PDA

View Full Version : Egg Cup

cqvillas
4th March 2009, 10:33 PM
Since it was my uncles 80th birthday I wanted to make something for him out of a piece of his 50yr old mango tree that he so graciously gave me some of. Anyway he was gratefull and I thought you might like to see it. Finish is lacquer.

Ed Reiss
4th March 2009, 11:24 PM
...verrrrrrrry nice :2tsup:

pitbull
5th March 2009, 02:46 AM
Eggcellent. :B

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 07:59 AM
Lovely! Beautiful shape and I love the saucer is part of it.

Was it hard getting the size right for an egg? Zoe wants an egg cup and I'm afraid it won't fit the egg!!!

bowl-basher
5th March 2009, 08:01 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Love your design I have been trying to work out a way to jaz up some egg cups I want to make for my grand children and you have just given me the answer..
consider your egg cup pinched thanks
Bowl Basher:brava:brava:brava

Rum Pig
5th March 2009, 08:41 AM

Was it hard getting the size right for an egg? Zoe wants an egg cup and I'm afraid it won't fit the egg!!!
I use a ruff template to give me the ruff size and then I use a hard boiled egg to test the fit so far so good.

And if you get hungry well you have a ready made snack:U

Rum Pig
5th March 2009, 08:43 AM
Oops I forgot:B to say that it is a fine looking egg cup your uncle should be happy well done :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
5th March 2009, 09:14 AM
Wonderful piece!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
5th March 2009, 09:17 AM
that's very nice. I like the idea of returning something made from the wood he gave you too...

Your idea has been pinched - straight to the 'must do' folder!

Cheers,
Dave

Gil Jones
5th March 2009, 09:21 AM
Neat looking egg cup and saucer:2tsup:

cqvillas
5th March 2009, 09:53 AM

Eliza,
Thanks for your comment. I bought one of those plastic eggs from a farm produce supplier to test the fit as I was turning.

Nev.

OGYT
5th March 2009, 04:33 PM
That is really nice of you, to make him an egg cup from his tree. You've done a good job on it, too!
I really like the saucer part, also.
How does one use an egg cup. I've seen them quite often, but have never seen one while it is being used. Am I uncouth, because I don't know how to use an egg cup? :U

Rum Pig
5th March 2009, 04:56 PM
That is really nice of you, to make him an egg cup from his tree. You've done a good job on it, too!
I really like the saucer part, also.
How does one use an egg cup. I've seen them quite often, but have never seen one while it is being used. Am I uncouth, because I don't know how to use an egg cup? :U

people who eat Hard boiled eggs use them.
I do not eat them but this is my understanding. You sit the egg in the cup shell and all then you cut the top of the egg so you can get a small spoon in to scoop out all the egg. So basically it hold the egg so you do not burn your hand while you eat a boiled egg:U
I hope this has made it as clear as mud
and I hope I have done you egg eaters justice

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 04:59 PM
we eat them every morning. And if you want to have them soft you can cut thin bits of toast and dunk it in :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2009, 06:10 PM
...or just thin strips of plain ol' buttered bread. Mmmm... cackleberries & ladies fingers. :)

cqvillas, nicely done! I really like the shape of the eggcup and if it's seperate to the saucer then you've done a good job of matching the two. :2tsup:

Is that a bit of spalting running through the eggcup? Or did you need to do some fill work?

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 06:59 PM
From my days of experience that's just mango Skew - some mango looks like spalting or burl.

Of course, I could be wrong.

:D

cqvillas
5th March 2009, 09:07 PM
...or just thin strips of plain ol' buttered bread. Mmmm... cackleberries & ladies fingers. :)

cqvillas, nicely done! I really like the shape of the eggcup and if it's seperate to the saucer then you've done a good job of matching the two. :2tsup:

Is that a bit of spalting running through the eggcup? Or did you need to do some fill work?

Hi Skew,

It's all one piece so I can't claim any matching abilities and the spalting just appeared at the right depth so it gave a nice effect.

Cheers,
Nev

cqvillas
5th March 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi Skew,

The egg cup is all one piece so I can't claim any match up proess but the design makes for all possibilities of contrasting timbers and effects. The spalting just happened to appear at the right depth and I have encountered this type of thing before with mango - you never know what you will get at the end.

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 09:26 PM
nice eggcup
like the design immensely :2tsup::2tsup:

bowl-basher
6th March 2009, 12:56 PM
people who eat Hard boiled eggs use them.
I do not eat them but this is my understanding. You sit the egg in the cup shell and all then you cut the top of the egg so you can get a small spoon in to scoop out all the egg. So basically it hold the egg so you do not burn your hand while you eat a boiled egg:U
I hope this has made it as clear as mud
and I hope I have done you egg eaters justice

Not to mention that it(the egg) is just in the right position to accept fingers of hot buttered toast as in "dipping good"
Bowl-Basher:yippy::yippy:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2009, 02:49 PM
The spalting just happened to appear at the right depth and I have encountered this type of thing before with mango - you never know what you will get at the end.

From my days of experience that's just mango Skew - some mango looks like spalting or burl.

Ah. :) I thought so, but the only piece of Mango I've ever bothered turning had that 'orrible blue stain through it. Never bothered trying any more after that. [shudder]

ElizaLeahy
6th March 2009, 03:49 PM
Ah. :) I thought so, but the only piece of Mango I've ever bothered turning had that 'orrible blue stain through it. Never bothered trying any more after that. [shudder]

I think that might be the case with the sap wood, where the heart wood might be more highly figured. I'll let you know when they get around to cutting down the dead one next door!!! ;)