of these blanks will be transformed into!:D

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
18th March 2009, 02:03 PM
I can show you a photo of the pen I made today from the Poplar you sent. I am NOT making any more pens until I either get a thing for pushing them together or one of those ewin clamps, whichever is cheaper! Getting these things together without damaging any part of them is a pain.

However, having said that, when I stuff up it means I get to keep it, so it's all good! :2tsup:

Zoe says that the swell at the writting end helps her to hold them.

gawdelpus
18th March 2009, 02:31 PM
Eliza ! a bench drill if you have one is one of the best ways to press things together ,simply put a bit of hardwood dowel in your chuck to push with,and not damage the metal work. All good though hehe,cheers :)

ElizaLeahy
18th March 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't think a bench drill would be cheaper then an ewin... much as I'd love one! :)

Touchwood
18th March 2009, 03:26 PM
Between you and me ElizaLeahy, I use a wooden mallet! I bought a el cheapo drill press (for electric drill sort of thing) and had more disasters than I have had ever with the mallet (touch wood - pun intended :D:D). I have a floor drill press and never used it for pen construction, nor do I use either lathe (as others have mentioned). Many kit styles don't need the pressure that the slim line uses. I also always apply a small amount of good quality sewing machine oil to the mechanism to assist it going into the tube. Not probably the right thing, but it's how I started and how I have continued. :B:B JD

eisbaer
18th March 2009, 04:03 PM
hi eliza, i use my lathe for pushing pens together. A piece of timber held in jaws on the headstock, and a piece on the tailstock. Use the quill travel on the tailstock to push in. Only ones i've had problems with are when i've not cleared glue from the tubes properly... Best way to learn what not to do is to do it i guess :)

munruben
18th March 2009, 11:46 PM
Hi Eliza, I take it you mean the Erwin clamp to press your pen together. They need quite a bit of pressure to make them work. and sometimes wont do the job. A small vice does the job nicely although the jaws have to open enough to allow you to place the pen between the jaws to press it all together. If you dont wan to go to the expense of buying something too expensive then use your lathe as mentioned above. easy and cheap as chips. :)

P.S. Your pen looks good.

Rum Pig
19th March 2009, 08:33 AM
I now use a Erwin Quick Grip clamp :) and so far so good (about 60 pens) I used to use a mallet but I had a bad run an stuffed about 5 out of 10:~ so I got the s#*ts and bought the clamp:U.
As Munruben said it does take a bit of effort to push the pen together. If you need to improve your hand strength then go for it:;. If your not sure see if someone has one you can try first.

Best of luck:2tsup:

I thought this thread was about giving away pen blanks:?:U:D

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 09:22 AM
:jacked:

bowl-basher
19th March 2009, 11:48 AM
I can show you a photo of the pen I made today from the Poplar you sent. I am NOT making any more pens until I either get a thing for pushing them together or one of those ewin clamps, whichever is cheaper! Getting these things together without damaging any part of them is a pain.

However, having said that, when I stuff up it means I get to keep it, so it's all good! :2tsup:

Zoe says that the swell at the writting end helps her to hold them.

Eliza check out this link .... I made one of these and is so simple and works a treat
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/pen_assembly_press.html
Regards
Bowl Basher

robutacion
19th March 2009, 02:53 PM
G,day again Robutacion,

Received the blanks you sent. Very happy thank you. Nice collection. I hope you were happy with the Mango pen.

You placed a small quarter slab in with the blanks. What timber is that??

Once again, thanks. Pleasure doing business. :2tsup:

Shakie

Hi Shakie,

I only today (Thursday the 19/3/09) checked this PO Box for the week and there it was, your magnificent mango pen...!. Nice piece of mango you used, the whole pen is very well made, thank you!:D

I reckon, I'm going to end-up with the fingers burn, out of my own fire, as my wife certainly developed a taste for wood made pens...!:o as soon as they come in, the grabs them and say, "I like this one too!":doh::D

Those making the pens for me, are welcome to post any pics they have from the pen they made and sent to me, until I get this offer closed and then I will do a little article on all the material received.

RBTCO

t_hogaboom@sbcg
23rd March 2009, 05:04 AM
If the 11 blanks offer is still avalible I would like to get in on this.

Thanks

Troy

robutacion
23rd March 2009, 11:26 PM
If the 11 blanks offer is still avalible I would like to get in on this.

Thanks

Troy

Hi Troy,
PM sent yesterday!

For everyone else, and if any of you sent any pens just before the weekend, I only will be able to check that PO Box, this Wednesday, so hopefully, I will have some surprises!:D

Hope that everyone is having fun turning some of the blanks I've sent. Some feedback on what you think are the most appealing timbers species to you, and any info on any of those you have already used, would be most appreciated.:;

RBTCO

Ozkaban
24th March 2009, 09:40 AM
Hi RBTCO,

I haven't had a chance to have a crack at the timbers yet - I've changed jobs from being a govt worker to private consulting... Working many more hours in the day!!! Hopefully I'll have a chance this weekend to unwind on the lathe for a while.

Cheers,
Dave

Touchwood
24th March 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi
I posted a package back to you today - hope they fed the pigeons lots and it doesn't take too long to get across the desert!

JD

munruben
25th March 2009, 05:01 PM
Out of curiosity robutacion , how successful would you rate your offer and response to it. I have been watching closely and thought you would have had more takers than you appear to have. Especially when I see how generous you have been with your packages. How many pens do you think you will end up with out of this?
I feel you will be well short of your hopeful anticipated total, which is a shame seeing as you have gone to so much trouble and effort.

Ozkaban
25th March 2009, 06:57 PM
For myself, I initially thought 11 blanks was a reasonable trade for a pen with a bunch of postage - more for fun than anything else. Of course robutacio's very generous bag will have a pretty big impact on the choice of pen kits and the number of them...

I'd be surprised if there were too many people who pulled out. I have had a serious lack of time on the lathe so from me it will be better late than never!

Cheers,
Dave

robutacion
26th March 2009, 02:24 AM
Out of curiosity robutacion , how successful would you rate your offer and response to it. I have been watching closely and thought you would have had more takers than you appear to have. Especially when I see how generous you have been with your packages. How many pens do you think you will end up with out of this?
I feel you will be well short of your hopeful anticipated total, which is a shame seeing as you have gone to so much trouble and effort.

Hi munruben,

Your perceptions are quite right, only a small number of people have actually showed and expression of interest, and even a less number of these have sent a prepaid bag. Disapointment? yes, in the first few days, but after I read what was going on in the pen making forum, I realized that my timing wasn't right!
In any case, and with due respect to those that did/are participating, I may have not achieve quantity but, my goodness, I'm in the quality!

I can't be sure of how many pens I'm going to end-up with, as some forumates did offer to do me 2 pens for the 25 blanks I sent, I've got 2 packages send overseas so far, and I'm still receiving bags from the initial lot. This, in numbers, represents a total of 14 expressions of interest, 9 bags/packages sent (including those overseas), 3 pens received, including 1 from today's mail. I understand that I should have at least a couple more by the weekend (that I know of), and maybe a couple more bags!

Is no ones fault, nor I'm "upset"/disappointed about it any more, I may have had higher expectations on the number of people interested, reason why I spent 7 full days doing nothing else but make pen blanks (2,200 of them) but in reality, this has open another door for me, or should I say plan B...!
Close the offer down soon, put the blanks on eBay, buy my own pen making gear with the sales money and make my own pens, I'm not short of blanks am I...?:;
Is anyone out there, sick of making pens and wants to sell all their pen making gear? (only if in good condition)

In fact, I was trying not to get involved with pen making for some time, as I've got other thinks to take care of but really, if I can spend all that time making blanks, organizing and running the "show", surely I can find some time to do my own pens then, huh?

I'm quite surprised how much I've learn about pen making in these last 3 weeks or so, was like and "express compact jumbo course" on pen making and pen issues, with one very "hot potato" being targeted for "discussion" very soon. As I was saying, the amount of search, reading, video viewing, and web sites visited on this issue, as nearly consumed all my waking hours since. Oh, and am I excited about making some "rifle cartridge bullet pens" for myself, I like those the most (for personal/obvious reasons!). I'm not ashamed to admit that at 51 year of age, with a "few" things done in life, the first time I became aware that pens could be made of rifle empty cartridges and real projectiles, was after I started this thread, and the very first one I ever seen and/or touched, was the very first pen received and made by our forumate, gawdelpus.

As mentioned previously, I will show all the pens I received together with the makers names and info on the pen, as soon as I close the offer and give time for our far away forumates to send the pens to me.

One on the possible negatives of me getting involved with pen making, is that fact that is going to be a very slow way to decrease my timbers volume/quantity (so I have to sell more of it),and the firewood pile will dramatically reduce in size (that is no good):no:. So far, my smaller bits were for egg making, 2"x2"x1' round or square (makes 4 eggs), that is obviously been changed recently, huh? right....!

Anyway peoples, is all fine:D I know that I'm going to get some more beauties soon, they will end-up being my samples of how pens should me made and look like, and that is raising the bar quite bloody hight, as far as I'm concern:C

PS: Again, Wednesday mail (yesterday), did only produce 1 pen and no bags.

RBTCO

garypeck
26th March 2009, 02:52 AM
Hi RBTCO...... i was wondering if you have any blackwood burl..... or any similar blanks??

I'd like to take you on this offer...... but the problem is....i cant send a pre-paid bag...... would it be possible for me to send you cash via paypal instead??

Regards,
Gary

robutacion
26th March 2009, 03:18 AM
Hi RBTCO...... i was wondering if you have any blackwood burl..... or any similar blanks??

I'd like to take you on this offer...... but the problem is....i cant send a pre-paid bag...... would it be possible for me to send you cash via paypal instead??

Regards,
Gary

Hi Gary,
PM sent!

Note: A advised on a previous post #58 near the bottom "As from today, Thursday the 12 March 2009, 4 names are left in my expressions of interest list, one from overseas, one will pick -up, and the other 2 haven't send the bag yet. These 4 people will get exactly the same as the ones already sent, after that, only the original offer stands, until further notice!"

With this said, and because the 3kg bag will take the 25 blanks easy, if you request the full collection (25 different timber species), I will expect 2 x pens made in exchange, sounds fair...?

OFFER CLOSES SOON...!

RBTCO

garypeck
26th March 2009, 03:23 AM
Hi RBTCO.....

sending you 2 pens is not an issue...... the problem i am facing is that i am not in Australia, so will not be able to send you a pre-paid bag..... How do we go round this?? Do i send you money?? Also, how much would that cost??

Regards,
Gary

Hi Gary,
PM sent!

Note: A advised on a previous post #58 near the bottom "As from today, Thursday the 12 March 2009, 4 names are left in my expressions of interest list, one from overseas, one will pick -up, and the other 2 haven't send the bag yet. These 4 people will get exactly the same as the ones already sent, after that, only the original offer stands, until further notice!"

With this said, and because the 3kg bag will take the 25 blanks easy, if you request the full collection (25 different timber species), I will expect 2 x pens made in exchange, sounds fair...?

OFFER CLOSES SOON...!

RBTCO

garypeck
26th March 2009, 03:25 AM
Would you have any timber that is BLACK in colour??

Regards,
Gary