PDA

View Full Version : "My shed is so small..."

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 04:26 PM
I can't believe it. I always thought this sort of thing was a joke.

I was sitting on the chair next to the table that takes up most of my shed (I mean most - like wall to wall) and I wanted the orange wax to polish something. I stood up - stepped out of the shed, turned around, stepped back in to look at the bookcase which had been behind me when I was facing the table.

Then I realised what I'd done.

My shed is so small that I have to step outside to turn around!

Rum Pig
20th March 2009, 04:38 PM
LOL:roflmao:

chrisb691
20th March 2009, 04:50 PM
:roflmao:

RETIRED
20th March 2009, 05:01 PM
My first shed was like that.

Had to turn verandah posts on fine days because half the lathe was outside, and if I needed to reverse them on the lathe had to take them outside to turn them around.

Don't talk about sheets of ply.:wink:

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 05:35 PM
My goodness - and look at you now! That's scary!

echnidna
20th March 2009, 05:49 PM
Would you like a pic of the tent I'm using as a workshop. :D

Btw my sawbench won't fit in the tent so it's under the willow tree with a tarp over it, so it can't be used if the weather is crummy. :cool:

When I get the confounded sawmill plans finished, I can return to doing something about a permanent shed. :U

new_guy90
20th March 2009, 06:25 PM
LOL:roflmao:

:wts:

Patrick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th March 2009, 06:33 PM
My goodness - and look at you now! That's scary!

Yeah... now each end of his lathe is in a seperate post-code!

Harry72
20th March 2009, 07:47 PM
And a 2 buckets of finish one at each end.:doh:

Pat
20th March 2009, 08:09 PM
Liz, it is just part of the code . . . the shed shall be too small, thus build a bigger one, which shall end up being to small again . . . ie the bigger the shed the more carp you fill it with:U

weisyboy
20th March 2009, 08:24 PM
my sheds are to small also.

RETIRED
20th March 2009, 10:10 PM

And a 2 buckets of finish one at each end.:doh:Yep. Sometimes I wish I had a travelator.:D

tea lady
20th March 2009, 10:14 PM
my sheds are to small also.
:rolleyes::p

tea lady
20th March 2009, 10:15 PM
Yep. Sometimes I wish I had a travelator.:D

All the exercise keeps you fit though doesn't it?:D

RETIRED
20th March 2009, 10:20 PM
Dunno 'bout that. Puter fixed?

eisbaer
21st March 2009, 12:48 AM
i just got that 4 yorkshiremen thing from monty python in my head... The bit where they're comparing how poor the conditions were in their youth...

"shed? Bloody luxury... We were lucky to have a corridor in which to do woodturning!" :)

Chippy3
21st March 2009, 01:15 AM
I can't believe it. I always thought this sort of thing was a joke.

I was sitting on the chair next to the table that takes up most of my shed (I mean most - like wall to wall) and I wanted the orange wax to polish something. I stood up - stepped out of the shed, turned around, stepped back in to look at the bookcase which had been behind me when I was facing the table.

Then I realised what I'd done.

My shed is small and full so i fall in grab a tool as i am falling get up and fall out

Doctor says i am the fittest 85 year old guy he has ever seen 'What pills do u want?'

Chippy3

Paul39
21st March 2009, 12:24 PM
It is not the size of the shed, the expense of the lathe, or the brand name of the tools that count.

Eliza does wonderful work with what she has, and continues to improve.

Big sheds, fine lathes, good chucks, expensive chisels, all make it more convenient but do not necessarily produce better work.

Ed Reiss
21st March 2009, 12:35 PM

...at least you have a shed, just think of all the poor kids in this world that have to go to bed each night shedless! :C

Old farmer
21st March 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks all for a wonderful thread. Each time I return to it I have more chuckles, am thankful for such a spirit.

Good upon you, Chippy. Whatever the pills they are working well!

ElizaLeahy
21st March 2009, 01:46 PM
i just got that 4 yorkshiremen thing from monty python in my head... The bit where they're comparing how poor the conditions were in their youth...

"shed? Bloody luxury... We were lucky to have a corridor in which to do woodturning!" :)

Corridor? That's a joke. My lathe is outside in a corner. :)

And I had to walk 20 miles to school, without shoes, in the snow (in Brisbane...)

weisyboy
21st March 2009, 02:56 PM
wait wile i get my violin.:U

againstthegrain
21st March 2009, 03:18 PM
... I had to walk 20 miles to school, without shoes, in the snow (in Brisbane...)

You forgot to add, "uphill both ways!" :D

eisbaer
21st March 2009, 04:49 PM
you were lucky to have shoes... We had to staple bits of leather to our feet, then walk 25 miles to work in a coal mine for tuppence a week... If we were lucky! :)

RETIRED
21st March 2009, 04:58 PM
you were lucky to have shoes... We had to staple bits of leather to our feet, then walk 25 miles to work in a coal mine for tuppence a week... If we were lucky! :)Ah!! The days of Joh. I remember them well.:wink:

Grumpy John
21st March 2009, 05:19 PM
you were lucky to have shoes... We had to staple bits of leather to our feet, then walk 25 miles to work in a coal mine for tuppence a week... If we were lucky! :)

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah. That's why I'm grumpy.

Harry72
21st March 2009, 07:15 PM
My shed is so small I cant quite do a Uturn in me ute... a 3 point turn works tho even in me 3t truck!:D

echnidna
21st March 2009, 07:42 PM
My heart bleeds for you Harry, must be the pits having such a small shed :p

eisbaer
21st March 2009, 08:01 PM
and if you try telling the young people of today that, they won't believe you... :)

thefixer
21st March 2009, 08:38 PM
and if you try telling the young people of today that, they won't believe you... :)

Ahm, age 26. Duh, you are the young people:D

Grumpy John
21st March 2009, 08:53 PM

No, they wont.

eisbaer
21st March 2009, 09:14 PM
or my profile could be cunningly deceptive... :) might have put the numbers around the wrong way... :)

tea lady
21st March 2009, 09:42 PM
Dunno 'bout that. Puter fixed?No!:-Still only begging Hubby for the use of his. :C

I got a bigger shed, but now more stuff seems to have got on the floor, so I still can't walk round.:doh:

weisyboy
21st March 2009, 09:44 PM
your shed willnever be big enough.

Sawdust Maker
21st March 2009, 09:51 PM
your shed willnever be big enough.

a truism
or a natural law of sheds

Mrs Woodpecker
21st March 2009, 09:53 PM
My "shed" is the double garage under the house. It houses, a car, a camper trailer, a lathe, dust extractor, drill press, 3 benches, a belt sander, a fan, a small table ( used to assemble pens on) a couple of boxes of small bits of wood and an air compressor. I have been promised a shed of my own when we move to Gympie.I know how you feel Eliza. Very squeezy.
Regards,
Shirley

Sawdust Maker
21st March 2009, 09:56 PM
My "shed" is the double garage under the house. It houses, a car, a camper trailer, a lathe, dust extractor, drill press, 3 benches, a belt sander, a fan, a small table ( used to assemble pens on) a couple of boxes of small bits of wood and an air compressor. I have been promised a shed of my own when we move to Gympie.I know how you feel Eliza. Very squeezy.
Regards,
Shirley

Move the car and camper out :D
after all there are priorities :~

Mrs Woodpecker
22nd March 2009, 06:55 PM
Move the car and camper out :D
after all there are priorities :~
I wish !!!!

skot
22nd March 2009, 10:01 PM
I was always worried about the size of my shed but my wife always said its not the size of the shed..it's the way you use it. They always say that.

I started getting emails like..."DO YOU WANT A BIGGER SHED".."MASSIVE SHED IN 3 MONTHS"...you know the ones.

Well we finally gave in and signed a contract, and we couldn't be more pleased. Have a look at the before and after shed sizes and you will agree about the massive increase in width & length.

When my wife saw the size of the new shed...she almost gagged.

weisyboy
22nd March 2009, 10:05 PM
looks like you moved inside to me:U

ElizaLeahy
22nd March 2009, 10:34 PM
WOW! I will have to respond to one of those ads next time I get one!!!

;)

ElizaLeahy
22nd March 2009, 10:36 PM
You forgot to add, "uphill both ways!" :D

A side story... When I was having my first child I was in hospital before hand with some complications. Anyway, having to get up to go wee every couple of hours wasn't giving me enough rest, so they put me on sleeping pills. Great - I still got up to go wee every two hours - but now it was uphill to the bathroom - and uphill on the way back!

Your comment reminded me. :)

That "baby" is now living in Dubai - where his rent is $7000 a month but that doesn't phase him because of his wage. I'm afraid to ask him what he is earning! And this is a kid that never went to college and only scraped through a second class high school!

*proud mum rant over*

ElizaLeahy
22nd March 2009, 10:38 PM
I was always worried about the size of my shed but my wife always said its not the size of the shed..it's the way you use it. They always say that.

I started getting emails like..."DO YOU WANT A BIGGER SHED".."MASSIVE SHED IN 3 MONTHS"...you know the ones.

Well we finally gave in and signed a contract, and we couldn't be more pleased. Have a look at the before and after shed sizes and you will agree about the massive increase in width & length.

When my wife saw the size of the new shed...she almost gagged.

that's bigger then my HOUSE!

Old farmer
23rd March 2009, 10:40 AM
*proud mum rant over*

No need to apologise, Eliza. All you good mothers are permitted a rant now and then.

Where would the world be without you?

TTIT
23rd March 2009, 11:07 AM
......... I have been promised a shed of my own when we move to Gympie...............Moving from Yeppoon to Gympie doesn't seem like an 'upgrade' to me Shirley??!!??!!??!! :?:?:?