PDA

View Full Version : lathe treadle powered

Calm
27th March 2009, 09:19 PM
Here (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Rural-Machinery/Machinery/Tools-Workshop-Equipment/AdNumber=TP001832528?BackToResult=true) is something for the hobbyist - not sure if its metal or wood but could probably be used for both.

Cheers

tea lady
27th March 2009, 10:43 PM
$1400?:oo: "twas made in 1887 I guess, but geeze!:doh:

bluegum30
28th March 2009, 04:38 AM
in the slide show there is a chair with a red cloth covering it does it go with it for r and r ''rest and more rest '' oh my aching legs.:oo: Lloyd:D

hughie
28th March 2009, 07:48 AM
Hmm all in all its in not bad condition, defintely I would say its a metal turning lathe although it would be a painfully slow process viewing it from the 21st century. :U

With a good refurbishment it would probably increase in value, a good project for some body with time on thier hands.

Calm
28th March 2009, 08:38 AM
Therre is a set of change gears it says - couldnt you just treadle faster/slower??

Someone out there must have more knowledge about it - How long have you been around ? :q:U (as he slinks away from the axe)

Maybe it belongs in a different section?

Bloody yanks reckon they know everything, where is their answers/2c worth?:D:D

Cheers

Paul39
28th March 2009, 08:54 AM
It is a metal turning lathe. Can also be used for wood turning.

Change gears are for making the carriage move down the bed at different rates to cut different pitch threads.

When that was made not everyone had electric motors and electricity.

Water power and a steam engine with line shafts were also inconvenient for small shops and tinkerers.

I think the price is a bit optimistic.

"Bloody Yank" who is still learning.

artme
28th March 2009, 10:29 AM
That is one gorgeous old machine!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Better built than some modern stuphph I've seen.

Paul39
28th March 2009, 11:17 AM
The lathe sold for $75.00 in 1912. That is about $1600 in 2009 money.

Inflation calculator: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

PDF of 1912 catalog here:

http://ia341011.us.archive.org/1/items/barneslathes00barn/barneslathes00barn.pdf

hughie
28th March 2009, 11:33 AM
good one Paul. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
28th March 2009, 11:46 AM
Bloody yanks reckon they know everything, where is their answers/2c worth?:D:D

Cheers

....relaxin' at home with a couple of cold ones not really caring about machinery from the stone age:q:U:U:U

Sawdust Maker
28th March 2009, 12:52 PM
do they have the manual? :D

bowl-basher
28th March 2009, 05:11 PM
do they have the manual? :D
YEA chipped in stone

Malcolm Eaton
29th March 2009, 01:45 AM
My father had built a wood lathe powered by treadle power way back prior to WW2, and he used it well up to late 50ies, I would use it and infact taught my self how to turn wood on it. The operation of the lathe was through a fly wheel made from a rear bike wheel with a free wheel sprocket counter weighted , with a bike chain and a return spring and then by belt drive to a series of pulleys. The lathe bed , head stock block, the tail stock block were all made of timber, even the pulleys were turned from timber. Its operation was like peddling a bike with the back wheel jacked up so once you wound it up you were able to build up the revolutions. I was able to turn up bowels say up to 150mm diam with out much trouble though if you happened to work on a piece of realy wild grain and the chisel dug in it realy stopped you in your " track":o.
I still have a number of the turning chisels he used even though they have been slightly reduced in lenght by sharpening over the years.
For all of us to do our bit for globel warming lets all get back to the basics, peddle power , to hell with the oil and coal industry.:D
By the way my present lathe I use is home made but is driven by electric power, the bed is made from machined 100 x 50 Channel iron with the legs made from angle iron in a frame form, the had stock is made from a Morris 10 diff, the tail stock was machined up from 25mm flat bar etc, the mandrel was turned up from about a ex 50mm diam rod and has been threaded to take 25mm water pipe and drilled to take morse tapper. The water pipe thread allows to use 25mm threaded flanges ex the plumbing trade. The tool rest has been welded up from bits and pieces. I am able to turn up to excess of 300 diam and with a bit of ingenuity up to over 350 diam. In the past I have turned up a number of wooden steering wheels for power boats, all out of jarrah and even rebuilt the steering wheel to my daughters classic Fiat X 19 sports car with a polished jarrah surround.:2tsup:
Regards
Mac

Paul39
29th March 2009, 03:52 AM
Malcolm,

I would like to see some photos of your lathe.

Sawdust Maker
29th March 2009, 08:09 PM
Malcolm,

I would like to see some photos of your lathe.

me too :U

tea lady
29th March 2009, 10:04 PM
me too :UMe three.:cool:

hughie
29th March 2009, 10:37 PM
pics of a home made lathe, count me in as well. :U But treadleys, nah, not my style, I am to wedded to more recent technology.