PDA

View Full Version : any tips on turning

woodymarts
2nd June 2004, 09:41 AM
hi my name is woodymarts,
Iam32 and live in England and work as a nurse,
resantly (spelling mistake)I enheretid my Farther In Laws wood working tools and lathe as new to wood turning I wonderd if anyone had any tips for me as i want to start makeing things .I realy could use the help many thanks marts :)

Little Festo
2nd June 2004, 09:57 AM
Good thing for you to do would be to get some lessons, a good beginners book - Woodturning A Foundation Course, is one I'd recommend and possibly have look at a few magazines - Woodturner or Woodturning - both UK magazines.

All the best Woodymart - woodturning is a great pastime.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2004, 01:42 PM
G'day.

Lessons, books, & videos all help but if you can find a Woodturning Club nearby where you live or work & go along to a few meetings that will also help to get you started.

woodymarts
3rd June 2004, 07:46 AM
hi cliff,

thanks for the helpful advice ,I will try and find a course at my local collage and will get some mags. well I will have to try and lug it into the garage as that is my new woorshop.My farther in law would have been proud of me ,I have put all my tools hung up on nails and I know where to go to get them,it was a very sad way he whent with a masive hart attack ,I tryed to do C.P.R but it did not work?now I just feel guilty useing his tool but I know he would be proud of me so that is why I am going to learn to turn .:)

rsser
3rd June 2004, 10:27 PM
Good to honour one's father-in-law Woodymarts, so go for it.

Do a google search on the Web for Brian Clifford's excellent intro to woodturning.

Cheers,

Ern

barnsey
3rd June 2004, 10:38 PM
My father taught me to turn, bought my first lathe and has just given me his tools because his sight has failed him but he recognised that the work I'm producing has some merit. Like you I want to make him proud of his gesture so I can't recommend the advice given more with the exception of when you have the confidence that you know what you are doing - just keep persisting and you will find a tremendous satisfaction especially if you have some of his pieces in your possesion and you see the qualities of your own work.

Go forth and turn, and turn and then do some more.

Good Luck

Jamie

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2004, 12:12 AM
...,it was a very sad way he went with a masive hart attack ,I tryed to do C.P.R but it did not work

Marts, I've never had to, nor want to, watch a family member, or anyone else, shuffle off, even peacefully... I don't envey you that honour.

However, I'd be proud to have any tools left to me in a will & I would consider it an honour to go out & do my best to look after them & learn how to do them justice.
See if you can find a Woodturning Club nearby too 'cos it does help heaps to be able to talk to, watch & ask questions of club members. After all, that's why they are in the club too. They usually have some of the extra stuff that you may not have inherited like a bandsaw & a grinder etc. They can also give you an idea of what's good & what's not if (when) you catch the bug in big way & start to buy more gear.

DanP
4th June 2004, 02:51 AM
I tryed to do C.P.R but it did not work?now I just feel guilty useing his tool

Marts,

Sorry to take away from the WW content of the thread. I have come across many a situation in my job where I have watched ambulance officers work on people, doing CPR. They are set up and thorughly trained to do these things and still they fail sometimes. Don't feel guilt at your attempts at CPR failing. The fact that you had the prescence of mind to try when many others would have panicked and not done anything shows what type of person you are. Your Father in Law would have been proud of your efforts. I am sorry for your loss and I hope that you use those tools with pride, for they carry more meaning than the ones that you would buy yourself. I wish you all the best.

Dan

woodymarts
4th June 2004, 06:05 AM
hi,
thankyou all for all your kind words.you have all made me heeps better and given me insperation.I will go on to use all the tools with pride ,I am going to get the lathe out of his store room into the garage but it is very hevey.but i am realy looking forward to useing it and getting lots of help from you guys.
many thanks for giveing me the kind words of help through this sad time .
woodymarts

Tristan Croll
4th June 2004, 05:54 PM
The thing about CPR, is that it is very, very unlikely to start someone's heart going again. The best you can hope for is to keep providing the victim's body with enough oxygen to stay alive until the ambulance can arrive with a defibrillator. So don't feel bad - CPR by definition is a last-ditch effort.

barnsey
9th June 2004, 10:35 AM
Hi All!

My Dad has got to a point where he can't see enough to continue turning so he is giving me his Nova 2000. That means I've got an MC900 from Hare & Forbes that is less than 12 months old that I would like to sell to a devotee. Cost me $550 with tools, chuck, faceplate, worm screw and a number of bowl turning tool rests made by him.

Make an offer - I'm on the Gold Coast - Tweed end and will organise and ship for you if you need it - at your cost. Been in transport most of my working life.