PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Soap

ElizaLeahy
2nd March 2009, 06:30 PM
Soapwood, that is.

Pretty grain! And HUGE knot...

The knot is pretending it's a piece of stone. I've left it on the lathe and closed up for the night. It can spend the night thinking about it, and maybe it will behave in the morning.

Other then sharp tools and a fresh mind, any suggestions about knots that pretend they are made of stone?

RETIRED
2nd March 2009, 07:21 PM
I thought you had tried to emulate another member as regards soap.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd March 2009, 07:56 PM
Sharp tools, a fresh mind and a LOT of patience. :D (Not worth getting into a lather over. [groan])

And get as good a finish off the tool as you possibly can, so you can sand as little as possible... 'cos the softer wood will sand away faster, leaving the knot standing proud. DAMHIKT. :rolleyes:

RETIRED
2nd March 2009, 08:44 PM
.....and use a gouge to cut the knot.

artme
2nd March 2009, 08:53 PM
Second all of the above.:2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
2nd March 2009, 11:13 PM
If there's any chance at all of the knot coming loose as you turn things down, I always pour in some CA around it to keep it in place. . . . . . . .and what they all said :U

robutacion
3rd March 2009, 02:24 AM
If there's any chance at all of the knot coming loose as you turn things down, I always pour in some CA around it to keep it in place. . . . . . . .and what they all said :U

Yeah, yeah, absolutely...! making sure the knot is solid (properly attached to the wood) is really important. Sometimes the knots are that hard to cut (smooth with the tool) that hand sanding is necessary but like Skew has said, softer wood around the knots can be a "pain" for normal hand sanding so I would suggest to use a disc pad sander, as large as possible, 75 to 100mm when possible (on a drill) and do most of the smoothing on it with the lathe off. Off-course, all what was said previously is applicable!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
3rd March 2009, 07:46 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the blank is long enough to CUT it below the knot? Stupid wood :(

Manuka Jock
3rd March 2009, 07:55 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the blank is long enough to CUT it below the knot? Stupid wood :(

If you could plot ot the depth of the bowl at that point , you may be able to drill out the knot .
Getting the direction right might be tricky though .

Do you have a pic of the offending 'rock' ?

dr4g0nfly
3rd March 2009, 08:21 AM
You don't give much of a clue to work on, is it a bowl or spindle, are you still shaping your piece or finishing it.

For the shaping go with everyone's suggestion of sharp tools but if it's a finish you're looking for sharpen you heaviest scraper and take very delicate shear cuts, holding it at an acute an angle as you can maintain.

Hope it works for you, knots and similar growths often make a stunning addition to a turning.

Post a piccy of the finished item.

ElizaLeahy
3rd March 2009, 08:35 AM
Here is the rock. Looks innocent, doesn't it?

Manuka Jock
3rd March 2009, 08:53 AM
Here is the rock. Looks innocent, doesn't it?

Yep ,in a real ugly looking way .

What are you intending to make ?

ElizaLeahy
3rd March 2009, 09:02 AM
Possibly, a lump of wood.

Preferably, a weedpot (hair stick holder)

I've taken it off for the moment

dr4g0nfly
3rd March 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting the photo of the problem.

You're going to have fun with that, it's a bit near the end and with the rot hole one side and that crack around the opposite side of the knot it's all-in-all a bit of a horror.

I still recommend shear scraping to get a finish if you do intend to use that that end but I think your right in taking it off for now and thinking about what to do with it.

Is it big enough for a piece of wooden fruit - I've found some people really like the effect of the rot, it gives the effect of rotting fruit. Strange, yes - but I've sold several like it in English yew.

Best of luck.