PDA

View Full Version : peppercorn tree

turnerted
11th March 2009, 04:29 PM
G'day
During the week I picked up some branches from a peppercorn tree after the poweline tree pruners went through .Anyone had any experience turning this? It was suggested to me that the white sap that it exudes could be hazardous . Any comments ?

Ted

new_guy90
11th March 2009, 08:09 PM
not sure about how it would turn or if it will be bad for you "that doesn't look good" if you try it i for one would love to see how it works out :D

good luck

Patrick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2009, 12:27 AM
I've turned spalted peppercorn before, which seemed to work nicely. Made for some lovely pens! I didn't try any fine coves or beading, being spalted I let the grain speak for itself, so I can't comment on how it holds fine detail. But I don't remember any difficulties with it. :2tsup:

I'd still try to avoid the sap while still green, washing my hands immediately after handling. And, once dried, I'd use a dust mask so I didn't breathe in any fine particles.

But these are basic safety measures that all of us follow with any sort of green timber, right? :rolleyes: (I really should try to locate my dust mask. I know it's in the shed somewhere... :-)

Ed Reiss
12th March 2009, 12:24 PM
(I really should try to locate my dust mask. I know it's in the shed somewhere... :-)

...I think I saw it wedged between a couple of boxes in the pics you posted:U:U

glenn k
12th March 2009, 07:05 PM
It's sticky muck but I have never heard of it being toxic. Stock eat it and don't die but who knows.

TTIT
13th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Not sure about the health aspects Ted but I turned this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=39998) a couple of years ago and I'm still kickin' on :U Not bad wood for turning :2tsup: Slices well and sands nicely but soaks up a bucket-load of finish.