PDA

View Full Version : Trading post

new_guy90
29th March 2009, 05:04 PM
hey everyone i have been looking in the trading post and want some advice

theres a 14" woodfast bandsaw in there for $200 can anyone recommend this band saw looking on woodfasts site its going to be old should i bother when for another $200 i can get a new one? oh and he said it was in need of repair that doesnt bother me it seems restoring tools is becoming a hobby of mine :D

theres also a Ryobi 100mm bandsaw, should be good for small use. and a250mm bandsaw labeled GHF cant find anything on this one and think its a typo but its really cheap

also there are a few wood lathes like an MC900, Symtec, 2 wood lathes with a model name of MC45 and one lathe supposidly made by a company called "millerfalls" any info on this "millerfalls" lathe would be good as i cant find any info on the net about it (ok i want a new lathe and not an MC900)

again any info on the woodfast bandsaw or the Millerfalls wood lathe would be most appreciated thank you

Patrick

RETIRED
29th March 2009, 05:15 PM
Millers Falls.
http://oldtoolheaven.com/

new_guy90
29th March 2009, 05:23 PM

just realized theres no phone no. to contact the woodfast bandsaw's owner :(( will look into that millerfalls wood lathe

Patrick

RETIRED
29th March 2009, 05:37 PM
I couldn't find a lathe there but I only glanced through it.

new_guy90
29th March 2009, 05:59 PM
could not find even find a reference to a lathe on that site its all hand tools. gave the owner a call and it sounds like one of those pressed steel and box section lathes from china. owell ill give the paper a call tomorrow to try and get that other no. for the woodfast bandsaw and call the other guy with the 250mm bandsaw.

thanks for your help

Patrick

Edit: just looked on Ebay and there is a small myford bandsaw!!!!!!!!!! oh i wish i was in Vic it looks so lovely and it is very cheap!!! oh but it would cost so much to get up here :(

joe greiner
29th March 2009, 09:24 PM
Computer and Internet searches are very nit-picky about spelling. Here's a website for Old Woodworking Machines: http://www.owwm.com/ Members upload pictures, catalog pages, manuals, and such. Millers Falls Co. is one of the listed manufacturers.

Cheers,
Joe

NeilS
30th March 2009, 10:33 AM
theres a 14" woodfast bandsaw in there for $200 can anyone recommend this band saw looking on woodfasts site its going to be old should i bother when for another $200 i can get a new one? oh and he said it was in need of repair that doesnt bother me it seems restoring tools is becoming a hobby of mine :D

Hi Patrick - communicate with Ern (rssr) about Woodfast bandsaws. I understand that he is not impressed with his.

Neil

bobsreturn2003
30th March 2009, 10:38 AM
millers falls are chinese tools . at your risk . cheers bob

petersemple
30th March 2009, 11:01 AM
I have a Miller's Falls bandsaw that is the same as all the other cheap chinese 14" bandsaws around (e.g Carba Tec, Hare and Forbes). It's OK for what I need. I did have to replace the motor, but I bought it second hand for $100 and then got a few years before the motor died. I took that opportunity to put a more powerful motor in too.

Peter

new_guy90
30th March 2009, 06:36 PM
millers falls are chinese tools . at your risk . cheers bob

yeah gave the owner a call and i think its one of those pressed steel ones people make into disc sanders .........just i dont need a disc sander :D

got the No. for the owner of the wood fast bandsaw but it was sold this morning but called the other guy with the 10" bandsaw and am going to see him on Friday, not sure of model but he said it would be about 10 years old but only used once. hopefully this one will be good or ill think about a new one.

thanks for the help :2tsup:

Patrick

Edit: ill ask here what i have asked on the "Bandsaw" forum....... got no responses to that thread :(

what should i look for when viewing a secondhand bandsaw? is there anything that will give away a bad model? is there anything i should know about buying a bandsaw?

thanks for your help guys