PDA

View Full Version : Mango Turning

Houston
18th March 2009, 12:22 PM
Last October, I visited Brisbane and Barnsey was extremely generous in taking me out to SE QLD Woodworking Supplies to pick up a few small turning blocks of Australian wood. I promised to send Barnsey pictures of the final product so I thought I'd share the first one with everyone. (Yes, October was a long time ago, but I have discovered that life gets in the way of turning!)

This was a small piece of mango - about 5" square by 1-1/4" thick. I didn't want to lose too much of it, so I glued on a walnut block on the bottom to grip while turning. I ended up leaving some of the walnut on as a foot.

Ed Reiss
18th March 2009, 12:31 PM
Nicely done Houston:2tsup:

Rum Pig
18th March 2009, 02:12 PM
Nice piece of mango:2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
18th March 2009, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of leaving some of the other wood as a foot! :)

It's a very nice bowl :)

Wayne Blanch
18th March 2009, 03:11 PM
Lovely bit of work and a nice bit of wood.:2tsup:

artme
18th March 2009, 03:29 PM
Goods tuphph Houston.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

barnsey
18th March 2009, 11:52 PM
Nice effort mate.

Glade to see you achieved a finished object - not just dust - great stuff.

Regards

Jamie

PS. That new workshop done yet?

Cliff Rogers
19th March 2009, 12:29 AM
I love good mango when it doesn't have blotches of sap mould in it.

Looks good. :2tsup:

Houston
19th March 2009, 11:38 AM
Goods tuphph Houston.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

OK - Barnsey tried to give me a lesson in Australian slang but I was not a good student. "Goods tuphph??" We have a Kiwi in the office that seems to speak your language, I may have to get him to translate!

Houston
19th March 2009, 11:46 AM
Nice effort mate.

PS. That new workshop done yet?

Not yet - I do have a rough design and a price from my builder. I've recovered from the shock, now I have to get some of the details worked out and wait in line for 6 months or so for my preferred building to be available.

Barnsey's reference is to the fact that Hurricane Ike sent a 20" diameter oak limb through the roof of my garage. Which is actually good, since now I have the excuse I need to knock down the garage and rebuild it as 2 stories with a wood shop on the top floor (I know that the ground floor is better for a shop,but I don't have that much space on my lot and didn't think putting the cars on the 2nd floor was a good idea!)

RETIRED
19th March 2009, 12:06 PM
Not yet - I do have a rough design and a price from my builder. I've recovered from the shock, now I have to get some of the details worked out and wait in line for 6 months or so for my preferred building to be available.

Barnsey's reference is to the fact that Hurricane Ike sent a 20" diameter oak limb through the roof of my garage. Which is actually good, since now I have the excuse I need to knock down the garage and rebuild it as 2 stories with a wood shop on the top floor (I know that the ground floor is better for a shop,but I don't have that much space on my lot and didn't think putting the cars on the 2nd floor was a good idea!)Leave them out altogether.:D

Houston
19th March 2009, 02:18 PM
Leave them out altogether.:D

Not a bad idea. During the hurricane, we put both cars into the garage to keep them safe. Well the tree went through the roof, busted the ceiling joists, and sent everything in the attic onto the car. That was $2000 US worth of damage that probably would not have happened if we just left the cars in the driveway. However, my wife still insists that her car goes in every night!

Cliff Rogers
19th March 2009, 02:43 PM
OK - Barnsey tried to give me a lesson in Australian slang but I was not a good student. "Goods tuphph??" We have a Kiwi in the office that seems to speak your language, I may have to get him to translate!

It means good stuff. :D