PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast M305 Midi Lathe

watsrags
3rd March 2009, 11:21 PM
Am getting a lathe ( my first) at the end of this month and I like the look and price ($495 and it is in my price range) of the Woodfast M305 Midi Lathe. Is there any other lathes I should be looking at.
Yes I know it doesn't have a shivell head but as I intend to mainly do spindle work it appears to do what I want but if I wish to do bowl work it will easiely do up to 300mm
Trevor

ElizaLeahy
4th March 2009, 07:46 AM
Whoo Hooo!!!! New meat!!!! heehee

I can only tell you what they told me when I got my lathe in January.

Make sure that the tail and the head join up... That is, when you look at it sideways bring the tail up to the head - the two points should meet. Then when you look down on the top of it - same thing, the points should meet.

Where are you buying it from?

One thing that I didn't get with mine that I wish I did was a veriable speed. I have to play around with the belt inside to change speeds - so I don't. I'd get a veriable speed if I were doing it again.

I have a Jet Mini Lathe which is a wonderful machine.

ElizaLeahy
4th March 2009, 07:47 AM
Oh yeah, and hang out here as much as possible!!! You can learn so much from these guys!

watsrags
4th March 2009, 09:58 AM
[quote=ElizaLeahy;908008]Whoo Hooo!!!! New meat!!!! heehee

most likely Cara-tec or Woodfast in Adelaide
Woodfast is $35 dearer but the claim they pull the lathe out of the box and check that you are running properly that check that there will be now problems when I get it home

ElizaLeahy
4th March 2009, 10:04 AM
You can ask caba tec if they will do the same thing. The Brisbane one said that they would for me, but I ended up buying off Dave. We need some local guys to respond - they will, give them time :)

poulso
4th March 2009, 02:54 PM
Hi Trevor
I was in the same boat as you recently deciding what lathe
to buy & decided after doing some research on this
forum that a WOODFAST M305 sounded like a
pretty good lathe.So i rang Jim & Irene @
Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies who were also
a great help in deciding what to buy & i ordered
my new lathe yesterday.Can't wait till it arrives.
Anyway i probably didn't help you with your
decision but good luck.
Jason

OGYT
4th March 2009, 03:03 PM
Don't know the lathe, but an 300mm bowl is a pretty nice size bowl. :D

watsrags
4th March 2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Trevor
I was in the same boat as you recently deciding what lathe
to buy & decided after doing some research on this
forum that a WOODFAST M305 sounded like a
pretty good lathe.So i rang Jim & Irene @
Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies who were also
a great help in deciding what to buy & i ordered
my new lathe yesterday.Can't wait till it arrives.
Anyway i probably didn't help you with your
decision but good luck.
Jason
Thanks Jason,
I guess the anwser I looking for is how many people who suggest that I buy another brand of lathe and why,but if I don't get that sort of responce I get I must have the right appoach with the Woodfast

SawDustSniffer
4th March 2009, 04:29 PM
there are plenty of other brands that make better lathes , but not in that price range ,if you can afford it look at "stubby" "nova "

the woodfast will get you addicted and in 3 years or so you'll agree a $10,000 stubby is well worth it (yes they are 20x better)

don't forget you need a bench grinder (you can mount a grind stone in your lathe ) for sharpening your tools and tools as well ,sand paper , polishes ,

watsrags
4th March 2009, 06:10 PM
there are plenty of other brands that make better lathes , but not in that price range ,if you can afford it look at "stubby" "nova "

the woodfast will get you addicted and in 3 years or so you'll agree a $10,000 stubby is well worth it (yes they are 20x better)

don't forget you need a bench grinder (you can mount a grind stone in your lathe ) for sharpening your tools and tools as well ,sand paper , polishes ,
Yes I already agree that for more money there is a lot of lathes far better then the woodfast But she who pays the bills controlls how much I can spend otherwise I would a buy a Vicmac.
Is there by any chance a kit that you know of to mount a grind stone on a Woodfast M305

coffenup
4th March 2009, 06:41 PM
Watsrags I have one of those lathes if you want to test run it contact me & you can have a shot on mine. I am in adelaide if this helps. I love mine it has limits but its great for what I do.

Regards Michael

watsrags
4th March 2009, 07:16 PM
Watsrags I have one of those lathes if you want to test run it contact me & you can have a shot on mine. I am in adelaide if this helps. I love mine it has limits but its great for what I do.

Regards Michael

Many thanks Michael,
I was in Adelaide Sunday just gone and spent a couple of hours on the Woodfast M305,Like what I saw yes it has some limits but mainly will do everything I currently need.
One of those limits means I save on the price of larger timber bits.
At first I will spend time hopefully mastering pen making then later progress to other things
Am joining the local Woodies club and will get members from there to teach me use it correctly and show me what not to do
My next trip to Adeliade will be at the end of the month to collect the lathe
Trevor

Hermosil
12th February 2016, 12:25 AM
Hello I haveve had my 305 for 6 months and couldnt be happier with it. I t is a very capable machine and I like that the headstock thread is a standard m30.
I hope that you enjoy using it.

Shaun

greyhound
12th February 2016, 06:15 AM
Whoo Hooo!!!! New meat!!!! heehee

I can only tell you what they told me when I got my lathe in January.

Make sure that the tail and the head join up... That is, when you look at it sideways bring the tail up to the head - the two points should meet. Then when you look down on the top of it - same thing, the points should meet.

One thing that I didn't get with mine that I wish I did was a veriable speed. I have to play around with the belt inside to change speeds - so I don't. I'd get a veriable speed if I were doing it again.

I have a Jet Mini Lathe which is a wonderful machine.

Yep agree the only way to go is the electronic veritable speed control

Allan at Wallan
12th February 2016, 03:08 PM
Yep agree the only way to go is the electronic veritable speed control

Might be worn out by now - original post almost seven years old. (lol).

Allan

Mobyturns
12th February 2016, 10:31 PM
Yep, variable speed is a veritable bonus!

coffenup
13th February 2016, 01:55 PM
y woodfast midi is 5 years old now and still going strong
regards Michael