PDA

View Full Version : Market advice?

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 05:58 PM
I don't know where to put this. So I'll put it here and ask the moderators to move it if they can think of a better place (not the round filing cabinet please!)

I've been offered a stall at a market - I think they are deperate.

I'm taking pendents, hair sticks, keyrings, pens (if any work out!) general stuffs made of wood.

I have little business cards, I'd like to have a tag on each one saying what the timber is and a little about where it is grown and it's history etc.

I can fit it on a card that is about business card size if it's 10 point. That's newspaper size print.

But it's pretty big to tie to a pendent - most of my pendents are smaller then that!

While it would be great to have it there, available, in their hands, would it be better to have just the name of the wood and they can go to the website for the rest of the information?

Pretend you don't know anything about wood. Or, pretend you do, but you have picked up something that you haven't seen before. Which would you prefer, the info there, or the info online?

DavidG
20th March 2009, 06:10 PM
Price and name of wood on a small tag.

Story behind the wood given in appropriate slow speak whilst nursing the piece and gently wiping with a cloth. :roll:

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 06:17 PM
In a sultry voice, while I slowly caress the timber?

Pity I'm over 45, overweight, and most of my clientel would be female!

heehee

Of course, they might not care about what sort of timber it is.

Gra
20th March 2009, 06:32 PM
Use the business card as a presentation card, so punch a hole in the card and tread the string (for a better word, whatever you are using to hang the pendants from) through the hole, so the pendant sits on the card and the "string" lays behind it (or hangs above if you are hanging them).

or find a young pretty female relative to wear a bikini and do the presentation:U:U

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 06:43 PM
And she can wash cars...

bsrlee
20th March 2009, 08:35 PM
Most sellers that I have seen, whether in galleries or in markets, just stick to a species or even just the 'common name'. Quite a few write it on the piece if there is room using India Ink.

If you think the timber information is a selling point, why not make an A4 (or smaller) handout with the species info. and a speil about the timber is obtained, how good you are, where to get more of the same from you etc.

A friend on mine assures me that the fake parchment paper that comes in large pads goes happily through a laser printer if you make sure that you remove all trace of the glue used to hold the pad together. You can get 2 A5 sheets by printing 2 to an A4 page, then cutting them up. If the customer doesn't want one then no pressure, but have some for the tire kickers too, perhaps on plain paper if they are not buying.

WoodJunky
20th March 2009, 09:20 PM
Of course, they might not care about what sort of timber it is. I think with the above comment you may have answered your own question.

As bsrlee mentioned that he has noticed a lot of sellers will just write the species name or even just the 'common name' whether it be on the piece or on a card and I have seen that as well, so most people will be happy with that.

if buyers are really interested in finding out more about the timber used they will probably ask you more about it and then if you have handouts with the species info prepared you can then hand it out.

bowl-basher
20th March 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know where to put this. So I'll put it here and ask the moderators to move it if they can think of a better place (not the round filing cabinet please!)

I've been offered a stall at a market - I think they are deperate.

I'm taking pendents, hair sticks, keyrings, pens (if any work out!) general stuffs made of wood.

I have little business cards, I'd like to have a tag on each one saying what the timber is and a little about where it is grown and it's history etc.

I can fit it on a card that is about business card size if it's 10 point. That's newspaper size print.

But it's pretty big to tie to a pendent - most of my pendents are smaller then that!

While it would be great to have it there, available, in their hands, would it be better to have just the name of the wood and they can go to the website for the rest of the information?

Pretend you don't know anything about wood. Or, pretend you do, but you have picked up something that you haven't seen before. Which would you prefer, the info there, or the info online?

Suggest that you look at some tea lights easy to turn and a winner on the market stall
Did you get my PM on the pen press???

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 09:48 PM
That tea light is very pretty!

Yes, thanks. I don't have the means to make it, it's interesting though. I was going to PM you later :)

ElizaLeahy
20th March 2009, 10:03 PM
If you think the timber information is a selling point, why not make an A4 (or smaller) handout with the species info. and a speil about the timber is obtained, how good you are, where to get more of the same from you etc.

Thank you - that's what I'll do :)