PDA

View Full Version : Tree ID

Ed Reiss
6th March 2009, 01:38 PM
Loml and I watched the film "Australia" last evening.It was mildly interesting, but what caught my attention were the very strange looking trees shown out in the bush. They have almost bulbuous bases, then smaller branches going out almost vertically.

Anyone know just what the name is?:thanx2:

Grumpy John
6th March 2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/image-files/boab-tree.jpg

If you're talking about these trees Ed, they're called Boab trees. For more information click here. (http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/boab_tree.html)

Ed Reiss
6th March 2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, John they's the ones. Are the good for turning stock or used in flatwork?

Rum Pig
6th March 2009, 02:05 PM
I aways thought they were hollow inside but I could be wrong
I do know the were used as jails back in the day.

Grumpy John
6th March 2009, 02:08 PM
To be honest Ed, I don't know, but you'd sure get plenty of blanks for any sort of turning. After revisiting the photos of my trip from Broome to Kununurra I wish I'd packed my chainsaw :D

SawDustSniffer
6th March 2009, 03:07 PM
Ive tried to get hold of some .its supposed to tuberous with extreme shrinkage
the trouble is ,boabs don't die , Ive seen one with 1800's dates chiseled in to them ( they must be 400+ years ) and no one chops them down , they will sooner place there house in a different position than remove the tree

artme
6th March 2009, 04:48 PM
Boabs are an interesting tree in many respects, not least of which is that there is some thought that the seeds may have been brought to that part of Australia from Africa by traders way back when.

Another theory is concerned with the idea of continental drift. Aus. and Africa were once joined and have drifted apart. That is the reson for the similarity in many of the plant species in Sth. Africa and SW WA.

Caveman
6th March 2009, 07:39 PM
Another theory is concerned with the idea of continental drift. Aus. and Africa were once joined and have drifted apart. That is the reson for the similarity in many of the plant species in Sth. Africa and SW WA.

Beautiful trees!
Here's a couple from this part of the world taken on a recent foray into the sticks.

See if you can make out what's under the ones in the 1st pic:U.

The wood is very soft fibrous. The locals here use the fibres to make cloth and 'bags' etc.

texx
6th March 2009, 08:20 PM
i may of put this pic up before not sure , but this grandaddy deserves a second look anyway.
no hang on sorry got in trouble last time i posted a pic safer not to dont know how to thumbnail and the pic is 64 k :?:?

joe greiner
7th March 2009, 02:09 AM
i may of put this pic up before not sure , but this grandaddy deserves a second look anyway.
no hang on sorry got in trouble last time i posted a pic safer not to dont know how to thumbnail and the pic is 64 k :?:?

Huh? 64Kb should be uploadable as an attachment, not embedded. Thumbnails are created automatically. Your previous uploads may be accessible in your User CP, under Miscellaneous Attachments, if that's how they were made. I think.:-

Cheers,
Joe

robutacion
7th March 2009, 02:42 AM
Beautiful trees!
Here's a couple from this part of the world taken on a recent foray into the sticks.

The wood is very soft fibrous. The locals here use the fibres to make cloth and 'bags' etc.

Elephants x 3 ...?

Is that in one of the animal reserves up in the NT?

I was told that they're called "bottle tree", or at least they look like them. I've seen plenty of them when in the NT and traveling to WA through the kimberlys. I don't think they are much good for turning or any normal timber use as this things are like coconut trees inside. They're like big water sponges, reason why people call them bottle trees. One can survive drinking from these trees, if you know how to get the water out!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

artme
7th March 2009, 08:14 AM
Sometimes called "Bottle Trees" Rbtcn although that is a name normally given to several species of trees such as the Illawarra Flame tree, the Kurrajong and the Queensland Lacebark - all Brachychytons. ( Pardon any spelling errors )

There are several beautiful "Bottle trees" in Anzac Square here in Brisbane.

Allan at Wallan
7th March 2009, 09:37 AM
Beautiful trees!

"What's under the ones in the 1st pic":U

Looks like Barry Hicks and Munruben with chainsaws at the ready.:2tsup:

Allan

Ed Reiss
7th March 2009, 12:47 PM
"What's under the ones in the 1st pic":U

Looks like Barry Hicks and Munruben with chainsaws at the ready.:2tsup:

Allan

:roflmao:

....well, it's certainly been interesting to learn about the Boab. Thanks, guys, for all the info:cool:

glenn k
7th March 2009, 05:03 PM
Elephants x 3 ...?

Is that in one of the animal reserves up in the NT?

I was told that they're called "bottle tree", or at least they look like them. I've seen plenty of them when in the NT and traveling to WA through the kimberlys. I don't think they are much good for turning or any normal timber use as this things are like coconut trees inside. They're like big water sponges, reason why people call them bottle trees. One can survive drinking from these trees, if you know how to get the water out!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO
Coconut palms have very hard "wood" i have seen it milled in Figi. But yes Brachychyton wood is soft and stringy ie full of fibers like palms I supose. I once milled a Canary Island Palm was interesting like fibre reinforced expanded polly styrene, was nearly as stong as pine a 6" x 1" 2m long would suport me.
I have heard of Bottle trees being felled so the cattle could eat the "wood".