PDA

View Full Version : todays turnings

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 07:15 PM
Today I discovered candle sticks! I found the brass inserts to make them safe at Carba Tec. Cute. So of course, knowing that they existed, I had to make some.

Silky Oak, Blackwood, Mango and Camphor Laurel. SO is about 3.5" the others are closer to 4.5"

If you get shellawax in your eye does it make it shine? Certainly makes it sting.

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 07:18 PM
ooops, the blackwood one in that set is just a different photo of the CL

Sawdust Maker
14th March 2009, 10:01 PM
Eliza
nice effort
but dare I say that that number 1 candle holder has better form because of its crisper lines. Specifically below the tulip.
number 3 looks like a vase! is it?

ps number 3 is a candle holder as well :B
Damn got that so wrong :doh:

orificiam
14th March 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Eliza I Like the lot :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

ElizaLeahy
14th March 2009, 10:11 PM
All candle holders. Playing with shapes :)

Ad de Crom
14th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Eliza, you are really very good in playing with shapes, these shapes are very cool.
The brass inserts, great idea.
I made several candlesticks, but never had the thought of using brass inserts.
Where did you find these inserts, probably in a shop.
You amaze me more and more, I really like your turnings.
Keep em going
Ad :2tsup:

Rum Pig
15th March 2009, 12:40 AM
I see your lathe is back in full swing:U

Well done nice bunch of sticks:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
15th March 2009, 08:21 AM
Ad, CarbaTec sells them. I'm sure you could find something local?

Yes, lathe is working really well now (dare I say, better then I am!)

maybe I should change my sig to "I make sticks out of wood"

Ed Reiss
15th March 2009, 12:06 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
15th March 2009, 03:45 PM
Some very nice shapes. Suggest you slightly radius the very bottom edge rather than leaving it a sharp edge.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2009, 11:21 PM
Some very nice shapes. Suggest you slightly radius the very bottom edge rather than leaving it a sharp edge.

Awww... that was my next hint! :wink:

joe greiner
16th March 2009, 09:49 PM
What they said, and maybe provide a "shelf" about 1mm deep to lift them up, for a "floating in air" appearance.

Very nice exploration of shapes, Eliza.:2tsup:

Ad, there are at least two forms of the inserts available. One of my mates uses some that are shallow rings; I'm not sure of his source. I got some full-depth cups from Craft Supplies in Utah; CS in UK might have them too. They have a hole in the bottom for screw attachment.

Cheers,
Joe

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 07:24 AM
I don't understand the "shelf" - where would I put it?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th March 2009, 06:37 PM
Under the foot. Slightly exaggerated, but you'll get the idea:

I also like to hollow out the underside of my feet, so they're sitting on a lip all the way around. It makes them a bit more stable than just a flat face, and adds a bit more Ooah value when people turn them upside down to have a look. :)

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 07:04 PM
The hollowing I get. I have one here that wobbles because I didn't hollow it! lol

But I'm not sure why the shelf. I guess I'll have to try one and see!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th March 2009, 07:13 PM
It just lifts the foot off the table-top for a fraction of a mm, and gives a visually appealing "floating" effect.

As with any special effect, it works for some designs but looks out of place on others.

Rounding over the foot so it doesn't have a crisp, square edge looks good on any design though.

munruben
18th March 2009, 09:31 AM
I like 'em Eliza. Well done.:2tsup:

jerryc
19th March 2009, 05:34 PM
Design is a tricky area and a maxim to follow is that form follows function.

I have no quarrel with the workmanship (personship?)

In my opinion the flaw in your work is that the candlesticks, in the main appear top heavy for the function for which they were designed.

A candle is a long lever and so requires a wide base and or heavy base to balance it. In most cases I feel that the candle would be perilously poised to fall over. I am of course assuming these were prepared for a standard candle and not a short stubby one, but even so a wide base would help.

But as I said I like the actual turnings.

Jerry

ElizaLeahy
19th March 2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that Jerry, I don't burn candles (Zoe is afraid I'll burn the place down) so I wasn't thinking of that. I should buy one. The width of the base is the width of the wood.

I'm thinking maybe I should try gluing two bits together - a base and the narrower bit of the stem. I guess the base would be a small bowl blank type thing?

jerryc
20th March 2009, 09:08 AM
Eliza,

The width of the wood controlling the design is a common trap. It's one I have fallen into myself. One way to overcome this is to turn the stem with a spigot on the bottom. Then the base can be turned from another piece with a corresponding hole. If you create a bead at the spigot, then the two can be pushed together and no joint will show . If I can find it,, I'll post an example of mine that shows what not to do. We all learn through mistakes, I know I have.

Jerry