PDA

View Full Version : Tools in the Shed

GoGuppy
26th February 2009, 01:59 PM
Having seen the pics of all the sheds in the “Show us ya Shed” thread, I am surprised that so many people have their tools mounted on the wall behind the lathe…. I am in the process of re-doing my (micro) shed and have finished paneling the walls with a nice recycled hard wood and am setting out where to put what (in the way of tools). I have just bought a Leady lathe and thought that placing the turning tools behind the lathe would be a definite No-No, from a safety perspective. Not that I wear a tie or anything, but just the act of reaching over a work piece spinning at speeds of up to 2000 rpm kind of scares me… :o The thought of dropping something and a sharp tool flying away uncontrolled is something I would not like to experience…:no:<O:p</O:p
I like the arrangements from Grumpy John, where the tools are stored below the lathe, as well as having the tools behind you against the wall, as seen on a number of the small shed photos.<O:p</O:p
Am I being overly concerned or what…<O:p</O:p

orraloon
26th February 2009, 02:17 PM
I have the lathe tools in an old 2 drawer filing cabinet on wheels. I made a rack for the tools to sit on top and the chucks and things in the drawers. Just wheel it into place beside the working position. The base of an office chair would also do for a mobile tool rack. I also have a tool rack behind the lathe on the bench and sometimes use it. I have never had a problem with getting caught in the work. Most times I change tools I also stop the lathe to have a look at the job in any case.
Regards
John

Woodwould
26th February 2009, 02:17 PM
I had the same fears when I saw a few people's set-ups.

I was going to build a full cabinet for my lathe with a wire mesh tool tray (but my stock of MDF ran out), so I'm going to raise the stock (MC1100) stand and fit a wire mesh tool shelf between its legs, just below the bed.

The wire shelf will allow all the crud to fall through and even though the bed will largely obscure the chisels, individual custom handles will make them recognisable for easy selection.

skot
26th February 2009, 02:25 PM
I agree...don't like the idea of leaning over the lathe to get tools. I prefer a mobile stand to wheel around near the lathe and than roll away into a corner.

Grumpy John
26th February 2009, 02:49 PM
I like the arrangements from Grumpy John, where the tools are stored below the lathe, as well as having the tools behind you against the wall, as seen on a number of the small shed photos.<O:p</O:p
Am I being overly concerned or what…<O:p</O:p

Thank you very much. However the tools are stored in a mobile 7 drawer tool box, the drawers under the lathe mainly contain sandpaper, my Raffan books, manuals, warranty cards and assorted bits and pieces.

GoGuppy
26th February 2009, 03:03 PM
Thank you very much. However the tools are stored in a mobile 7 drawer tool box, the drawers under the lathe mainly contain sandpaper, my Raffan books, manuals, warranty cards and assorted bits and pieces.
OK, I can now see that they are two different storage areas, even better!! :2tsup: The same principle still applies though.

TTIT
26th February 2009, 05:08 PM
..........................Am I being overly concerned or what…<O:p</O:pYes :shrug: I used to think the same thing but once I tried it I realised there's buckleys chance of anything going wrong - but then you'll find most of them are mounted slightly towards the tailstock end so you're not reaching directly over the work (unless you spend all your time on long spindle work)
I have my rack (http://web.aanet.com.au/ttit/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Chisel)so it swings around so I'm never really reaching directly over the spinny-bits. :shrug:

RETIRED
26th February 2009, 05:11 PM
(unless you spend all your time on long spindle work)Who would be so silly?:rolleyes:

GoGuppy
26th February 2009, 05:35 PM
Yes :shrug: I have my rack (http://web.aanet.com.au/ttit/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Chisel)so it swings around so I'm never really reaching directly over the spinny-bits. :shrug:

Great tool rack, TTIT. Thanks for sharing your website with us. Heaps of good stuff there.:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2009, 05:58 PM
One of the things I've found is that for any particular job there are only a few tools I really use. Which tools depends on the job, of course.

Why have all my tools in a nearby rack which'll end up covered in sawdust and need constant cleaning?

I built myself a small tray which hooks into the ways of the lathe and can be slid along or removed quite simply. It'll hold up to 8 tools, (I think) but I usually only preload it with 3 or 4 before starting the job.

It's also a handy place for those bits of s/paper while finishing, but best of all is that there's no hunting through my racks looking for "that tool I was just using a moment ago."

'Tis a bit of a shavings collector, but the next model (if/when this one finally falls apart) will have the tray made from a wire refrigerator shelf so the small stuff can just fall through.

derekcohen
26th February 2009, 06:25 PM
Nice toolrack, TITT. If I had the room that is what I would go for. I have been rebuilding my workshop since about November last year. Having had the opportunity to start with a clean slate, I am trying to move as much onto walls as possible, leaving floor space for machines and benches.

I only have a Jet mini, and it does not take up much room. I built the stand from a roofing beam. The toolholders are behind the lathe, but the child holder is off to one side so that I would never be in danger of leaning across. The only tool holder directly behind is the one for markers.

Is this ever clean?!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Workbench%20and%20Workshop/Cabinet5-1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

jefferson
26th February 2009, 07:11 PM
A very interesting thread. And of real interest to me because I am about to move the VL 300 and place it directly under the dust filter. But where to put the tools?

I do have a vacant wall for my 30 odd chisels (I try to turn spindles as well as bowls, not that successfully and has a label for the like of me and Ern). But moving back 2+m away from the lathe every time I need a tool doesn't attract me at all. I think Skew's idea of a dust/chip free permanent home - with a mobile rack for a handful of chisels is the way to go.

And to be honest, I don't think chisels behind a lathe is a bad idea. There's no hurry here - or shouldn't be unless you're earning a living from turning - so turning the lathe off, inspecting your work, then reaching for the next chisel shouldn't be a drama. Particularly if you're only turning bowls where the danger zone is pretty limited.

My two bob's worth from a master of not one turning chisel. Well, maybe I can rough out OK. And not too bad on my Ci1 tool either.

Jeff

GoGuppy
26th February 2009, 08:20 PM
OK then, if I understand what has been said so far, it appears there are two schools of thought depending on the type of turning you do most.
Namely, bowl turners seem to say not a problem as the work area on the lathe is confined to the headstock area, whereas spindle turners tend to agree that reaching over the spindle area is not a good idea. It may only take one brief lapse of concentration for a potential mishap to occur...:o
Most people, including myself, seem to think that a mobile or hang-on type tool tray, with the appropriate tools for the job at hand, is the way to go.
Makes sense to me :wink:.

BobL
26th February 2009, 08:52 PM
I think there is a difference if tools are on the bench behind the lathe compared to on a stand behind and above the lathe. Sure the reach is still across the lathe but it's not up and over. Anyway I'm a keen stopperer of a lathe so I can see what I'm doing.

It would be interesting to see woodworkers perception of risk in operating various machines and tools I might go and start a thread up in the safety forum.

Rum Pig
27th February 2009, 09:02 AM
I recently moved my lathe out of my shed and into an entertaining area so my lathe now has no walls any ware near it. As I'm still trying to find the right spot to put it and the best bench I have opted for the most expensive mobile tool rack going It is round in shape about 280mm diameter and about 400mm deep has a padded bottom of about 75mm and has a wire attachment for easy relocation:U

If you have not guessed it is a 20ltr bucket:q with rags int the bottom to protect the the tools edge. I do not have that many tools (yet) I just move the bucket to wear ever I like. I do have plains to something a bit better but the bucket is working for now:U

Manuka Jock
27th February 2009, 09:41 AM
I recently moved my lathe out of my shed and into an entertaining area so my lathe now has no walls any ware near it. As I'm still trying to find the right spot to put it and the best bench I have opted for the most expensive mobile tool rack going It is round in shape about 280mm diameter and about 400mm deep has a padded bottom of about 75mm and has a wire attachment for easy relocation:U

If you have not guessed it is a 20ltr bucket:q with rags int the bottom to protect the the tools edge. I do not have that many tools (yet) I just move the bucket to wear ever I like. I do have plains to something a bit better but the bucket is working for now:U
To improve the worth of your tool holder , fill it with short lengths of PVC plumbing pipe , one for each tool .
For a real classy bucket , jamb a plug of polystyrene in the base of each pipe , in place of the rags :U

Ozkaban
27th February 2009, 09:54 AM
My chisels live under about 3" of shavings on the shelf under my MC1100. I've really gotta do something better.

Love TTIT's stand, but then again I'd happily start at the top of his web page and make all of the nifty jigs and gadgets he's come up with - especially the sharpening jig.

Cheers,
Dave

NeilS
28th February 2009, 03:07 PM
Use a mobile turning tool cupboard. The tool rack rotates on top. Chucks, etc., in drawers. Handle is for moving tool rack when separated from cupboard. Still not finised. Long handled tools to attach to sides of the cupboard and some shorter tools to go on other side of rack.

Also still using old temporary tool rack that sits on table behind lathe with tools that don't get used very much. As I don't do much spindle turning, safety is not such an issue with them there.

Neil