PDA

View Full Version : Some recent turnings

Grumpy John
24th March 2009, 10:44 AM
First off let me apologise for the quality of the photos, I am still coming to terms with the complexities of driving my camera in manual mode :-.
First off a potpourri bowl in blackwood, 105mm dia. 55mm high.
Second a Chinese elm bowl, 150mm dia. 55mm high.
Third another potpourri bowl in an as yet unidentified (help required here) timber, 130mm dia. and 50mm high.
Lastly a tea light in another unknown (more help please) timber, 105mm dia, 50mm high.
Comments and criticisms accepted in good spirit.

Woodwould
24th March 2009, 11:28 AM
Lovely work GJ! :thyel:

I'm afraid I can't help with identifying the timbers, but the Chinese Elm looks stunning.

Rum Pig
24th March 2009, 12:02 PM
I do not know the timbers but you have sure done a nice job with them:2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
24th March 2009, 01:04 PM
I do not know the timbers but you have sure done a nice job with them:2tsup:
What he said:aro-u::2tsup:

Gil Jones
24th March 2009, 01:17 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for sharing those neat looking turnings that you created.:2tsup:
As for digital cameras, I wish mine had a manual mode to work with. Just automatic, and that does no good for depth of field.
Cheers,

Grumpy John
24th March 2009, 01:23 PM
It has been suggested by someone far wiser than me :rolleyes: that perhaps I should have brought the base of the tea light in a bit to match the diameter of the tea light.

NeilS
24th March 2009, 02:06 PM
It has been suggest by someone far wiser than me :rolleyes: that perhaps I should have brought the base of the tea light in a bit to match the diameter of the tea light.

Yes, and even without the tea light bit the foot is a bit wide for the diameter of the 'bowl'. Otherwise, the shapes are shaping up nicely...:)

Neil

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 04:22 PM
Hey, with a tea light you can always rechuck it, the tealight bit makes a great place to put the chuck.

I like the Chinese Elm. We had a chinese elm in our yard when I was a kid. I didn't know the wood was so pretty!

efgee88
24th March 2009, 05:55 PM
Nice work, Grumpy

FrankG

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 06:49 PM
:whs:

It's all looking good.

If anything, I think I'd keep the tea-light foot the diameter it is and lower its' overall height.

Not for aesthetic reasons, but to bring the COG down even lower and making it more "untippable."

(We had a nasty house fire a while back 'cos someone knocked over a tea-light without noticing and ever since then I've been very, very aware of the safety aspects of candlesticks, etc. :-)

Grumpy John
24th March 2009, 07:34 PM
Skew, for the last 10 minutes I've been trying to get the tea light to tip over with no success. You make a very valid point though and definitely something that should be considered if someone were making these for sale at markets etc.

Ad de Crom
24th March 2009, 07:35 PM
Hi John, very nice work mate.
My eyes stucked to the tealights, very nice design.
Something for Eliza, but she saw it already.
Ad :2tsup:

Claw Hama
24th March 2009, 08:13 PM
Sweet GJ, all look great.

Sawdust Maker
24th March 2009, 09:56 PM
v v nice work :2tsup::2tsup:
sorry can't help with timber id :no:

dai sensei
24th March 2009, 10:00 PM
:whs:

Calm
24th March 2009, 10:05 PM
I like it

artme
24th March 2009, 10:59 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
24th March 2009, 11:53 PM
:2tsup:

I like the chinese elm one best. Prolly cos I'm not into potpouri or tea lights. (We'll prolly have a black out now.:doh: ) Also because I feel like cupping my hands around it.:)

masoth
25th March 2009, 12:39 AM
Beaut collection - I particularly like the tea-lights shape.

soth

Ed Reiss
25th March 2009, 01:06 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:...vurry' nice turnings GJ

Grumpy John
25th March 2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words :B.

I like the chinese elm one best......................
.............. Also because I feel like cupping my hands around it.:)

You're right Anne Maria, it is a very "tactile" piece.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th March 2009, 05:59 PM
Skew, for the last 10 minutes I've been trying to get the tea light to tip over with no success.

You make a very valid point though and definitely something that should be considered if someone were making these for sale at markets etc.

It's sad when I'm the one coming across with a safety message, eh? But it's one I learned the hard way, so I find it hard not to climb on the soapbox... :-

BernieP
25th March 2009, 06:25 PM
G'Day John

Very nice, thanks for sharing. If I had to choose would pick tea light, very smick!

Cheers
Bernie