PDA

View Full Version : bowl and keyrings

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 12:11 PM
I needed to make the bowl this morning so I could put the keyrings in it. See, I HAD to, I had a good reason!!! :)

When a friend from Canada saw it she offered me $45 AU for it. Should I have taken it? I wasn't sure it would get through customs because it has a teeny bit of bark on it. I know getting INTO Australia with bark on is a no-no. I wasn't sure about Canada.

wheelinround
2nd March 2009, 12:22 PM
well done Eliza

OGYT
2nd March 2009, 12:55 PM
Lovely bowl full of lovely keyrings. You are really getting good!:2tsup:
Now. What's the timber of the bowl? :?
Thanks. :wink:

Ed Reiss
2nd March 2009, 01:08 PM
I needed to make the bowl this morning so I could put the keyrings in it. See, I HAD to, I had a good reason!!! :)

When a friend from Canada saw it she offered me $45 AU for it. Should I have taken it? I wasn't sure it would get through customs because it has a teeny bit of bark on it. I know getting INTO Australia with bark on is a no-no. I wasn't sure about Canada.

...hold out for $45.95 AU:q

artme
2nd March 2009, 01:48 PM
Rooly, rooly noice. All of 'em.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Agree with my comedian mate on the price.:D

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 02:53 PM
Lovely bowl full of lovely keyrings. You are really getting good!:2tsup:
Now. What's the timber of the bowl? :?
Thanks. :wink:

Camphor Laurel :)

Gil Jones
2nd March 2009, 03:17 PM
Well done on the bowl, and key rings too.
Your work is becoming quite nice.:2tsup:

Rum Pig
2nd March 2009, 04:33 PM
Nice bowl :2tsup: and key rings:2tsup:
$45 sounds good IF YOU ARE HAPPY as for customs well you would think he/she should know what they can take back

If they refuse to let it in you could buy it back for half price:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 04:40 PM
It's good to see someone experimenting with forms for keyrings besides boring old cigar-shaped spindles. :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 05:09 PM
Nice bowl :2tsup: and key rings:2tsup:
$45 sounds good IF YOU ARE HAPPY as for customs well you would think he/she should know what they can take back

If they refuse to let it in you could buy it back for half price:U

No, you can't, because customs either offers to irradiate it (for a lot of money) or they burn it! No return post.

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 05:10 PM
It's good to see someone experimenting with forms for keyrings besides boring old cigar-shaped spindles. :2tsup:

It's hard coming up with different shapes when it's only two inches long to start with.

I want to make a round box - but I'm scared...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 05:20 PM
It's hard coming up with different shapes when it's only two inches long to start with.

Yes. It's also hard to make them look pleasing to the eye. You have the knack for finding the right shapes. :2tsup:

I want to make a round box - but I'm scared...

I don't suppose you know anyone with a bandsaw you could borrow?

If you turn a blank round with a spigot on both ends, then they could slice off one of the ends to make the lid.

Otherwise you'll need to practice deep parting cuts on the lathe, which can be a bit of a daunting prospect.

So long as you remember to make the parting cut two tool-widths wide, rather than just plunging the tool straight in for a "single-width" cut then you should be right. (The extra width gives clearance to the sides of the tool, preventing it binding in the wood and ripping out of your hands.)

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 05:40 PM
Skew, why don't you live closer???

The thing I don't like about cutting with a parting tool is the smell of burning, the smoke, and the blackened wood.

I think I'm doing something wrong...

I have some BEAUTIFUL camphor laurel that I got for my birthday, which would be perfect. I want to keep the pattern in the grain, so parting with my 1/4 inch would lose me - 1/2 inch of that. It wouldn't match up.

Thanks for the hint about the bandsaw. No, I don't know anyone who would let me borrow one. But if I turn each end ready to go into the chuck, I might know someone who will do it for me...

Chris? :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 07:47 PM
Skew, why don't you live closer???

It'd make life easier, wouldn't it?

The thing I don't like about cutting with a parting tool is the smell of burning, the smoke, and the blackened wood.

I think I'm doing something wrong...

Possibly going too deep with each cut. I only cut a few mm, then move over a bit and cut a few mm deeper, then back to the first spot and a few more mm deeper... repeated ad nauseum.

It's not unusual to need to sharpen the parting tool several times for a deep part either, as plunge cuts make a lot of heat - and heat helps tools to blunt very quickly.

I have some BEAUTIFUL camphor laurel that I got for my birthday, which would be perfect. I want to keep the pattern in the grain, so parting with my 1/4 inch would lose me - 1/2 inch of that. It wouldn't match up.

You'd be surprised at how little difference a 1/2" can make, unless the grain is exceptionally swirly.

Still, for when the need arises, a narrow parting tool can be made from an old power hacksaw blade. These are much like an ordinary hacksaw blade 'cept about an 1 1/2" or 2" wide. After grinding the teeth off (of course) it's a simple matter of cutting one end at an angle, sorta like a skew chisel. I simply wrapped the handle end of mine in a LOT of duct-tape, but a decent handle can be made from wooden slats, much like a knife handle.

'Tis used on edge (again, like a knife) and it's really, really important to use the double cut method with these, but a 3 or 4 mm cut is a big improvement on losing a whole 1/2", eh? :)

Oh... and for my small lidded boxes/goblets, say 2" max. diameter, I use an old carbon steel bread knife that was cut down to about 3" long.

Manuka Jock
2nd March 2009, 08:14 PM
Eliza ,
this bowl has the look of one wanting a lid :U

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=98050&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1235956172 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=98050&d=1235956172)

Enfield Guy
2nd March 2009, 10:54 PM
There is a bandsaw at my place Eliza. I am happy to help. Good work by the way.

ElizaLeahy
3rd March 2009, 07:38 AM
There is a bandsaw at my place Eliza. I am happy to help. Good work by the way.

I'll PM you. :)

OGYT
3rd March 2009, 12:12 PM
Question: Does your CamphorLaurel have the smell of Camphor? Just curious.

ElizaLeahy
3rd March 2009, 12:25 PM
Question: Does your CamphorLaurel have the smell of Camphor? Just curious.

Very strong, lovely to cut, as long as you like the smell. I love the smell.

Ozkaban
4th March 2009, 10:48 AM

I'm not big on pens being all over the place, but the keyrings really seem to benefit from a bit of flair in the design. These ones look great!

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
4th March 2009, 10:50 AM
Eliza,

I forgot to ask you - where did you end up buying your bulk keyrings from? Are you just grabbing a couple at a time from local guys or did you get a bulk lot?

Cheers,
Dave

pitbull
4th March 2009, 05:04 PM
Very nice work Eliza.:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm not big on pens being all over the place, but the keyrings really seem to benefit from a bit of flair in the design. These ones look great!

Agreed wholeheartedly. A pen should look to be comfortable in the hand, making you want to try and use it; a lot of lumps and bumps doesn't help. A keyring, on t'other hand, is purely ornamental.

And these ones do look good!