PDA

View Full Version : Ash mallet

Woodwould
26th March 2009, 06:34 PM
The purpose of this post is to showcase Common Ash rather than my endeavours at turning. Ash turns as nicely as any timber I have had experience of. It has tremendous shock absorbing properties and is an extremely elastic wood (traditionally used for tool handles and chair components).

If you've ever built twelve foot high hay ricks with a long, Ash-handled pitch fork, you'd appreciate its extraordinary properties when stacking the last few feet of the ricks (it bends and stores kinetic energy like a pole vaulter's pole).

On the lathe, I can only assimilate Ash to Swiss cheese (without the holes). Its figure belies its close grained nature and the ribbons that come off it are more akin to electrical tape than wood shavings.<o>

</o> I can understand why the early settlers gave some Australian timbers the same names as European timbers they were familiar with, but I could never understand why Vic Ash was so called; its properties couldn't be more distant from those of Common Ash. <o></o>

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/Ash_mallet_05.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/Ash_mallet_06.jpg
http://www.woodworkforums.com/%5BURL=http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/?action=view&current=Ash_mallet_05.jpg%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/th_Ash_mallet_05.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

mjmjm
26th March 2009, 06:44 PM
Looks nice.

Could someone tell me why mallets are round?
Seems to me they should be flat on the banging section.

Michael

Woodwould
26th March 2009, 06:51 PM
Carpenters' mallets are flat-faced and their handles are traditionally rectangular so the user can more accurately orientate the striking face (you should try using a flat-faced mallet with a round handle sometime!).

Carvers' and bench mallets are normally round as they're use is more refined than the heavy bashing a carpenters' mallet is put to.

gerryh
26th March 2009, 06:51 PM
Gerry back again. I wouldn't mind some of this ash if you got some reasonable pieces, but don't know how to get it to Kimba or Adelaide, if you got a way, by road transport maybe, then ,pretty please, Gerry Hofmann

artme
26th March 2009, 07:04 PM
So that's what happened to one of our former test cricketers?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Love the handle!!:oo::oo::oo:

Nice job BTW.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodwould
26th March 2009, 07:27 PM
Gerry back again. I wouldn't mind some of this ash if you got some reasonable pieces, but don't know how to get it to Kimba or Adelaide, if you got a way, by road transport maybe, then ,pretty please, Gerry Hofmann

I've got some off-cuts which I'm offering as pen blanks on another thread, but I need all the big stuff I've got.

springwater
26th March 2009, 08:20 PM
How many things have you got up that sleeve of yours Woodwould? All the things I've seen you make seem like you've done them many times before or else you have a good eye for replication.

It looks like it would be a pleasure to use compared to the eucalyptus flat wackers I came up with. Would the willow used to make cricket bats be good for mallets?

Nice nob on the handle:D

tea lady
26th March 2009, 10:40 PM
Hmm! I think I've got a few bits of that in my stash I've inherited. :cool:

Woodwould
26th March 2009, 10:48 PM
How many things have you got up that sleeve of yours Woodwould? All the things I've seen you make seem like you've done them many times before or else you have a good eye for replication.

It looks like it would be a pleasure to use compared to the eucalyptus flat wackers I came up with. Would the willow used to make cricket bats be good for mallets?

Nice nob on the handle:D

These days my sleeves feel like those of a straight jacket; my health and eyesight prevent me doing a lot of what I used to. Actually that's the third mallet I've turned. The first was made when I was nineteen and was immediately followed by another, turned from Yew, that actually worked. This Ash mallet is a copy of the latter.

The stylised acorn on the end of the handle adds a little to the balance of the tool as well as satisfying my penchant for the nut.

I doubt if Willow would make a good mallet. That may seem contradictory in light of the hammering Willow regularly receives at the hands of a batsman, but the cricket bat is a very ingeniously engineered tool.

The wood is undoubtedly resilient, but the springiness and shock absorbency of a cricket bat comes mainly from the laminated cane and rubber handle. Willow is also very light weight which in itself would make it unsuitable for mallet making.

tea lady
26th March 2009, 10:54 PM
:doh: Oh! An acorn! I knew i'd seen it somewhere before.:D

Ed Reiss
27th March 2009, 03:47 AM
Nice turning WW :2tsup::2tsup:

Wood Borer
27th March 2009, 06:11 AM
Nice looking Mallet WW. Your work always seems to set a high standard for the rest of us.

Years ago I also thought a round mallet would be difficult to use. I used a square one until a mate made me a round one out of blackwood and redgum.

I have used the round one ever since. I can't recall the last time I used the square one (must be 12 years or more). I use the round mallet to do lots of cabinet type woodwork and they work beatifully.

oldiephred
27th March 2009, 08:51 AM
Interesting, I have spent many hours on the end of an ash or hickory hay fork handle. Good memories now but not so much so then.
I believe carvers mallets are that shape to add weight, because the wood is not very heavy, and to eliminate the need to ensure that stiking surface is aligned with the chesil handle, otherwise it will twist when it strikes.
Ash is one of my favorites to turn for all the reasons you give and because it smells good.

Woodwould
27th March 2009, 09:11 AM
Ash is one of my favorites to turn for all the reasons you give and because it smells good.

Ash does have a unique smell. Have you ever steamed it? The smell really intensifies.

Ian Smith
27th March 2009, 09:21 AM

:roflmao: You're a wicked, wicked lady

new_guy90
27th March 2009, 06:34 PM
Ash does have a unique smell. Have you ever steamed it? The smell really intensifies.

first off nice mallet :2tsup: .....should try one of them one day :rolleyes:

i have some Ash i got with my lathe i didn't think much of it, it was old and dirty but recently tried turning some and boy did i love it!!!!!!!!! only problem was i kept having dig-ins just when i was nearly finished i think i tried making the part 3 or more times!!!!! ...........note to self sharpen tools!!!!!! the stock was really small but i made a tiny round box with finial i just wish i had a good finish to put on it instead of candle wax :( i also recently made a ring holder thing out of the ash and will be on the look out for more i love the stuff and dear i say it better than campha.

one question though is "silver ash" the same as "ash" or is it completely different (got some chunks of that i want to make into pens latter)

great thread thanks for showing :2tsup:

Patrick

andrey vm
27th March 2009, 08:00 PM
The purpose of this post is to showcase Common Ash rather than my endeavours at turning. Ash turns as nicely as any timber I have had experience of. It has tremendous shock absorbing properties and is an extremely elastic wood (traditionally used for tool handles and chair components).
http://www.woodworkforums.com/%5BURL=http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/?action=view&current=Ash_mallet_05.jpg%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/th_Ash_mallet_05.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

In Europe ash plenty of. He grows everywhere. The wood of ash price low.
I collect the branches of the ash, toppled hurricane,. Subsequently use for fabrication of the instrument. For handle of the hammer - the best:U
homemade handle have an advantage. Possible select the individual size for hand.:2tsup:
Much beautifully use transverse cuts of the ash for intarsia

springwater
27th March 2009, 08:12 PM
Замечательный сделать так Вас, чтобы присоединиться к нам Одри пожалуйста объявите(отправьте по почте) некоторые фильмы ваших молотков Пепла(Золы) для интереса(процента).

artme
27th March 2009, 08:28 PM
:roflmao: You're a wicked, wicked lady

Must learn to make my posts more subtle.:D:D:D

andrey vm
27th March 2009, 09:39 PM
Замечательный сделать так Вас, чтобы присоединиться к нам Одри пожалуйста объявите(отправьте по почте) некоторые фильмы ваших молотков Пепла(Золы) для интереса(процента).

Yes,shall do. The Photo hammer to me it is necessary to make. After fabrication photo come. There is homemade measuring instrument.
A message will be Through several days in guest to page on correct english ( will help сочинить my friend).
I shall very pleased be joined to your forum. This for me - a big joy!
While send the photo of my workshop. Here I work.
Thank you!

springwater
27th March 2009, 09:44 PM
I doubt if Willow would make a good mallet. That may seem contradictory in light of the hammering Willow regularly receives at the hands of a batsman, but the cricket bat is a very ingeniously engineered tool.

The wood is undoubtedly resilient, but the springiness and shock absorbency of a cricket bat comes mainly from the laminated cane and rubber handle. Willow is also very light weight which in itself would make it unsuitable for mallet making.

Firstly, but is anyone else experiencing strange going on with this thread like things appearing and disappearing :cool:mmmTL:cool::rolleyes:

At least things aren't turning different colours, as yet! :oo:

Secondly, thanks Woodwould for clarifying why cricket bat willow isn't good for mallets, how dumb am I not taking into account its lack of weight, I was only thinking of its shock absorption quality :doh: let alone the ingenuity of the cricket bat handle. Have you any knowledge of why the splice join that connects the bat to the handle is so effective or am I getting too off track from the initial purpose of this thread, yes, sorry, just curious:rolleyes:

I think I'll go now:-

springwater
27th March 2009, 10:01 PM
Good on you Andrey, I think your English is better than my Russian, just trying to make you feel welcome, good Australian tradition. Do you put an acorn knob on the end of your mallet handles?
Ваш магазин работы похож на хорошее место, чтобы потерять время в.
(Your work shop looks like a good place to lose time in)
So where do you hide the vodka?

tea lady
27th March 2009, 10:05 PM
Must learn to make my posts more subtle.:D:D:D You didn't see the one that got deleated. :rolleyes:

Firstly, but is anyone else experiencing strange going on with this thread like things appearing and disappearing :cool:mmmTL:cool::rolleyes: Twasn't me.Strange things happening before I did anything.:p

Ash is quite white isn't it. So what was the finish you used?:)

andrey vm
27th March 2009, 10:35 PM
Good on you Andrey, I think your English is better than my Russian, just trying to make you feel welcome, good Australian tradition. Do you put an acorn knob on the end of your mallet handles?
Ваш магазин работы похож на хорошее место, чтобы потерять время в.
(Your work shop looks like a good place to lose time in)
So where do you hide the vodka?
Thank you!

I like my home workshop.She is located in wood. There good air!:D:)
Vodka to drink not all russian.:B I like the beer and sweet wine on dinner.:p:2tsup: The Traditions - well very good!:U:2tsup:

springwater
27th March 2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you!

I like my home workshop.She is located in wood. There good air!:D:)
Vodka to drink not all russian.:B I like the beer and sweet wine on dinner.:p:2tsup: The Traditions - well very good!:U:2tsup:

You're workshop is female? We like beer on our cornflakes:D

tea lady
27th March 2009, 10:45 PM
You're workshop is female? We like beer on our cornflakes:D

Corse. All workshops and ships are female! That's why you can't find your tools if you don't treat her right.:D

springwater
27th March 2009, 10:49 PM
Corse. All workshops and ships are female! That's why you can't find your tools if you don't treat her right.:D

noop, not a chance:shutup1:

RETIRED
27th March 2009, 10:54 PM
Firstly, but is anyone else experiencing strange going on with this thread like things appearing and disappearing :cool:mmmTL:cool::rolleyes:

At least things aren't turning different colours, as yet! :oo:

Secondly, thanks Woodwould for clarifying why cricket bat willow isn't good for mallets, how dumb am I not taking into account its lack of weight, I was only thinking of its shock absorption quality :doh: let alone the ingenuity of the cricket bat handle. Have you any knowledge of why the splice join that connects the bat to the handle is so effective or am I getting too off track from the initial purpose of this thread, yes, sorry, just curious:rolleyes:

I think I'll go now:-It was a bit of code in a cut and paste post from Word. Fixed now we hope.

tea lady
27th March 2009, 10:56 PM
It was a bit of code in a cut and paste post from Word. Fixed now we hope.
Ah! Mystery solved.:cool:

Woodwould
27th March 2009, 11:17 PM
Have you any knowledge of why the splice join that connects the bat to the handle is so effective...

I believe the V on the handle isn't an exact match for the V in the bat - it's slightly splayed so when it's hammered home, it wedges itself in there, but yet doesn't split the bat. Quite a skill involved in bat-making.

Woodwould
27th March 2009, 11:20 PM
Ash is quite white isn't it. So what was the finish you used?:)
Ash is very pale. There's no 'finish' on the mallet, that' is straight from the gouge and skew and then I just burnished it with a handful of the shavings. I will give it a lick of oil, otherwise it will get grubby looking very quickly.

ficfac
27th March 2009, 11:21 PM

hee hee. Very knobby knob. I thought I was the only one seeing things...:-

Nice Job! looks like a good user with years of delicate whacking ahead.

How's the stability of ash? Would it be suitable for a panel eg door, box lid etc?

Cheers!

p.s. Welcome to the forum Andrey! Good to have people on board from so far away. Nice shed!

Woodwould
27th March 2009, 11:36 PM
How's the stability of ash? Would it be suitable for a panel eg door, box lid etc?

Ash is funny stuff; it's commonly used for chair parts and tables etc. for which it is excellent, but is seldom seen in case furniture as it can behave rather odly. It's regarded as a fairly stable timber, but after years of service (sometimes hundreds of years), it can sometimes take a notion and twist like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't risk even a floating door panel in Ash.

ficfac
28th March 2009, 12:54 AM
cheers :). oh and by the way wood would what?...:D

dr4g0nfly
28th March 2009, 07:31 AM
You know,
I sit here in the UK and look at all the wonderful woods you guys and gals have got down there and the pictures of what you've made from them, wishing I had access to some of it and there you are wanting wood I think of a common and unattractive.
Oh well... something about grass being greener springs to mind.

ElizaLeahy
28th March 2009, 09:08 AM
I keep coming back and looking at it - it gets more pretty every time. Is that the wrong thing to say about a mallet?

Woodwould
28th March 2009, 09:17 AM
I keep coming back and looking at it - it gets more pretty every time. Is that the wrong thing to say about a mallet?

Mallet? No. Handle? Seemingly, yes!

andrey vm
31st March 2009, 08:04 AM

If you've ever built twelve foot high hay ricks with a long, Ash-handled pitch fork, you'd appreciate its extraordinary properties when stacking the last few feet of the ricks (it bends and stores kinetic energy like a pole vaulter's pole).

Hi everyone!:):B
During week-end has made photos of my self-made (homemade) tools of an ash-tree (wood) branches. I have a mallet ( hammer) in the form of a trapeze for good
directions (distribution) of blow in parallel the earth. Head of hammer is made of an ash-tree branch. Handle is made from oak. At first a branch to planing dry (seasoning). Subsequently I plane an electric plane and other tools for reception baulk. From baulks I do the tool. The ash-tree wood can be combined with others a wood for appearance and aesthetics. I stick together it about a walnut, an oak, a birch. Ash well resists blow. The hammer weight can be increased if to place inside lead fractions (bullet). I stick together the tool very reliable glue KLEIBERIT PU501. Water resistance D4.
An ash-tree very elastic. My axe for to chop firewood has the handle from an ash-tree. At blow fingers feel blow a ricochet less.
In a surface gauge measuring sticks from an ash-tree. The body tool from a walnut. I too do handles of chisels of an ash-tree.
In a self-made(homemade) plane the overlay is made of an ash-tree on a platform and the handle. Birch is used for body
In Moscow the prices for an ash wood the such.
1 cubic metre of timber - 1000 - 1500 $USA
Ash veneers(0,6mm) square metre - 1 - 2 $ USA (in accordance with sort and quality)
Ash branches - 0 $:U:2tsup:
Beside us sprout ash two types - european and asiatic. European is light. Asiatic is dark.
I have made the instruments 10 years back. They presently good-conditioned. :2tsup:The Fabrication of the homemade instruments - a big pleasure.:D:):U

Woodwould
31st March 2009, 08:56 AM
Nice work Andrey. I read that you glued the handle to your mallet. I made a hammer-shaped mallet out of Ash too, but in stead of gluing the handle into the head, I simply dry-fitted it with a fox wedge. If the timber ever shrinks (which is highly likely being shut inside a tin shed in 40+ degree Australian summer days), then a quick tap on the bench will instantly re-tighten the head.

andrey vm
31st March 2009, 09:21 AM
Carpenters' mallets are flat-faced and their handles are traditionally rectangular so the user can more accurately orientate the striking face (you should try using a flat-faced mallet with a round handle sometime!).

Carvers' and bench mallets are normally round as they're use is more refined than the heavy bashing a carpenters' mallet is put to.

Your round мallet looks aesthetics much. In work I such did not use.
Incomprehensibly comfortable this or uncomfortably for blow.
The Acorn on handle - an artistic discovery.:U:2tsup: I this shall be able to use for handle.:D

andrey vm
31st March 2009, 09:46 AM
Nice work Andrey. I read that you glued the handle to your mallet. I made a hammer-shaped mallet out of Ash too, but in stead of gluing the handle into the head, I simply dry fitted it with a fox wedge. If the timber ever shrinks (which is highly likely being shut inside a tin shed in 40+ degree Australian summer days), then a quick tap on the bench will instantly re-tighten the head.

First I have done the head of the mallet on wedge, as in Your work. But in north climate of the change to moisture greater. Handle has weakened in year.:~ Hereon I have intensified the wedge and has added in addition glue for insurance. PU501 enlarges when splicing and is adapted to moisture miscellaneous. Thenceforward all well.:2tsup:

andrey vm
31st March 2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry please for my insufficient english:):B:B:B

RETIRED
31st March 2009, 11:59 AM
You "speak" better English than some Australians do.:D

Woodwould
31st March 2009, 03:27 PM
I meant to attach a picture of the actual mallet as well.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Misc/Ash_mallet_07.jpg

Andrey, as said, your English is more comprehendable than some members'.

springwater
31st March 2009, 08:27 PM
Ash is funny stuff; it's commonly used for chair parts and tables etc. for which it is excellent, but is seldom seen in case furniture as it can behave rather odly. It's regarded as a fairly stable timber, but after years of service (sometimes hundreds of years), it can sometimes take a notion and twist like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't risk even a floating door panel in Ash.

That's intruiging Woodwould, I wonder what sets off it's "notion". Does it finally give up the ghost and unravel it's stored tension by some chain reaction process? Is it the earths magnetic field shifting. Planet alignment? Hundreds of years is a long time to for it to think about transforming its shape, I think to much. :-

Woodwould
31st March 2009, 11:14 PM
That's intruiging Woodwould, I wonder what sets off it's "notion". Does it finally give up the ghost and unravel it's stored tension by some chain reaction process? Is it the earths magnetic field shifting. Planet alignment? Hundreds of years is a long time to for it to think about transforming its shape, I think to much. :-

I wish I could say it was due to exposure to greater/lesser humidity or central heating or summer sun through a window, but it apparently doesn't take much.

It's a known problem with Ash and the canny old British craftsmen were wise to it. One only rarely sees a large supported (full framed) table top in Ash and never an unsupported Ash table top such as a breakfast table or tilt top table.

The only time one realy sees Ash put to use other than for chairs and stools is in the cricket tables so popular in eighteenth and nineteenth century taverns. They're always curled up, but being three-legged tables, it doesn't really matter if the top twists and raises one leg as a three-legged table will always stand firm. Tavern tables were roughly treated, daily slopped with ale and cleansed with bleach and water, so they never really stood much of a chance.

I knew a really old Ash table that was moved from one room to an adjoining one and the thing was all over the place within a week. I'll be making an Ash table for our home soon and I fully expect it to go a bit awry, but when and why is anyone's guess.

Ash is still a popular furniture timber in Britain and Europe, but I suspect the plantation grown timber and the kiln drying (steaming? - I know steamed Ash chair parts don't seem to move in time) process makes the timber more favourable for larger projects. Again, time will tell.

springwater
1st April 2009, 08:59 PM
Ah I understand, change and effect, like draught up one's kilt?

ralphtaff
2nd April 2009, 02:02 PM
Andrey, Here i am in america and it is a pleaure to read what you write and to understand what you say with out having to think about what word is used as to the way we do here and it can be confusing, this english language.if any body thinks you do not write the right way they are wrong,because i understand better what you have to say then what other people write down.
The mallet is great and i learned a lot from all of the posts. At first i did not want to read the post as i am not interested in a mallet but after reading it i guess a person should not judge the book by the title or the cover. Very good information it that post about wood and that wedge at the end of the mallet.

tea lady
2nd August 2011, 06:25 PM
So what do your mallets look like now after 2ish years of service? :U

Woodwould
2nd August 2011, 06:46 PM
The mallet is as fresh as a daisy. It lives on the RH back corner of the bench and is a little bit grubbier, but still doing sterling work.

tea lady
2nd August 2011, 07:11 PM
The mallet is as fresh as a daisy. It lives on the RH back corner of the bench and is a little bit grubbier, but still doing sterling work.Even a fter hitting the blunt end of a chisel many times? :D Would actually be really interested in seeing how it has worn. :cool:

Woodwould
2nd August 2011, 07:23 PM
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. I may need reminding.

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2011, 07:40 PM
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. I may need reminding.
Don't forget to take a picture tomorrow. :D

Woodwould
2nd August 2011, 07:47 PM
Don't forget to take a picture tomorrow. :D
What of?

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2011, 07:57 PM
Tomorrow. :p

bellyup
2nd August 2011, 08:03 PM
All this talk about cricket and willow - wasn't there a famous Aussie cricketer called Ash ley Mallet? :D

Woodwould
3rd August 2011, 05:10 PM
Did I ever tell you about this ash mallet I made a few years ago?

tea lady
3rd August 2011, 07:07 PM
:pi: Cool! Hardly looks like its hit anything! Think I need to find some ash to make my friend's mallet with! :U

Blue-deviled
5th August 2011, 10:40 PM
I believe the V on the handle isn't an exact match for the V in the bat - it's slightly splayed so when it's hammered home, it wedges itself in there, but yet doesn't split the bat. Quite a skill involved in bat-making.

And often little shown in the weilding of it...

Blue-deviled
5th August 2011, 10:44 PM

Will there be a photo of it tomorrow?

I did like the other one too - a spot of shed croquet can be quite the thing when clearing the bench.

Paul39
6th August 2011, 12:41 PM

Nice mallet that has aged beautifully.