PDA

View Full Version : Are reputation points worth it ?

Zed
5th June 2004, 08:17 AM
Hi,

There seems to be some aprehension / confusion re the use of rep points... what do you think ? are the good ? bad ? indifferent to them altogether ? should we lose members who sign off with a petulant "last post" ? or would the have spat the dummy anyway ?

for the record my opinion is its a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously, however i feel that the rep point allocation should be both tied to a user id so someone knows who is givin' lovin' and the comment field should be mandatory eg: "didnt like this post because you ratted bad mouthed ozito power tools"

what do ya reckon ?

bitingmidge
5th June 2004, 09:07 AM
A week ago I wrote:

I can hardly wait for the first batch of resignations brought about when all those negative points on the board add up, and the numbers of little green squares start to disappear though.

I think I'm going into the fortune telling business!!

Zed you are right...it's intended as a bit of fun...and can only be used in a nasty way if it's anonymous.

Either we adopt Rule 3 of the Ninja Code of Conduct (Never be anonymous), or we don't play!

Look, I've given this a lot of consideration, and I have decided that if people don't start to play fair....

I'm going to ....
STAY !!!!

Cheers,

P

Ben from Vic.
5th June 2004, 11:19 AM
I like them, and agree with the above posts. :D

Ben

Eastie
5th June 2004, 01:24 PM
See below. I recon you should always indicate who you are - even if it's a bad rap. If you don't you're either up to monkey business or you're a chicken :D
(all pun intended - not implying that silent or oz are giving out bluies or red smarties - if they were I'd have heaps :D)

Ben from Vic.
5th June 2004, 02:17 PM
Eastie, is that "SOS" under your name on the left?

ozwinner
5th June 2004, 02:39 PM
I dont care one way or another about lovin points, as long as I dont get a disease from them. :D

I can see how they could be taken the wrong way though. :( :(

Im going to have a word with the Victoria elPresidente Steve Bracks though.
I think they are putting something in the Victorian water, I think it is some sort of solution to get babies to stop sucking their dummys.
I meen, I spat it, Ken spat it, now Sturdee. All Victorians, very suspcious. :mad:

Cheers, Al

Ben from Vic.
5th June 2004, 02:46 PM
Blame the Greed cameras. :mad:

:eek:

"Warning, warning, Danger Will Robinson." http://www.ubeaut.biz/flamer.gif

Ben.

Bob Willson
5th June 2004, 02:48 PM
I am the only person (so far) who refused to be bracketed within the narrow confines of this poll.

Where is the 'Love 'em but hate 'em.' area.
Where is the 'All rep point allocations should be named' area. And what Zed sed too :D
Biting, won't you please reconsider your decision? How can we run a proper board if at least one heavy poster a day doesn't chuck a wobbly and throw in the towel? In fact, can we have some sort of a rotating roster so that we know when our turn is?

Wood Borer
5th June 2004, 03:35 PM
I think it is too soon to withdraw them.

If the long term effects are disasterous then perhaps we should dump them however I think we are still in the honeymoon period and like any new toy they are being thrashed. It is good that people like Sturdee have expressed their opinion about them openly and perhaps that is all it needs - people to use their allocation of RPs sensibly so as not to hurt helpful people.

Should you give your name when you give points? I have given my name or initials on some of them and the others I have given a comment. Making it compulsory to give your name would certainly keep the idiots in line but a sensible vote and comment is all that is needed if everyone giving votes takes it seriously.

I haven't given any negative votes yet but when and if I do the person will probably receive a public "raspberry" from me anyway so giving my name with the RP doesn't serve any purpose.

I wouldn't give a negative vote just because someone has a different opinion, but if they were being idiotic on a serious topic or getting on their soapbox without regard to the opinions of others then Wham

- Wood Borer

Grunt
5th June 2004, 05:15 PM
For me it's water off a dogs back.

Also, I looked at the poll results before I voted and I got to see who voted for what. Once voted, these are not visible. Pity.

ozwinner
5th June 2004, 05:23 PM
Also, I looked at the poll results before I voted and I got to see who voted for what. Once voted, these are not visible. Pity.

I thought it was just me?
I wasnt going to say anything, but now that youve mentioned it, how come we cant?

Al

ozwinner
5th June 2004, 06:08 PM
Also, I looked at the poll results before I voted and I got to see who voted for what. Once voted, these are not visible. Pity.Ok, a little dicky bird just told me that if you click on the underlined number in the post all will be revealed.
( sorry little dicky bird )

Al, freind of the little dicky bird

Grunt
5th June 2004, 06:19 PM
Ok, a little dicky bird just told me that if you click on the underlined number in the post all will be revealed.
( sorry little dicky bird ) Smart Bird

Bob Willson
5th June 2004, 07:03 PM
Do you know, or are you friends with, many little dickies Al? :D

craigb
6th June 2004, 12:06 AM
Because they seem to be responsible for an outbrack of preciousness I could say get rid of them. On the other hand, I think that in a couple of weeks time the novelty wiill have worn off and nobody will be arsed enough to give them out anyway.

In fact, I'm over it already. So no more points from me. (And I never gave a negative either).

Craig

bitingmidge
6th June 2004, 12:12 PM
I really wasn't going to respond any more on this topic, 'cos even I am tired of it. :rolleyes:

I am now in wierd position.....seems that if you discount the cheating moderators :D, I am king of the kids :rolleyes: ...ahead of even Mick..which I think just goes to prove the irrelevance of the little green buggers..Bullsht Beats Brains anyday! There's positive proof that they are not related to quality of posting...they are simply not correctly named...find another word for "Reputation" ...call them paint ball dots or approval points or something that isn't a reflection on one personal "reputation" because our "reputations" are what we all value. Maybe they are "entertainment" points?

They are simply a game, and have been a bit of fun. While you're on top they are even more fun, then you get bombarded with blueys and they are less fun again!!

I have said my bit on the negative posts, but had a post deleted overnight (GASP!!! - Should I spit the dummy or something? I'm a bit out of my league here!) No, I wasn't being crude, I just dared to post on Shane's "don't respond just vote" poll. (Fair enough! :D :D :D )

The gist of what I said was that the moderators/owners of the BB gave us these things without asking us. They can see from the comment on the various threads what the views of the regular posters are.

Only 1% of members have scored points anyway, if the poll has 100 votes, is that a representative portion of members? Or will the silent majority remain silent... I think so, because not enough care two hoots!

I won't vote on a yes or no poll because I think it is up to the guys who introduced it to make a universal decision... I won't be writing on this topic a month from now!!

Only question I have is IF (or more probably when?) they who must decide decide to remove the system, how will we ANONAMOUSLY give them the tick or cross that we have been so accustomed to over the last week...oh has it been that long...seems like a lifetime!!
:) :) :)

Off to sweep sawdust!

P

outback
6th June 2004, 12:37 PM
Jeez Louise, theyr'e just a bit of fun, call 'em rep points or popularity points who cares?
Wait till the novelty factor wears off, it will come down to the same old posters will post. The lurkers will lurk, the administartors will administrate, someone will chuck a wobbly, and we will find something else to occupy us.
There is constantly a thread, or some such which creates a bit of havoc, triton vs others, handtools vs powertools, banana benders vs cockroaches vs mexicans.
Lets face we're all a bunch of kids, having fun, it is in our nature to get stirred up over something trivial, this is just the flavour of the month.

Cliff Rogers
7th June 2004, 09:52 PM
G'day.

A forum is a forum.... if you've got something to say, spit it out or shut up.

I reckon that if you think some one else's opinion (post) is good or bad, it's fair enough to say so but do it in the forum where the subject of your rep/rap was posted & be prepared to explain your reasons for a negative response.

There is some merit in the 'management style' of only handing out reward points.
IE: You can give out a greenie but not a bluey.
That way, if you want to disagree with someone, you have to post it, you can't sneak around the back & bite their bum without them knowing who it was.

When I was in the Defence Force, about 20 years ago, there was no merit system, just a demerit system. Before you all jump up & say "but what about the promotion system," that's what I'm talking about. You had to do a certain amount of time & pass an exam to get a promotion. If you had a clean slate, IE no demerit points, you got promoted on time. The demerit points were handed out for mistakes. The drongos soon worked out that if you hid & never did anything, you couldn't make a mistake so you didn't get any demerit points. They let the brighter, smarter, faster, keener, troops do all the work so that if something went wrong, the troop that did the work copped the blame. Guess who got promoted faster? Sure there was the odd bright/smart/fast/keen one that didn't make any mistakes but guess what sort of a "Team" it built? It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys.

Can we cut the blueys & just keep the greenies & see what happens?
That way, if someone thinks a post is on the mark, a greenie is like saying "Yeah, what he said" & if they disagree they shut up & don't vote or they have to post a response to the post that they disagree with & if others want to side with the disagreeer (I just found a new use for triple-e) they can give them a greenie instead.

After all, there is always going to be a difference of opinion on some things & very often neither opinions are wrong, that’s why we can have the Blues verses the Maroons, the Liberal party verses the Labour party, Holden verses Ford, how flamin’ dull would it be otherwise? All you have to do is cheer, vote for or buy the one you reckon is right & if you disagree strongly enough, put it in writing. Don’t sit in the crowd & spit or paint graffiti on their signs or throw bl00dy great rocks on the racetrack ‘cos it’s not productive, constructive criticism.

No loosers, just winners, then we won't have any sore loosers.

Arhhh, that feels better, think I’ll have a beer now, what’ll it be? XXXX, Tooheys, or VB?

PS. I messed about with the promotion system, I wouldn't apply to sit for the promotion exam. When it can 'time' to promote me, they couldn't 'cos I hadn't done the exam. They had to make me "Acting" the next rank up. I'd get the pay rise but they didn't take the higher rank's DFRDB deductions so I actually got paid more in the hand than the higher ranking 'drongos'.

Thommo
7th June 2004, 10:18 PM
What else but a nice cold can of VB

Ps Cliff I will give you a green vote if u admit that VB is BESThttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cliff Rogers
7th June 2004, 11:57 PM
Ps Cliff I will give you a green vote if u admit that VB is BEST

Can you tell me if you've ever tried a Tooheys Old Black Ale?
If you have, what did you think?
I've had 6 tonight, I'm still trying to make up my mind...
I better have another one, just to be sure to be sure to be sure to be sure... ;)

Bug'a, I guess I don't get the greenie, you're not a cat lover too are you? :D

silentC
8th June 2004, 12:12 AM
Jeez, I dunno. You go away for 3 days and all hell breaks loose. Sturdee's lurking, Cliff's turned to the grog and my reputation is not just in tatters: it's gone!!

It reminds me a bit of a book I read when I was young that made a lot of sense to me at the time and rings true today. It's called "The Star-bellied Sneeches" by Doctor Seuss. Very wise man that Dr. Seuss.

I think far too much energy is being devoted to politics and we need to get back to the shed.

BTW I'm going to have to invent a new persona tomorrow. This 'chicken' thing has gone on for too long :p

Cliff Rogers
8th June 2004, 12:16 AM
BTW I'm going to have to invent a new persona tomorrow. This 'chicken' thing has gone on for too long :p

Do you like green eggs & ham?

John Saxton
8th June 2004, 12:20 AM
I'm with Cliff on the Toohey's Old Black Ale...good drop we even get it in W.A. which must take a few camel trains to get here. (but by then what the hell its matured by then) ;)
And Cliff I'll match you greenie for Greenie for :D every one sunk ...or should'nt that be a greenie for a blackie sunk.

Bottoms up!
Cheers :)

Cliff Rogers
8th June 2004, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=John Saxton]
And Cliff I'll match you greenie for Greenie for :D every one sunk ...or should'nt that be a greenie for a blackie sunk.
QUOTE]

Rep points are off, I've got a couple of green stubbie holders, does that count?

RETIRED
8th June 2004, 12:32 AM
OH NO!!! Not the chook.:D :D

outback
8th June 2004, 01:41 PM
snffle sniffle, the first time I get a reputation of which I do not need to be entirely ashamed, and it is ripped off me like a flimsy nightie on a wedding night.

Christopha
8th June 2004, 11:36 PM
What a load of bull about bugger-all! Who in their right mind gives a Tinkers what some dwarf hiding behind a keyboard in Upper Tashkent thinks of ya?? If that worries you AT ALL then you need a good sized spring clamp atttached to your cluster and then twisted mightily in an anti-clockwise direction! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Driver
8th June 2004, 11:39 PM
If that worries you AT ALL then you need a good sized spring clamp atttached to your cluster and then twisted mightily in an anti-clockwise direction! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After which treatment your cluster will definitely be a bit lacklustre. Which means you're going to need some . . . (All together now!) . . :D

John Saxton
9th June 2004, 12:52 AM
Ah Stoppers, thou hast spoke after such a prolonged interlude,methinks this Marg River red in thy midst behoves a jousting of much joyous nature.
tis but a pity thine eye's will not cast or feast upon it but fear not ...for tis my pleasure to regale thee with not the holy Grange but mere portions of said Southwest libationous nectar.alas not too soon but in a tyme wherefore the goodly Neil and fair maiden Pauline may also partake. :cool:

Mere thoughts in time will give way to the willing.

Cheers :)

seriph1
9th June 2004, 09:05 AM
My feelings/questions are:

I believe this forum is absolutely dedicated to helping all participants, keenly interested in matters, wood.

Does this system benefit someone (including the group overall) other than the individuals awarding/receiving them?

Is exploration of a member's historical participation (i.e.view all posts) all that's required for someone to determine the value of another's contribution? Do dots actually supplement that or offer useful data?

Anonymous and unexplained negatives are useless, unless their aim is to denigrate.

Behavioural issues/ disagreements can be dealt with in each thread by those affected by them or in private between the parties like any self-regulatory system. If that fails to produce a positive outcome, a moderator can be asked to assist.

Like most people here, I'm a pretty positive person and seek opportunities to help out and in turn, receive valuable insights and help. Anything that runs the risk of negatively affecting that is a no-no. I frankly enjoyed receiving a reply that expressed displeasure at my posting - it enabled me to clarify what I wrote and again realise that writing, as good as it is, is only a one-way piece of communication, and a hard medium to be subtle in - and I need all the help I can get in that area! Engagement in discussion and debate helps me grow in skill and as a person.

Arbitrary awarding of rep points ..... denies the exchange of viewpoint these forums exist for – and if it is all “just a bit of fun” which has been argued, the only way that many people who may have been offended by them could know, is through this exchange, not by anonymous, unexplained dots.

.002cents

outback
9th June 2004, 08:31 PM
If that worries you AT ALL then you need a good sized spring clamp atttached to your cluster and then twisted mightily in an anti-clockwise direction! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Two questions
1. Does this mean stopper is back?
2. if ya don't give a damn do we gotta twist clamp in clockwise direction?

DarrylF
9th June 2004, 09:17 PM
Trust Christopha to say it so well :D

Personally I think they do have a place. They fill the gap between not saying anything at all and posting in full. Used properly and tagged with the username I'm sure they'll be worthwhile.

And with the username shown I doubt most people will be too quick with the red ones :)