PDA

View Full Version : Help with stuck tail stock

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 04:18 PM
I was drilling some pen blanks using a jacobs chuck in the tail stock.

Soft wood, had only done one.

I had the tail stock locked into possition, and was winding the drill bit in. Needed to reset, so started to wind back.

Suddenly, it shot back into the tail stock very quickly, leaving the drill bit in the wood and the jacobs chuck spinning wildly by itself.

I turned the lathe off, got that bit sorted out. Then I looked at the tail stock. It would spin in place, but it would not wind itself in and out like it is suppose to.

First, I undid the grub screw and took off the handle. I tried to move it by hand, no luck. I got a wrench and tried to hold it in one hand and use the wrench as a handle, no luck. It's stuck.

Any suggestions? I hope?

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 04:40 PM
Have you undone the spindle lock?

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 04:44 PM
If I say "the what?" does that answer the question?

But I think so, if that's the thing that holds it in place when it's stuck in a piece of wood.

The center bit - the bit where you put the live center - is out completely - I took it out. I can put it back, but it will not SCREW in and out any more. It just sits there.

When I look down the barrel I can see a second tube - I gather that this is the bit that it runs up and down on when it screws in and out. But, it's stuck, and I don't know how to unstuck it.

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 04:45 PM
I think what happened is when it took off by itself and ran back into the tail stock it did so SOOOO fast and hard that it has gone too far and jammed. I have no idea why it suddenly took off like that. Maybe the grub nut was loose.

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 04:46 PM
Does the bit that you have out have a thread on it?

Calm
24th March 2009, 04:51 PM
Post a photo please - also what brand of lathe is it

That should give us something to go by.

Cheers

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 04:53 PM
That was my next bit.:D

Rum Pig
24th March 2009, 04:56 PM
If you can take some photos (preferably close ups) so you can show what you mean a bit better and the smart people like Robo could add arrows to the photo to help you understand what he is trying to say.
I'm no help so good luck:)

Rum Pig
24th March 2009, 04:57 PM
oh you bet me to

Dam must learn to type faster:~:U

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 05:19 PM
1. The bit inside the tail stock that just goes round and round without screwing in and out

2. Close up of the end

3. The end sticking out of the tail stock

4. showing you how the handle bit goes on with a grub nut in case you haven't realised where we are.

Calm
24th March 2009, 05:30 PM
Photo no 1 has a slot along the length - this is so the tube doesnt turn when you turn the handle.

So make sure the handle is tight and turning the shaft. Then make sure the peice with the slot - i think it is the outside bit - should not turn. Also make sure the handle bit is not going in and out.

I would think you will have a grubscrew or lock bolt/screw/thingy that goes in the slot and that is not in.

Try that.

Cheers

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 05:46 PM
If you go here you can download a manual.
http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=708376&cat=333132

RETIRED
24th March 2009, 05:47 PM
Photo no 1 has a slot along the length - this is so the tube doesnt turn when you turn the handle.

So make sure the handle is tight and turning the shaft. Then make sure the peice with the slot - i think it is the outside bit - should not turn. Also make sure the handle bit is not going in and out.

I would think you will have a grubscrew or lock bolt/screw/thingy that goes in the slot and that is not in.

Try that.

CheersMy guess too.

ElizaLeahy
24th March 2009, 06:00 PM
I fixed it!

The usual way I fix things. I very carefully, without panicing, bashed the living daylights out of it with a hammer :)

I figured "well, if it ran in THAT way to jam, I'll hit in the OTHER way", and it loosened it!

I love my hammer. :)

Calm
24th March 2009, 06:24 PM
enuf said

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th March 2009, 06:34 PM
I fixed it!
[...]
I love my hammer. :)

:D All's well that ends well!

[...]

That's where the end of the spindle-lock thread sits. It serves two functions: a spindle lock :rolleyes: and in lieu of a grub-screw to prevent the shaft from rolling.

If the spindle lock is unscrewed more than one or two turns when changing the tailstock depth, then it can disengage and... well... Elizah already found out the consequences. :doh:

Also, on mine the end of the thread was burred over, to make it difficult to deliberately unwind the thread too far. It may not have been burred enough to stop it from unwinding, but what's the bet that there's still enough of a burr to make it difficult to even start to rethread?

It's fixable. Just damned fiddly... :~ (Unless you have a big enough hammer handy, obviously! :p)

robutacion
24th March 2009, 11:16 PM
So... that's what the problem was...?:C

Thanks for letting me know Eliza, I will not let you near my gear without making sure to ain't got that hammer with you...!:o:no:

Imagine, what you could do with a sledge-hammer?:doh::D

"hammer" the new mother of necessity...!:wink:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
25th March 2009, 01:15 AM
...reminds me of that song "If I Had A Hammer":U

ElizaLeahy
25th March 2009, 12:10 PM
Sledge hammer, on my list of things to buy.

I'll make sure I bring it with me when I visit any forum members, in case they need a hand!

:p

Sawdust Maker
25th March 2009, 02:29 PM
Fixed by BBH
well done

Rum Pig
25th March 2009, 02:30 PM
When I was young I was told by an old chippe
The definition of a hammer is the closest thing to you:D