PDA

View Full Version : turning blanks please

terry phillips
2nd June 2004, 08:36 PM
Hi all can someonr please tell me where i can buy some blanks i am new to this a need help please i live in se melbourne :D

ozwinner
2nd June 2004, 08:47 PM
Depends on what you are after, just to practice on, I would go to Bunnies/Mitre10, and get some pine or redgum.

Most timber yards have stuff that is bowed and they cant sell.
Just watch out for nails though.

Al :)

rsser
3rd June 2004, 10:35 PM
There are a number of places, and some do business over the Web, so do a google search Terry.

Rare Woods
The Woodsmith
Get Woodworking
... are some that come to mind.

My view is that you need good turning wood when you're starting out, so you don't get discouraged.

Good luck,

Ern

Cliff Rogers
4th June 2004, 01:10 AM
My view is that you need good turning wood when you're starting out, so you don't get discouraged. Good luck, Ern

G'day.

I second that, avoid the crap pine they make boxes & pallets out of 'cos it is too hard to get a good finish on while you are new to the game.

I also reckon that you shouldn't rush out & buy a $40 burl blank either 'cos that takes some skill to do it justice.

You need some deadpan boring grain stuff that works well & doesn't cost a fortune.

It's a bit hard for me to recommend stuff for you 'cos you are in Melb & I'm in Cairns.
If you were up here I say look for Poinciana, Jacaranda, Silky Oak, Mango or Lychee 'cos you get it out of some one's back yard for free.

Some of the Tassie timbers that I've tried that you should be able to get for a reasonable price are Celery Top Pine, Myrtle & plain (not black heart) Sasafras.
Avoid Blackwood 'cos it can cause health problems.

Maybe some of the turners down there can give you some more ideas.

John Saxton
7th June 2004, 08:42 PM
Terry,if you make contact with a woodturning group/club in your area you will find that the members often will help a new starter out with some blanks as well as some experience.
These club members often times have their fingers on the sources for timber.

Cheers :)