PDA

View Full Version : A Turn of events

new_guy90
17th March 2009, 10:20 AM
ok thought i would put this here since this is were i hang out most

im sure i posted somewhere about getting a job about a month ago well yesterday my first job was over :( an unfortunate trend in the engineering industry and it makes me wonder why they thought they could take on a new apprentice :? and im not surprised i lost my position all the other guys in the shop are going to doing it tough and it was the best way the company could try and keep there jobs. but anyway for the past few months i have been asking everywhere on this forum about things to buy and how i should go about making stuff for my shop thinking that i had plenty of time and money to make a do it all ......well yeah im not sure what im going to be doing now so ill save my money just in case there is something thats going to need it :(( anyway thanks to all you guys (and girls) who have helped me with my questions im going to keep it all in mind for next time (damn it i cant get a Vicmarc now :(() on th plus side i have more time at home for wood turning going to try and give it a spin latter today (or clean the shop:()

i hope what happened to me doesn't happen to any of you guys and ill look around at what i can do about money and starting that apprenticeship with out an employer (maybe i could start trying to sell my work :U if its good enough :(()

take it easy everyone things will pick up latter

Patrick

Ed Reiss
17th March 2009, 11:42 AM
Patrick, I would take you in as an apprentice during this bad ecotime...only your over there and I'm over here:C

Rum Pig
17th March 2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry to here about your job:~
I hope you find something soon:) but until then keep your chin up:2tsup: and think of all that free time to turn:U:U
If you have a local market you maybe able to sell bit and piece there eve if it just pays for your turning. just a thought

new_guy90
17th March 2009, 12:42 PM
im not to upset about loosing work im thinking of starting tafe and getting a casual job somewhere for a bit of money. i haven't got anything for the wood lathe since working so i think ill treat myself some small stuff like a proper finish, a pen starter kit or maybe a chuck but that would be a real splurge for me :((

spend it while you have it and while there is nothing stopping you :2tsup:......damn waited to long :((

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 12:47 PM
Patrick, do you have stuff to make some stuff on the lathe, even small stuff? Even if you can make some spinning tops (lord knows I can't) that would sell for $5 at the market - I have a free stall for three months - I'd be glad to split it with you. Anything hand made. It's about half way between the two of us as well.

PM me if you are interested.

I can give you some wood blanks - pen size blanks or a bit bigger, and I can lend you some chisels if you like.

Rum Pig
17th March 2009, 01:05 PM
nice one Eliza:2tsup:

aak
17th March 2009, 03:14 PM
Patrick, do you have stuff to make some stuff on the lathe, even small stuff? Even if you can make some spinning tops (lord knows I can't) that would sell for $5 at the market - I have a free stall for three months - I'd be glad to split it with you. Anything hand made. It's about half way between the two of us as well.

PM me if you are interested.

I can give you some wood blanks - pen size blanks or a bit bigger, and I can lend you some chisels if you like.

Very nice gesture Eliza! Real Oz spirit!:2tsup:

Bad luck about the job loss Patrick. Hopefully things will turn for the better soon.

Regards
Andy

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 04:25 PM
Good lord no. Nothing much at all. Stinks, losing a job - happening way too much these days.

Good luck finding another job. You need a job at a saw mill... ;)

Wayne Blanch
17th March 2009, 04:39 PM
Really sorry to hear about the job Patrick! Bummer:~

Nice one Eliza, well worth a greenie I reckon!:2tsup:

I don't know where you are in Qld but I am in Bay side Brisbane (Birkdale) and have some extra timber that you could have. It could be used to make some bowls for selling with Eliza if she is willing to take some larger items.
I have a couple of bits of Pink Bloodwood that comes up nice and would make bowls up to about 250 mm wide and some Jacaranda that would go up to maybe 300mm. There is also some other smaller bits and pieces that might help. If you are interested PM me and we can take it from there. The only condition would be that you would need to pick it up from my place. (My wife is disabled and getting away can be a bit of a problem for me.)
Another point - Donīt leave it too long or I may end up using the stuff myself:U

Keep ya chin up, bound to get better soon:U.

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 05:28 PM
Wayne, you are close to me - I'm at Norman park. I think you are close to me...

Patrick, if you want, I can pick up the wood from Wayne for you and bring it up. Let me know what else you need.

First market is on the 5th April, then it's fortnightly after that, for 3 months.

new_guy90
17th March 2009, 08:48 PM
thanks for the kind words gestures everyone but im sure there are more people worse off
than me anyway i have some avenues to look into so it doesnt look very bleak for me. on the plus side i cleaned up the work shop today and did made some chips :2tsup: looking around Caba-Tec have a tommy chuck for $100 doesn't look that bad and i need some proper finish so ill insist on parting with the money against my conservative side (it seems you never miss it when its spent on something good) as for timber well there is that Macadamia down in the shed and tis time ill defiantly go to wood turning this week end, ill get the rest of the timber from the bush tomorrow.

im doing fine right now there are still things i can do but i feel for the people from other companies, states and countries who are far worse off! well im just glad i could get into a place at when i did the experience has been well worth it and i defiantly want to be on the machines for my job :U

again thanks for the kind words its good to know that in these tough times there is always a helping hand :2tsup:

Patrick

joe greiner
18th March 2009, 12:43 AM
Getting the sack early in your career could be one of your best experiences ever. It teaches you that your employers don't give a rat's ring, and you need to provide your own security by saving and investing, without assurance of the gummint - that's another fiction/fantasy.

On my first layoff, I used my network of school chums, and found new employment before my severance was gone.

Explore every avenue available. And don't settle for anything less than you merit. Read the book, "The Millionaire Next Door," for some survival tips.

Cheers,
Joe

munruben
18th March 2009, 09:11 AM
Sorry to hear your news Patrick but like you say, there are lots of people worse off. Good luck for the future. Eliza , that was a very kind offer you make. The folk here are always willing to help when the chips are down. :2tsup: