PDA

View Full Version : How was the turnfest?

ElizaLeahy
23rd March 2009, 07:13 AM
Come on, for those of us who couldn't go - tell us how it was!

Rum Pig
23rd March 2009, 08:52 AM
I think it is on next weekend??

ElizaLeahy
23rd March 2009, 09:44 AM
ohhh, well, in that case, I hope everyone has fun!

;)

dai sensei
23rd March 2009, 10:44 PM
Yep, this Fri/Sat/Sun. All packed ready to go :rolleyes:

switt775
24th March 2009, 09:28 AM
I think it is on next weekend??

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' the Queen remarked.

'What sort of things do YOU remember best?' Alice ventured to ask.
'Oh, things that happened the week after next,' the Queen replied in a careless tone. "

Through the Looking Glass, Chapter V

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 10:10 AM
That's right.

And you don't know how joyfull it makes me that I'm on a forum that can quote Alice in context :)

Little Festo
24th March 2009, 08:19 PM
All forum members that should catch up. What do you think??

Looks like I jagged being official photographer so I'll be the one running around with the camera (as almost always).

Peter

weisyboy
24th March 2009, 08:35 PM
what? did i miss sompthing?

INVENTOR
24th March 2009, 08:39 PM
I hope those who are going are taking along some of their work for the instant gallery. I for one, am looking forward to seeing what people are making.

Tony Morton
24th March 2009, 09:53 PM
Hi All
I'll be there and taking two pieces one a creation all my own and the other is the piece blank made by Marilyn Campbell last year I won it in the big raffle. Am interested in meeting other formites I know Peter "Little Festo" so if you see me say gooday.
Cheers Tony

dai sensei
24th March 2009, 09:56 PM
what? did i miss sompthing?

Turn-Fest 2009 at the Radisson Resort. Ring David Drescher at SEQ Woodworking Supplies for details, not sure if there are any spots left.

All forum members that should catch up. What do you think??

I only bought 1 Turn-Fest shirt, so the other days I will have on my Forum shirts :cool:, and hat :U

I hope those who are going are taking along some of their work for the instant gallery. I for one, am looking forward to seeing what people are making.

Yep, and I too am looking forward to seing the show and tell. Looking forward to the demos from the experts too :2tsup:

dai sensei
30th March 2009, 08:35 PM
see here (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=92737)

Little Festo
31st March 2009, 08:43 AM
All went well, caught up with forum members and had a good turnfest. Lots of good demos, chatted to the experts, got my moneys worth after my first chat to Niel Scoobie, solved a time consuming problem. Had some interesting talks with Robbie Graham (NZ), Brian McAvoy (Canada) and Glen Roberts.

Possible most enjoyed the Brian McAvoy deep hollowing demo with a boring bar, very good - must get one. Much easier than struggling with the Munroe tool.

The presenters were all very approachable. Food was good and presentation rooms were excellent with video cameras set up for close ups of work pieces etc..

Peter

Tony Morton
31st March 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Just as Petersaid a great weekend of woodturning great venue good food and a great line up of turners. I've often admired photos of some of their works but to see the pieces made by these noted crafts people is great but to be able to see the process and talking to them makes well worth the money. Meeting fellow turners from all over the country and the Ditch "NZ" and be able to see some of their work in the Instant Gallery makes for a great Weekend see you there next year with another great lineup of turners.

Cheers Tony

Little Festo
4th April 2009, 09:42 AM
Just a few photos.

1. Cindy Drozda from the USA. Turned some really nice small finial boxes. She was tiny, had to tippy toe to work on the lathe but did a great job.

2. Niel Scoobie from Coffs Harbour. Always good to watch and a very good communicator too.

3. Brian McAvoy from Canada. He used a 2 meter boring bar to hollow out the form. Here he's just blasted the inside with compressed air to remove the chips. He then does some really fine piercing and air brushing etc to embellish the forms.

4. Show and tell table with some attendee's and demonstrators pieces on display.

5. Group photo. DaSansi, WouldBeTurner, and tony Moreton are in there somewhere.

6. Glen Roberts with one of his hands on texturing demos. Picked up a few good tips here.

Peter

dai sensei
4th April 2009, 07:53 PM
Great photos Peter :2tsup:

Glen is the only person I know that uses pieces of Mallee burl and Coolabah burl for burning practice :o. But he did give away most of it to some of the lucky magpies hanging around after the show :rolleyes:

Little Festo
5th April 2009, 08:22 AM
Forgot to mention that Brian McAvoy had a light attached to his boring bar, hence the glow through the thin walled hoop pine he was turnong, quite thin. It allows him to judge the thickness.

Peter

WOODbTURNER
5th April 2009, 01:14 PM
The Darwin mob had another good Turn Fest at the Raddison Resort. Good to catch up with Little Festo and wife and other turners.
It was a great show with David's good hosting, pro turners, accomodation and food.
My pick of the demo's were Cindy Drozda (Tiny lady with loudest voice) and Brian McAvoy with his 2m x 40mm dia solid bar deep hollowing tool. Brian used it to turn hollow forms down to 1mm thickness. I think there will be a mad rush to find Hoop Pine as Brian was using it.
I have never won a Turn Fest charity raffle and was a bit p...off when I didn't win again this year. Anyhow I ran into Brian McAvoy after the show and bought the vase he was making in Little Festo's 3rd photo. It was a bargain price too! See photos
Don't miss out next year's show!!

http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/attach/jpg.gif

robbiebgraham
19th April 2009, 12:14 PM
Come on, for those of us who couldn't go - tell us how it was!

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and would like to ad my comments about Turn-fest.

It was a fantastic event, wonderful venue and food. It was great to catch with some of the demonstrators whom I had met over the years and to meet some new ones. David Drescher and a small group of helpers put on the event and I take my hat off to him for putting on such a large event.
I had an awesome time as I'm sure every one else did and hope to get back there some time in the future.:2tsup:

Little Festo
19th April 2009, 07:35 PM
Hello Robbie,

Photo I took. I made one of the boxes but it's a "bit different" to the one you did - Peter

robbiebgraham
19th April 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Peter,
Love to see a picture of the box. I have added an album and have posted a picture of a box I have just finished for a commission. Album is called Robbie's Turnings.
Cheers, Robbie