PDA

View Full Version : two pots that don't match

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 06:36 PM
You probably know about the art show by now, I think I might have mentioned it once or twice

:D

Anyway, tomorrow is the big "opening night" and we decided we should get a present for the curator of the show. She is a bit of a hippy chick, so I thought something wood would be nice. And give me a chance to play :)

I was going to use a piece of my birthday Camphor Laurel, but Conwood from here on the forum gave me some pieces to play with today, including a branch of mango. So I turned the mango branch.

I wasn't totally happy with the colour, so I turned the camphor Laurel. Then I realised something. While alone they look rather small and insignifican't, they are a PAIR together.

I swear to you, I didn't measure anything. I stuck the branch in, cut it in half, ended it, stuck it in the chuck, went for it. Then with the CL - I got 4 bits for my birthday, all different lengths, I just picked one at random and went for it.

They are EXACTLY the same height. So, slightly different in pattern, the necks are different, the woods certainly don't match - yet they are a non matching pair!

Which is kind of perfect for our show, which is 8 artists with mental illness and how we fit into society! (it's a study Karleen has been doing for over a year, she will be writing a book about it)

So, here they are. :)

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 06:39 PM
Oh yeah, they are 5.5 inches high and 2.5 inches wide at the biggest bit. The mango is 1/16th of an inch larger at the lip.

I can't believe how close they are!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2009, 06:47 PM
Now you need to make a tray to put 'em on & keep 'em close together... :wink:

Together they make a pair, but I reckon that if they were at opposite ends of a mantelpiece, for example, they'd become "individuals" again.

Enfield Guy
5th March 2009, 09:13 PM
It seems Elisa, that you have somewhat of a natural gift. I would think that it will not be long before you are looking for something larger in a lathe. You go girl!!!!!

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 09:24 PM
Nice work :2tsup:
not sure that I'd call them a pair, as different shapes, timbers etc but I reckon she'll be tickled pink to get them, I know I would

ElizaLeahy
5th March 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Nick,

That's what I meant - they aren't a pair because they don't match, but they are exactly the same size without having measured and starting with different sized and shaped pieces of wood.

I used all my pieces of micromesh too and made them all nice and smooth. Practicing for pens :)

artme
5th March 2009, 10:07 PM
A pigeon pair?

Ed Reiss
6th March 2009, 02:31 AM
...loving cups........ahh, vases !! :U

Rum Pig
6th March 2009, 08:29 AM
The odd couple:D

How did you hollow them??

They will good as a pair or individual:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
6th March 2009, 08:38 AM
I drilled, then came in from the end the same as goblets. I went down the neck about 2 inchs or a bit less.

Texian
6th March 2009, 01:05 PM
Those are very nice Eliza! Your artistic ability is indeed showing.