PDA

View Full Version : Cedar??

DSEL74
31st March 2009, 10:16 PM
I am looking for some cheap solution to getting cedar for a cabinet!

Was even considering using old oregon planks from scaffolding.......

Anyone wanting to clean out the shed can let me know.

Cheers.

whitewood
1st April 2009, 07:23 AM
I don't know what Australian cedar costs but I assume it is not cheap. As an alternative you could consider paulownia. When stained it is almost impossible to tell the differerence because the grain patterns in paulownia are similar to cedar and it absorbs the stain very well. If you stained the timber after it was cut to size but before fitting I am sure you would produce a cabinet that was light,strong and only with the closest of examination would someone know it was not the real thing.

John

glenn k
1st April 2009, 11:45 AM
What sort of Cedar???? I stained a piece of meranti (that I picked for grain) and others could not pick which baluster was not Australian red cedar.

DSEL74
1st April 2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know what Australian cedar costs but I assume it is not cheap. As an alternative you could consider paulownia. When stained it is almost impossible to tell the differerence because the grain patterns in paulownia are similar to cedar and it absorbs the stain very well. If you stained the timber after it was cut to size but before fitting I am sure you would produce a cabinet that was light,strong and only with the closest of examination would someone know it was not the real thing.

John

John,

Paulownia would actually be better, but last time I tried I found it very hard to source other than as trees or window slat blinds. Neither useful sizes to me. I want it to make a large chest with drawers.

If you can recommend some place that sells resonable bits cheap or free to good home I would love to know about it.

I'm in Melb by the way.

The type of timber has become second priority to cost! :o I know blasphemy........But when you have been out of work for 2years money gets tight.:doh:

1st choice - paulownia
2nd Cedar - any
3rd Oregon

Horsecroft88
2nd April 2009, 03:41 PM
Hi John

Can appreciate your situation and so hence your rationale. Never a good situation to be in, and probably even more so these days. Anyway from my experience Australian red cedar is both (a) difficult to come by and (b) usually very expensive. Can't say I have ever heard of Paulownia (what sort of tree is that ?)

Therefore if you are looking for new timber, Oregan is probably your best bet.

The alternative to consider, and especially as $$ dictates all, is have you had a look at demolition sites, tip shop resource outlets, or even keep an eye out on the Trading Post and/or classifieds under building materials (eg. demolitions). These resources seem to be where I find the majority of old timber I need for my projects.

Pity you are not here in Hobart as I could probably help you out with timber. I collect old timber for not only restoring my houses (two projects) but as well for repairs to antiques, and/or in the hope one day of making some furniture. Dave

whitewood
2nd April 2009, 09:03 PM
Anyway from my experience Australian red cedar is both (a) difficult to come by and (b) usually very expensive. Can't say I have ever heard of Paulownia (what sort of tree is that ?)

Dave,

I grow, mill and sell this timber but for a detailed explaination visit www.highpointtimber.com.au (http://www.highpointtimber.com.au) and see what they have to say about it. There are other sites including mine but this one is large and detailed.

John

Horsecroft88
3rd April 2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks John, as I mentioned I wasn't aware of this timber. I am not sure it is even available here in Hobart. I largely don't deal with new timber, preferring to work with re-cycled old timber (cedar, baltic, kauri, oregan, huon pine, celery, king billy, hoop pine, even good old tassie oak, and where necessary radiata).

I had a look at the website link you included and can see the obvious advantages/uses for Kiri. The one thing I didn't notice, but I am probably blind and I havn't googled it yet , is where does this timber originate from (ie. country of origin).

Anyway good to know its existance, since this perhaps might be a good option for me, for use in making new skirting boards, and architraves etc for my 1824 country home I am restoring. For some reason the house seems to have lost these. Any idea on how/where I can obtain this, since if readily available, I can mention this to my builder and he could get the joiner to run up some lengths for me. Cheers Dave

DSEL74
3rd April 2009, 08:46 AM
Paulownia / Kiri , and I can't remeber the differance. Some say it is a hardness rating of the same timber others the age of the tree. Anyway I think it has been deated in outher thread iff anyone really wants to know. I belive it originated in China but is used all over asisa and is one of the traditional timbers used in Japanse Tansu etc.

Will check those sources.

Cheers.

Horsecroft88
3rd April 2009, 11:29 AM
Cheers DSEL, interesting information to know about, but once again, and please excuse my ignorance, what is Japanese Tansu ?? :D Dave Some sort of origami or a temple ??

DSEL74
3rd April 2009, 11:52 AM
Cheers DSEL, interesting information to know about, but once again, and please excuse my ignorance, what is Japanese Tansu ?? :D Dave Some sort of origami or a temple ??

Ok here is my deffinition which might not be text book correct of course:

Tansu - Is a large Cabinet for any room most commonly known version is a Japanese stair case cabinet. i.e. A star case which is not built in and is full of drawers, sliding doors etc.

Dansu - Is a small item or chest usually with long and flat with 3 or so drawers.

Very easy to find more info if you google Japanese furniature

whitewood
3rd April 2009, 02:40 PM
Dave,

Paulownia does not enjoy wide support as yet. It is relatively new on the Australian market and only available at a few outlets. As I am one of them I am reluctant to benefit the opposition by providing their detailson the forum. Anyway my prices are lower than theirs.

As a matter of interest I have sold timber to people on King Island so it's almost made it to Hobart.

John

Horsecroft88
3rd April 2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks DSEL, my ignorance is no longer though I must admit I know nothing about Japanese furniture. My interests lay mostly with Colonial and Georgan furniture (ie. of English or Australian origins). I know a little about French antiques from having spent time living there but thats about it.

Thanks for the update on that John and yes you are correct re having made it as far as King Island thats getting closer, albeit probably still about 500 Km + from Hobart. So no distributers yet for such timber in Tassie mainland. Oh well, will have to wait and see if any merchant is interested in picking this up. I can certainly appreciate and respect where you are comming from and would not wish to put you at a market disadvantage.

My next question therefore is if I wished to buy from you, (a) how would I do this, (b) if it were possible, how can I get it transported here at a reasonable cost and (c) do you have sections suitable for the joinery purposes I mentioned (eg. skirtings and/or possibly architraves ?

I realise that we are probably now well off the original purposes of this thread, and maybe this is a discussion we should have via a PM. :) Cheers Dave

Oddjob1
3rd April 2009, 09:26 PM
Wow! Oregon that looks like Cedar, I don't think so! Don't try to fake it, Stick with the real deal! Hunt around for sorry things that have past their use by date, pick out the Cedar that will suit your purpose, give it new life in your piece.

glenn k
4th April 2009, 03:32 PM
I still think meranti is your cheapest alternative needs to be stained though the species it comes from are as varied as Tassi oak so is the colour and grain.
The other thing is second hand shops old doors etc Aus cedar was used for a lot of things in the past.