PDA

View Full Version : Drill Bits - group purchase

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 07:37 PM
A while ago Edblysard made an offer to do a bulk purchase of drill bits in the bigger sizes for us Aussies. I thanked him and said I'd do some sums and see what different prices etc were.
I've finally got round to pulling my finger out and done some research. I've quickly looked at the common sizes, compared them to the Sutton's viper HSS listed RRP and seen how much they are on a US site. I picked on Woodcraft, for no other reason then that I knew they existed.

continued below ...

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry
I got thrown off the other computer by a 6yo - can't win :no:
The attached excel spreadsheet shows some of the common sizes needed for pens with the Suttons RRP price for their Viper HSS bits, what my local hardware store charged for those bits, what Woodcraft charges for the same size bit and that figure converted into Aussie Dollars (at $0.643)
This is an email to simply gauge interest. I've no idea of what the shipping from the USofA might be and imagine that most orders would fit within a 500g satchel here in Aus
so whom is interested and in what? I don't have a problem in distributing from this end, assuming there is not hundreds of kgs
And if there are any other size bits people want please express interest in them as well
If you can't see the excel spreadsheet let me know, there might be some other way to attach it

PS: Ed I hope you are still up for this?

schaf
5th March 2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Nick,
I do not know, on your prices, add on US postage, maybe insurance, postage from you to me, would just about equal Australian retail.

What do others think.

Terry

aak
5th March 2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Nick,

I can see the spreadsheet, so I assume others see it too.

I would be happy to have a set, but I would not trouble Ed for it (I am sure he has better things to do). The savings are really only applicable to the larger sizes. Once you add postage, the difference is next to nothing. So why to give work to Ed that takes him away from turning. If we can't get the drills here, then that is a different story. But then I would like to do something in return for Ed's kind offer for giving up his time.

Regards
Andy

echnidna
5th March 2009, 08:19 PM
p&n (sutton) may do a deal for a group purchase, its worth trying them before you import

BoomerangInfo
5th March 2009, 08:28 PM
First of all

COPYCAT!!!!!

OK, now I've got that out of my system :) Taking a flat rate envelop specs, I reckon you'd be looking at maybe getting 30 bits for a package which costs say US$13.50 to send from the states to here.

Then lets say a single package of 1 bit, with $2 P&P within Aus.

At those rates, you're losing, or breaking even up until 27/64 and from there you start to make a saving with $4.57 for 15/32, $4.22 for 31/64 and $11.32 for 33/64.

If you bump the postage up to a fixed $5.50 for 1 bit, which is obviously excessive, you have a $7 saving on 33/64, but that's about it.

Buying multiple bits for one person will increase savings due to averaging postage costs.

This is only based on a rough estimate for what will fit into a flat rate envelope though, so lots of room for variation.

Russell.

QC Inspector
5th March 2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe you should look into a bulk buy of sets of bits. Lee Valley has a 29 piece HSS set (1/16" to 1/2" in 64th" increments) for $84.00 (US I presume) and they are by no means the cheapest supplier on this continent, That works out to an average of about $2.90 a bit, plus exchange and shipping. Some good hunting could probably turn up a better price, but maybe not the service of LV.:wink:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=32241&cat=1,180,42240

ENCO has Cobalt for a few bucks more.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-8846&PMPXNO=3463190&PARTPG=INLMK32

You just need to find a Yank to buy for you and then forward to Australia.:doh:

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 09:03 PM
First of all

COPYCAT!!!!!

Russell.

Who me? :roll:

These prices were just what was available through a normal woodwork supplier. I didn't have time to shop around
Ed commented that he usually sources his from machine shop or machine tool suppliers
and seemed to suggest that they might even be cheaper at such places
The link to the earlier discussion is here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=88429&page=2)

funkychicken
5th March 2009, 09:54 PM
CSUSA have Colt drill bits, I'd like to try them out:wink:

edblysard
6th March 2009, 12:29 AM
Still up for it...
Don't worry about my time, I go by the place where I will pick up the bits on a daily basis...it is less than a mile from home, and my pen business partner goes there every day as part of his "real" job anyway.
I work part time for Woodcraft, so if any of the bits have come from there, well, you see the point.
Once a really complete list is compiled and consolidated then I will see what is on hand at the suppliers, and what needs to be ordered and such, and firm up a total price and shipping date...stuff like that.
Happy to help out.
To give you an idea of the cost...
A Nachi HHS 31/64th bit runs $4.26 American..really nice bit by the way, will drill anything...the Econo version runs $2.66..still a good bit, but I would not drill hard steel or stainless with it...will do fine on wood and acrylic...

Mobil Man
6th March 2009, 02:11 AM
I've got a couple of Colt bits, last one from Woodcraft. Don't see they're any more expensive that the other good brands, but I'll be buying the Colt from now on. They are a very extra sharp & like they advertise--can go thru a long blank without heating or bogging. I've used bits of all sorts woodworking & being a mechanic & these are by far the best bits & ever seen.

edblysard
6th March 2009, 12:13 PM
I like the Colt drill bits also...same basic price as most others, but a better bit, in my opinion...they tend to stay sharp longer, and have better ejector flues...when I sell pen kits, and the customer wants a drill bit for the kit, I tend to direct them away from the "pen makers bits" and towards the Colts...sometimes the Colts cost less, and are better bits.