PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly bits...!

robutacion
19th March 2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

"Wobbly bits"!

About a month ago, and while going through a few green turnings (mainly olive), I decided to cut a small log I picked-up of green Silver Wattle, make 4 small blanks out of it and turn them to finished size, stabilize them and see what they would do. This timber was very wet and very green, so sending wasn't easy but after a little while I was putting them the 400 grit. Completely soaked them in Fungishield, giving the impression that the timber would stay still(ish). It did, quite surprisingly, without any signs of any kind of movement at all, for the first 5 days (inspected every day), then certainly, I've heard these loud "cracking" sounds from the shelve where I had them stored, but even before I got close enough to grab them, I could see that something did happen since the day before. Well, I've succeeded a few times before, with this type of timber green(ish), but not this time, 2 of them have a big smile (crack), the other 2 with smaller cracks but all 4 looking like they have been through a "distortion" machine:o
Left them there until today, when I decide to clear some of the stuff on those shelves and these 4 pieces were looking pretty "sad", and without a great deal of hesitation, I started wasting some time and some epoxy glue. Was only one (elephant foot type) that had enough meat for me to try to re-shape it (round it) but in no time I lost the top half of it, as it was suppose to be a vase with a nice wide "goose neck" on it!:no: . After that, I simple cut the excess epoxy from the cracks on the other pieces, give it a quick sand, one coat of Arganoil and a bit of a rub.
Took the pics just before sun down, outside on the top of a low shed roof, before I got them inside of the house and on a dedicated display shelf called, "the nature's work!"
Maybe in 50 year from now, they will be found and displayed as "deliberate art!:oo::doh::)"

Cheers
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
20th March 2009, 01:32 AM
About a month ago, and while going through a few green turnings (mainly olive), I decided to cut a small log I picked-up of green Silver Wattle, make 4 small blanks out Well, I've succeeded a few times before, with this type of timber green(ish), but not this time, 2 of them have a big smile (crack), the other 2 with smaller cracks but all 4 looking like they have been through a "distortion" machine:o

......ya' think ya' should have waited longer to let them air-dry ???:doh::):)

Well, they look pretty good RBTCO...like the way they warped !!:2tsup:

artme
20th March 2009, 07:37 AM
Lurve that display stand. :D:D:q I have one exactly the same.

Paul39
20th March 2009, 08:29 AM
Very nice figure and shapes.

They certainly moved around a bit.

Sometimes a piece is what it is, no matter what we would like it to be.

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 04:24 PM
Dali would be so proud!!! ;)

robutacion
21st March 2009, 02:00 AM
Dali would be so proud!!! ;)

Eliza,
Excuse me...!:o
Who is Dali?

Ed Reiss,

This is one of the few timbers (Silver Wattle) that I deliberately turn green and wet to a finished shape. I like to use the piece that joins the butt and the tree root, about 2' long max. I get the most unbelievable grain shapes, textures and colours. This is in part the reason why they move so much after turned, the unknown factor always is, it will it crack in the process or just wobble in shape and maintain its structure? some do, some don't...!

artme,
What's wrong with my display stand? the natural light was fading quickly and that was handy, light to carry and I was lucky that was no wind, otherwise...!:o:~

Paul39,
Exactly, and that is the reason why a like to do it just for my own satisfaction. You can, "traine/manipulate/ the green timber as you turn, that Is use commonly among lots of famous turners, and the final shapes can be absolutely mind blowing!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
21st March 2009, 07:51 AM
Dali :)

http://www.msdlists.com/surrealism/images/full%20size/Dali%20Persistence%20of%20Time.jpg

RETIRED
21st March 2009, 08:25 AM
Eliza,
Excuse me...!:o
Who is Dali?A very strange man in my opinion.

artme
21st March 2009, 08:59 AM
For God's sake don't post a pic.of "The Temptation of St. Anthony" Eliza. Might frightened a few people off eccentric type work. :d:d

NeilS
21st March 2009, 09:29 AM
Who is Dali?

Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marquis of Púbol (May 11, 1904 – January 23, 1989) was a Spanish Catalan surrealist painter born in Figueres... an Iberian...:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Dal%C3%AD

Neil

ElizaLeahy
21st March 2009, 10:09 AM
Here is one for the cabinet makers

http://www.latifm.com/salvador_dali/large_image/the_burning_giraffe.JPG

Anyway, you can see why I thought "Dali" when I saw the wobbly pots :)

Ed Reiss
21st March 2009, 12:54 PM
.......:omg: a burning giraffe !!!!!!

robutacion
21st March 2009, 11:36 PM
Anyway, you can see why I thought "Dali" when I saw the wobbly pots :)

Gees...! Eliza, you've got some strange friends!:o:D

Hahahahhah, I can't help myself on this one..., there is a "fundamental" (not considering the obvious ones...!) difference between Dali's work and mine, he made thinks crooked, I didn't, I made them straight, they were the ones to change that! talking about a timber with "attitude" and with a mind of their own...:oo::;

Just as I comment of your last pic of Dali, I reckon he had a mongrel of a life, or eat too much porky-pine meat when he was painting, that paint defeats the meaning of "being stabbed in the back!":D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
22nd March 2009, 10:56 AM
That's beautiful! The wood is like chocolate and vanilla swirl icecream.

hmmm, I must be hungry.

Yes, he was cripled, used a cane and it turned up a lot in his work. Considering the medical knowledge of his time he was probably in a lot of pain. Had weird ideas about women and sex as well. A big influence on my art. :)