PDA

View Full Version : Blanks for Pen

garypeck
2nd March 2009, 02:10 PM
Dear all..... i saw some post with regards to Blanks for pen and was interested in such a swap as well........

However, mine is a little different.......

I will trade only 2 types of timber (4 blanks.....2 each):

Jichimu x 2
HuangHuali x 2
But i'd like to have a pair (2) of Jr. Gents or Jr Retros, or Baron ( Completed pens, Rollerball...plating of your choice, blanks your choice) ..........

I will pay for postage to get the blanks to you whilst you pay for getting the pens to me....... Would that seem fair??

Below is a little write up on the blanks.... and there are more information on them if you want to google it.....

HUANG HUALI

During Ming and early Qing dynasties, most of the best furniture was made from
Huang Huali wood. The term Huang Huali is not found in early texts, only Huali was
mentioned. Later the prefix Huang was affixed to Huali to distinguish it from the so-called Xin Huali (new Huali)
The modifier~huang was added to describe the old huali wood whose surfaces had mellowed to a yellowish tone due to long exposure to light.

JICHI WOOD

Jichi wood is also known as chicken-wing wood or qizimu. There are two kinds of Jichi wood, an old one and a new one. New Jichi wood is coarse and purplish-black in color, some of the grain lines being purple, other black. The grain is not very clear, and because it is rigid, straight and coarse, the wood has a tendency to split. Old Jichi wood is denser and of a purplish-brown color. The grain, especially in straight cuts, forms very good patterns suggesting the feathers near the neck and wings of a bird. After the middle of Qing dynasty few pieces were made from old Jichi

gawdelpus
2nd March 2009, 05:36 PM
You may need to be a bit more specific with your wants,eg roller balls fountain pens gold or other, I would think if someone had some spare stock of these on hand they may swap for 2 rare blanks ,but a quick look at pricing to buy these kits plus postage for delivery and postage to you ,not counting time to make pens makes the 2 blanks a person ends up with very expensive ! good luck though :)

garypeck
2nd March 2009, 05:47 PM
You may need to be a bit more specific with your wants,eg roller balls fountain pens gold or other, I would think if someone had some spare stock of these on hand they may swap for 2 rare blanks ,but a quick look at pricing to buy these kits plus postage for delivery and postage to you ,not counting time to make pens makes the 2 blanks a person ends up with very expensive ! good luck though :)

Hi there..... have edited the post to be more specific.....

Am looking for Rollerball....plating of your choice..... and its a trade for 4 blanks......

Sawdust Maker
2nd March 2009, 06:52 PM
a photo or two of each type of timber might wet some appetites

and I'm not sure about the economics of the deal, who fronts for the cost of the kits? and what timbers do you want on the pens?

garypeck
2nd March 2009, 07:03 PM
a photo or two of each type of timber might wet some appetites

and I'm not sure about the economics of the deal, who fronts for the cost of the kits? and what timbers do you want on the pens?

Hi Nick.....

I guess im not too detailed..... sorry bout that as this is the first time im doing this,....

Ok... here goes.....

I'll send the 4 blanks.... my cost....

As for the kits ..... the other party pays for it..... the blanks on the kit is entirely up to the builder......

Jichimu Blanks.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/garypeck/JichiMu-1.jpg

HuangHuali Blanks.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/garypeck/HuangHuali-1.jpg

DJ’s Timber
2nd March 2009, 07:51 PM
From what you've posted you want us to send you a Jr. Gents, Jr Retros, or Baron Rollerball KIT not a turned and completed pen in exchange for 4 pieces of the timber that you've described, is this correct?

garypeck
2nd March 2009, 07:59 PM
From what you've posted you want us to send you a Jr. Gents, Jr Retros, or Baron Rollerball KIT not a turned and completed pen in exchange for 4 pieces of the timber that you've described, is this correct?

Hi DJ,

I would like to have 2 competed pens in either the Jr. Gents or Jr Retros, or Baron Rollerball..... not the kit....

Really am so sorry for the mis communication.....

BoomerangInfo
2nd March 2009, 08:34 PM
Those are actually considered very rare blanks, even though the appearance of the wood to my mind leaves a lot to be desired for the value. In this case, you are paying for the prestige of the name.

If I wasn't trying to save for a decent drill press, thicknesser, and some basics like a replacement for my square that fell apart after 10 years of service :( I'd actually consider this, and may still anyway.

Russell.

DJ’s Timber
2nd March 2009, 08:49 PM
Hi DJ,

I would like to have 2 competed pens in either the Jr. Gents or Jr Retros, or Baron Rollerball..... not the kit....

Really am so sorry for the mis communication.....

Can you give us some links to the historical side of the timber plus a link to general site on the timber and a M³ price in Aussie dollars.

Would need to be of fairly significance value, for me at least to consider turning 2 of these kits and sending them abroad for 4 blanks of Pen turning timber.

You would also need to consider either sending the timber first or at least be prepared to pay a refundable deposit before I'd consider sending 2 completed Barons or similar off beforehand.

garypeck
2nd March 2009, 10:43 PM
Can you give us some links to the historical side of the timber plus a link to general site on the timber and a M³ price in Aussie dollars.

Would need to be of fairly significance value, for me at least to consider turning 2 of these kits and sending them abroad for 4 blanks of Pen turning timber.

You would also need to consider either sending the timber first or at least be prepared to pay a refundable deposit before I'd consider sending 2 completed Barons or similar off beforehand.

Hi DJ,

here's a little write up on the timber.... you should see a lot on information if you google the 2 names.....however you wont see them selling planks of it..... it has all been made into furniture and whatever left overs are usually items that cannot be restored and thus used to repair existing ones....

The value of any blank or any item is always subjective..... i think the only way

If you go over to the IAP and do a search on these 2 blanks, HuangHuali is being sold for between $100-$150 per blanks whilst Jichimu is being sold for between $50-$75

HUANGHUALI

During Ming and early Qing dynasties, most of the best furniture was made from
Huang Huali wood. The term Huang Huali is not found in early texts, only Huali was
mentioned. The prefix Huang was affixed to Huali to describe the old huali wood whose surfaces had mellowed to a yellowish tone due to long exposure to light.

JICHIMU

Jichi wood is also known as chicken-wing wood or qizimu. Some of the grain lines being purple, other black. The grain is not very clear, and because it is rigid, straight and coarse, the wood has a tendency to split. Old Jichi wood is denser and of a purplish-brown color. The grain, especially in straight cuts, forms very good patterns suggesting the feathers near the neck and wings of a bird. After the middle of Qing dynasty few pieces were made from old Jichi wood.

http://theexpat.com/magazine/2009Jan_082_Investment.pdf (http://theexpat.com/magazine/2009Jan_082_Investment.pdf)

http://www.christies.co.uk/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5112607 (http://www.christies.co.uk/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5112607)

BoomerangInfo
2nd March 2009, 11:00 PM
If you go over to the IAP and do a search on these 2 blanks, HuangHuali is being sold for between $100-$150 per blanks whilst Jichimu is being sold for between $50-$75

And that's why the qworld is in a financial crisis :p

But yes, he is correct, that's what people have been paying on IAP + postage!!!

Some of trhe pens made from it look nice, some look very plain. Noner of them I would say look particularly better than a nice burl.

They have done some polls on what people consider the rarest blanks too, and I,ve seen these listed alongside amboyna, snakewood, irish bog oak and Tzu-t'an, along with a bunch of common and even plain imaginary blanks, so who knows. Certificates of authenticity also seem the go with these blanks.

Russell.

DJ’s Timber
2nd March 2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback Gary, sounds like some nice timber with some serious history but am reluctance to commit to this particularly seeing that you're overseas and a relatively new member with less than 20 posts for 2 pens that could be in the vicinity of $120-$200 AU dollars.

garypeck
3rd March 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback Gary, sounds like some nice timber with some serious history but am reluctance to commit to this particularly seeing that you're overseas and a relatively new member with less than 20 posts for 2 pens that could be in the vicinity of $120-$200 AU dollars.

No Worries..... maybe next time.....

But thanks for getting back........

QC Inspector
3rd March 2009, 09:18 PM
Gary approached me with the same deal by a PM through this site a couple days ago. While considering his proposal, I Googled the woods and ended up on the IAP site and found that Gary had been there a while and sold some blanks and swapped with some of them. I sent a messege to one of those members asking about Gary and he wrote:

"Gary Peck is a great person to work with. The wood he sends is top quality. He is a very honest businessman and I have no problem recommending him."

I didn't tell Gary that I had checked up on him and hadn't planned to, but since his integrity has been brought up I felt I should disclose what I discovered.

I sent Gary a note yesterday saying that my girlfriend would be making him a couple Barons (she is the one with the passion for pen turning). She put in the order during lunch yesterday for several Baron kits along with a bunch of others she was getting. In a couple weeks they should be done and ready to send to Gary.

I have no qualms about the deal we worked out and feel that since he is paying the postage from his side and we from our side that there is a fair balance to the trade.:2tsup:

garypeck
4th March 2009, 02:55 AM
Gary approached me with the same deal by a PM through this site a couple days ago. While considering his proposal, I Googled the woods and ended up on the IAP site and found that Gary had been there a while and sold some blanks and swapped with some of them. I sent a messege to one of those members asking about Gary and he wrote:

"Gary Peck is a great person to work with. The wood he sends is top quality. He is a very honest businessman and I have no problem recommending him."

I didn't tell Gary that I had checked up on him and hadn't planned to, but since his integrity has been brought up I felt I should disclose what I discovered.

I sent Gary a note yesterday saying that my girlfriend would be making him a couple Barons (she is the one with the passion for pen turning). She put in the order during lunch yesterday for several Baron kits along with a bunch of others she was getting. In a couple weeks they should be done and ready to send to Gary.

I have no qualms about the deal we worked out and feel that since he is paying the postage from his side and we from our side that there is a fair balance to the trade.:2tsup:

Wow....... someone actually checked on me...... hahaha.....im glad i came out ok...... hahaha...maybe the bit about the businessman is not right..... i usually trade rather than sell.......

In my opinion..... you get some great blanks..... i get some great pens.....so ...... i think its a fair trade off......

gawdelpus
4th March 2009, 03:51 AM
I had already decided to get involved in this "swap" and had PM'd gary accordingly . Seems My judgement was right from the post by "QC" above. I also spoke to the person I made the black coral pen for, and he will finance my costs for a pen made from one of the blanks ,how good is that I get 3 rare blanks for free :)

garypeck
4th March 2009, 03:53 AM
I had already decided to get involved in this "swap" and had PM'd gary accordingly . Seems My judgement was right from the post by "QC" above. I also spoke to the person I made the black coral pen for, and he will finance my costs for a pen made from one of the blanks ,how good is that I get 3 rare blanks for free :)

you dont get 3 blanks for free..... you still get 4..... hahaha

garypeck
6th March 2009, 11:34 AM
come on people........ take me up on the offer...... hahahha

DJ’s Timber
7th March 2009, 11:32 AM
Have moved discussion on Swap for Pens and BSnS to a thread of its own here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=90714), so we don't clog up Gary's thread

garypeck
9th March 2009, 02:40 PM
Here's just an update on those whom have traded with me...... i will be posting pictures once i receive the pens....

Va3jff
Boomeranginfo
gawdelpus
QCinspector
My name is Burl
If there are anymore interested in the trade...... please do let me know......

Regards,
Gary