PDA

View Full Version : What is left out of a "decent" blank!

robutacion
31st March 2009, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone,

As the title indicates, I've stuffed-up this 12" x 4" 1/2 she/bull-oak blank, the only large(ish) piece I manage to salvage from this dead tree, all other logs were smaller (1/4 of the diameter size), and the ones that I have been sending (half split log 6"x 6"x 4"approx.) in the bags of pen blanks (one only per bag).

I knew what I wanted to do with this blank, utilizing the outer skin (no bark) natural texture for a natural edge bowl with the shape of a gramophone type neck/throat. Making a short story long :oo:, I started roughing it, cleaning all the bad bits first, etc. I find myself focus on what was spinning in front of me, forgetting about any pre-planned shape and just followed the timber, end-up stopping the lathe and finding a nearly round ball shape, with all the bad stuff removed and a very nice shape on the natural edge. I could have left the outside like that and just start hollowing the inside, but no..., that wasn't the shape I had anticipated for that blank so, I made the bad decision to get my heavy duty tools, face mask, etc. and "aggressively" cut the living life out of that outside ball, making it a skinny one in less than 90 seconds. The realization of what I had just done, happened after I stopped the lathe and seen that I had just removed half of the good timber of that blank and I wasn't going to be able to give it the shape I planned, as was no timber left for that. What happen was that, for a few minutes I forgot that I was working on a natural edge mounted blank, with the perception that the shape resulting for the timber spinning fast, was indeed all solid, when in reality is not.
Not having much more to cut outside, and being a little upset about it, I decided to hollow the inside not in a normal fashion (same thickness walls all through) but in a taped shape, starting at about 12-15mm from the bottom center and taping it not to match the outside shape but to meet the further point on the natural edge, to almost "nothing". This would create a smoother curve inside but could very easily destroy the whole thing, if a catch or similar would occur in within an inch or two from the soft, brittle and fragile timber around the edge. At that point, I wasn't to concern about that possibility, as and far as I was concern, the blank was stuffed anyway!:~

Not been known to give up that easy, I persevere a little and this is what I come up with. One coat of sanding sealer and 2 coats of Floorseal (sprayed).

Again, and not wanting to bother with the set up I have for inside photography of the turned pieces, I simply took some pics outside in the sun:o . It will do for now, I may do it again inside when I have enough pieces to justify setting up the stuff inside for the pics.

What you're reckon?

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Gil Jones
31st March 2009, 03:37 PM
OOoohhh, that one is a real beauty, and a fine bit of turning too:2tsup::2tsup:
Great piece of wood, and I am wondering if it would grow up here.

NeilS
31st March 2009, 04:58 PM
Great piece of wood, and I am wondering if it would grow up here.

Perhaps not in Geogia, Gil. Perhaps more suited to Arizona or Utah desert.

But, if you have a few hundred years to spare you could give it a go.

Buloke is even becoming a bit rare here is Australia.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/tsday08-buloke-woodlands.html

George - that is one of my favourite timbers. Just finished turning some pieces from some 100 year old fence posts. Beautiful figure, hasn't it?

Neil

Wayne Blanch
31st March 2009, 05:09 PM
Broody Lubbery:2tsup:
A beautiful piece of timber, a great finish, great shape. All in all you should be pleased with the end result. (I would be!)

ElizaLeahy
31st March 2009, 05:15 PM
Didn't know it was getting rare, pity!

That is a hell of a bowl! Love the story that goes with it.

Beautiful finish! Oooh, Ahhhh, Shiny!!!!!

artme
31st March 2009, 07:24 PM
:o:o That is one gorgeous piece of timber and a great save with the bowl.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
31st March 2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
Says it better than words.

DJ’s Timber
31st March 2009, 08:10 PM
The shape of the bowl itself is excellent :H but the foot IMHO is butt ugly, is way oversized compared to the bowl shape not to mention that it just doesn't suit the shape of the bowl.

rsser
31st March 2009, 08:15 PM
Yep. Too tall, too wide, ugly rings.

funkychicken
31st March 2009, 08:15 PM
The shape of the bowl itself is excellent :H but the foot IMHO is butt ugly, is way oversized compared to the bowl shape not to mention that it just doesn't suit the shape of the bowl.

Agreed:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
31st March 2009, 09:10 PM
RBTCO, I love it, what a beautiful wood!!!!
Ad :2tsup:

robutacion
31st March 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi people,

Thanks for "all" comments.

I don't have a problem with it, considering that the foot was already turned for the shape that I had anticipated, before I made the decision to change the shape dramatically. Considering the size of the blank that I was working with originally, the proportions looked right. I think, what I was/am disappointed with, is the fact that, and Neil is right, this is a beautiful timber and from what I see around here, very difficult to get a decent size piece without being cracked through, full of borers, voids and natural internal "ribbons", as this is a characteristic of these trees growth.
In all, I'm satisfied that I've the best I could with what I had left, and the final shape is in my view, quite acceptable, but this is no way good enough justification for what it could have been if I had put some more thought, in the limitations to work a blank this way, my mistake!

I know that are lots of other turners/people that disagree with me about many things (free world!), one of them, is the idea that a "good turner" has to remove any clues and or signs of how the piece was mounted and made, there is, the part of the piece that was used to attach it to the chuck, is most of the cases, the foot. I totally, indisputably and beyond any doubt, reject such ridiculous idea and work quality condition, irregardless of who come up with such discriminating regard, as a rule. There is no doubt that some pieces look better without a foot than with it, the same does apply the other way around, and anyone that decides to remove the chuck recess or any other mounting system groove, indenture, etc, should do it only, if that is part of the design or personal choice, and not because someone said so or is fashion:~:no: got it? :D

I didn't know that this timber was becoming a bit rare, and then and again, I have seen hundreds of theses trees everywhere in the area but 70% of them are dead, so this can be an indication of times to come, and maybe what is killing these ones (definitely not age, some aren't yet 20 years old!:o), have already "cleaned-up" the species in other areas (States)?
At the moment, I've got plenty of it and next season I will get lots more (already organized), the problem with it is that people prefer to use this timber for firewood more than most other timbers available around, so dead trees (and not so dead) keep disappearing at a fast rate, unless they are located in private land.

OK, I've spoke my mind, so I'm going...!:q

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
31st March 2009, 11:13 PM
Valuable experience for your next turning George. :2tsup:

robutacion
31st March 2009, 11:56 PM
Valuable experience for your next turning George. :2tsup:

Absolutely Ed, absolutely...!

This has happened I believe, because I turn normally 200 conventional type bowls, before I turn anything in natural edge, so I get accustom to what I see spinning, is actually there, in soild form all around so I didn't switch my way of approaching the blank as I should.
Indeed the main reason why I used my own mistake to start this thread, was precisely to alert others, mainly those that I sent a small blank of the same timber to be used preferentially for the making of a natural edge bowl (smaller one) as I requested originally. So the moral of the story, remember you are not turning a normal bowl mounted in a conventional way so, keep that in mind when the timber start turning, what you see, is not all timber, half of it is "nothing" "air"...!:o:wink:
if my example and advice is going to help one single person to do this natural edge bowl perfect, them my time was well spent!:roll:

RBTCO

hughie
1st April 2009, 12:15 PM
Well at the end of the day its a good save on some real good timber. :U

As to foot or no foot, as your the turner, your choice is right one, which ever way you choose.:2tsup:

Farnk
3rd April 2009, 07:52 PM
Good save mate, every one brought back from the dead is a lesson to us!
In my case it's usuallly to tell me that I'm going too fast or trying to cut too deeply!

I had a yooj redgum burl on the lathe fly apart when I was roughing down, threw the remains onto a shelf in disgust for a few months.

Got back to it later on, took my time and got a good result.

dr4g0nfly
5th April 2009, 06:54 AM
Lets see if I understand you correctly, you had an idea in your mind of what you wanted to turn but a couple of stray thoughts and you found yourself with a new design opportunity.

Looks good to me, I'd never of guessed you did not mean to make it like this.

Nice finish to.