PDA

View Full Version : Bethlehem Olive Wood group buy

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 08:16 AM
Hey Folks,

Since the question was asked in another thread, and I've been wondering about getting some myself for a while, I thought I'd put out feelers for anyone interested in a Bethlehem Olive Wood (hereafter referred to as BOW) group buy.

I've worked out costs, and it would be $5 per blank (5 1/4" x 3/4" - i.e. Approx. 130-135mm x 19mm) plus postage from here in Australia. Would need a minimum of 40 blanks ordered to be viable.

Delivery could be up to 6 weeks from when the order is placed and they come with a certificate of authenticity. I have to confirm if it's one per blank, or one per order, which i would copy.

Please post expressions of interest here.

Thanks.
Russell.

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 10:43 AM
Slight update.

Depending on exchange rate, quantity ordered at the time, and payment method, price could fall to $4.75 or even $4.50 per blank.

Postage around Australia would be $5.50 for up to 9 or 10 blanks, $9.60 over that.

Russell.

watsrags
1st April 2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Russell.
You can put me down for 5
I looked at some of these blanks on the net this am loverly timber

Trevor

Interwood
1st April 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi Russell,

Please put me down for 20. :2tsup:

Best regards,

Chris

poulso
1st April 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Russell
Put me down for 10

Jason

shazzkim
1st April 2009, 01:00 PM
I would be interested in 8 as well if thats okay. Good work for organizing this.
Kim
PS where are you sourcing them from or is that secret squirrel stuff!!!

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 01:24 PM
Ok looks like we're not going to have trouble reaching the minimum number.

No secret where it's coming from, it was started in the thread on importing woods, and the company is http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net. I'm just organising the economies of scale.

I'm not doing this for profit, it just helps me to get some at the same price as everyone else, which is cheaper than I could get it alone. Just the vaguaries of exchange rates and fees that I have to cover makes the final price variable. $5 is the maximum it should cost in Australian, allowing some buffer for fluctuations and a base order of 40 blanks, which we're almost at already.

I'll have to limit the order size too, so the customs man doesn't come a knocking for his cut, and so I can cover the expense until it all gets distributed. So it'll be first in first serve up to about 100 blanks.

Russell.

bdar
1st April 2009, 02:15 PM
Russell put me down for 20 BOW blanks please.
Darren

Simomatra
1st April 2009, 03:29 PM
Russell I have purchased form them before and they were terrible to deal with. They would not answer my emails once I had paid and it took over 8 weeks to get from Israel to Greece. You would be better off dealing with Monty from IAP, he is a reseller and I think is cheaper than going direct.You will still get the certificates.

Hope this helps as mine took forever to get here. I still have enough left in stock for me.

gawdelpus
1st April 2009, 04:42 PM
Yep,can be some problems with these things ,that being said I think me for 10 as well hehe, I have a couple in my pile with certificates ,but nothing special in what I have got.
Might have to look at some of those smaller size cross clips as well ,especially with easter coming up :) Cheers ! John

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Sam. I thought I saw some comments they were OK, but I may have misread. Will do some more research and update if necessary. The phone number I was given to order was a US number, so I assumed it was a reseller from there I was dealing with.

Russell.'

mkypenturner
1st April 2009, 05:39 PM
hi russell
i would be interested in 10 as well thanks troy

robutacion
1st April 2009, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone.

I reckon balk buy makes things a little less expensive, for everyone in this case, but you're right, watch that total order amount, Customs can make things a lot less attractive and affordable for everyone.

I have never dealt with these people, therefore I can't make any comment on their reputation, timber validation or even true timber origin, reason why I have asked some simple and direct questions to the person that represents the business, and is now a forum member.

I don't think is a need to reveal here, what Olive wood means to me and the fact that I have made it available (locally grown) to anyone interested in suck timber, but I'm puzzled with this question, Is this certain interest for olive wood, because this timber is not readily available in commercial stores or timber suppliers, including pen timber suppliers, or just is because it is believe that is coming from Bethlehem olive grown trees?

Now, there is no question that the pics shown in the web site, are indeed beautiful, and the whole site was put together very well with lots of informative material there, nor I am stating that is anything wrong with the timber these people are making available, but is a piece of paper "certificate" means that much? what stops people from selling pens made out of olive wood, claiming that come from somewhere more "suitably relevant" that can justify the price asked/marked?

Looking closely, there are two sides of my question and they basically are;

- Are you interested or willing to get some olive wood because of its origin, and "certification", regardless how much that will cost?, or

- You want to access some olive wood, for being olive timber, and for its natural characteristics, either because you have heard about it but never had the chance to work with it, or you acknowledge its significance and history but has no access to some?

Is there a conflict of interest?, absolutely not, I'm no business, nor I want to be, I've made that point many times, but my question is genuine and has been for some time, irregardless what others will think or assume!:wink:

Simomatra's warning is the first one I've heard, and I would suggest that anyone that know the source and have had dealings with them, to come forward and give their comments, the one way or the other (good or bad), this will be only fair to everyone, including the people that are selling the product.

As for me, Olive wood is just a beautiful & unique product from the "Mother Nature", irregardless where it grows...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 06:12 PM
OK I've done some more research and have to check a few things more, but it seems the company had some personal issues about 9-12 months ago, that caused a lot of grief with long delays to deliver. Was this when you ordered Sam?

I've seen quite a few posts defending them as a reputable small company to deal with outside of this period, but have not seem any real comments since June last year. This either means people have nothing to complain about anymore, which is good, or pe3ople are not delaing with them anymore, possibly because there are local supplies in the US that they can get them from. I assume these suppliers are getting theri orders from these people still anyway, so they don't seem to have a problem dealing with them.

There is a general opinion though, that delivery times ina ny case can be extensive - 1 - 3 months being typical.

I could source them alternately straight from Woodturningz, but the cost would probably creep up more to $6 per blank instead.

Assuming the additional questions I've asked come back positive, I'm still happy to go through with the original plan, as long as people realise there would be a longer wait than 6 weeks (or maybe not. I saw reports of 3 weeks deliveryt to the US as well). IF anyone above wishes to change their mind about wanting some, or would prefer to pay $6 (to be confirmed) for a more reliable source, please let me know.

Robutacion, the discussion on whether it's really BOW or some other, is a moot point really. It's teh same discussion that occurred here recently with some heated words about Huang Huali and Jichimum. You have to put your trust in someone until proven otherwise. No one can really prove either way without being there from the tree cut, to the final blank. As you say, if people have their doubts, they still have a nice piece of wood in their hands that can be treated as such, and throw the piece of paper that comes with it, away.

Russell.

gawdelpus
1st April 2009, 06:32 PM
As a postscript, I have some (certificate) BOW from woodturningz, going to turn some tomorrow,but it seems very unspectacular to me at this time ,maybe the turning will show up better. cheers ! John

mag
1st April 2009, 06:46 PM
Russell,

You can put me down for 5 please.

Mike

mkypenturner
1st April 2009, 07:02 PM
hi russell
i would be interested in 10 as well thanks troy
im still good for 10 if it costs $ 6 depends on exchange rate at time:2tsup:

eisbaer
1st April 2009, 08:04 PM
i'm still waitin on my order from them but i've found communication from them to be good. I believe i'll have my stock shortly so when i do i'll be sure to post pics. That might help alleviate any concerns people have. Provided the blanks look as good as i hope :)

in regards to the question regarding if bow is so special just because of where it's from, i'm only getting it because i have a commission for a pair of pens for a clergyman who appreciates the significance of "holy land olive". It's referenced in the bible a fair bit so it'll be something he'll love. I'm not a religious person by any means but he's a paying customer so... :)

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 08:18 PM
i'm still waitin on my order from them but i've found communication from them to be good. I believe i'll have my stock shortly so when i do i'll be sure to post pics. That might help alleviate any concerns people have. Provided the blanks look as good as i hope :)

Thanks mate, will be good to hear from you when it arrives. They do note on their web site that the figuring does vary, although pen blanks are supposed to be from the heartwood.

Russell.

mkypenturner
1st April 2009, 08:32 PM
what size blanks russell

troy

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 08:41 PM
what size blanks russell

troy

Still the same ones in the original post 5.25' x .75" x .75". Other sizes are available at various prices, but I figured this is the most common size to cover most pen sizes. The largest pens like Emperors may require bigger blanks. If someone is desperate for a larger size, let me know I might be able to slip a couple in. Would have to check how it throws the packaging size out though.

Russell.

QC Inspector
1st April 2009, 09:25 PM
robutacion

An answer to your question about why BOW over "regular Olive wood.

We can get non pedigreed Olive from Lee Valley for $3.50 Canadian a blank and between $4.00 to $6.00 Canadian from William Wood-Write (a Canadian supplier of pen goodies). My girlfriend bought 3 from WW-W and I thought she should have just gone for the cheaper ones from LV since I don't think it matters where it comes from if it is looks the same. I'm not a believer, but aren't all trees gifts from God?

So a few days later I am talking to one of the guys at work about fountain pens, seeing if I can get him to buy one, and he said he has an uncle that is a minister. The light goes on and I said that we had some of the BOW and right away he wanted the pen as a gift for his uncle. So one down, two to go!

I went over to one other co-worker that is a Jehovah Witness to ask if a BOW fountain pen would be of interest to church going types like he is. His response was to get a fountain pen for his sons anniversary. That's two in the space of 5 minutes!

Neither balked at the $45 price, and it was only because of where the wood came from.

On the weekend while drilling she got a crack in the third blank, fixed it with CA and kept going. It turned out looking great. She is using it as a "demo". While at work yesterday, a customer (very religious) is talking to her about her pen turning, when showed the BOW he wanted it right away. She wouldn't sell it to him because of the crack but told him one like it would be about $45. He said "Is that all?"

The girl friend has a table in her first art and craft sale in May, and has ordered 10 more blanks in hopes the religious people will want them. Being a nice looking wood won't hurt either. So if the Holy Land sourced wood inspires them to impulse buy your pen, you are going to get it for them. Right?

Now if we could just find some offcuts from the planks in Noah's shipyard.......:;

BoomerangInfo
1st April 2009, 09:33 PM
Now if we could just find some offcuts from the planks in Noah's shipyard.......:;

I've got some of those!

I'll even give you a certificate of authenticity, and the phone number for Noah Browns boating company on the beach so you can check it :p

Russell.

NewLondon88
1st April 2009, 11:31 PM
Russell:
You might want to send Monty (on the other forum) an email. I know he is paring down
a lot of his stock, and he usually orders a lot of BOW from this place. He says they
take forever to fill orders and there is no communication during that time, but seems
satisfied with most of the wood. (and he's picky)

He's selling off most or all of his blank at pretty good prices, perhaps he can either help
you out or he can give you some pointers?

ps ... didn't you know that olive trees only grow in Bethlehem? :p

robutacion
2nd April 2009, 02:46 AM
robutacion

An answer to your question about why BOW over "regular Olive wood.

We can get non pedigreed Olive from Lee Valley for $3.50 Canadian a blank and between $4.00 to $6.00 Canadian from William Wood-Write (a Canadian supplier of pen goodies). My girlfriend bought 3 from WW-W and I thought she should have just gone for the cheaper ones from LV since I don't think it matters where it comes from if it is looks the same. I'm not a believer, but aren't all trees gifts from God?

So a few days later I am talking to one of the guys at work about fountain pens, seeing if I can get him to buy one, and he said he has an uncle that is a minister. The light goes on and I said that we had some of the BOW and right away he wanted the pen as a gift for his uncle. So one down, two to go!

I went over to one other co-worker that is a Jehovah Witness to ask if a BOW fountain pen would be of interest to church going types like he is. His response was to get a fountain pen for his sons anniversary. That's two in the space of 5 minutes!

Neither balked at the $45 price, and it was only because of where the wood came from.

On the weekend while drilling she got a crack in the third blank, fixed it with CA and kept going. It turned out looking great. She is using it as a "demo". While at work yesterday, a customer (very religious) is talking to her about her pen turning, when showed the BOW he wanted it right away. She wouldn't sell it to him because of the crack but told him one like it would be about $45. He said "Is that all?"

The girl friend has a table in her first art and craft sale in May, and has ordered 10 more blanks in hopes the religious people will want them. Being a nice looking wood won't hurt either. So if the Holy Land sourced wood inspires them to impulse buy your pen, you are going to get it for them. Right?

Hi QC Inspector,

Absolutely...! what makes people happy, is good enough for me!
Well, I'm not certain of the prices pens sell (types, timber, vinyl, bone, etc.), but from what I gather from your thoughts, if a $30 pen sell for $45 because the blank that is made off cost double or even triple from a normal one (whatever that prices is?), paying $5 or even $6 for the selling "point", is a damn good proposition, after all, only cost you an extra $2 to $4 , to make an extra $15:o:D

There is no question in my view, of the natural qualities and beauty of this unique tree species and its significance among some people believes and cultures, but and answering your question, if someone would ask me do so some pens or other pieces out of olive for its religious nature, I would be more than happy to do so, considering that they would accept that I would use "holy" wood, and not "holy grown" wood, there is, would be difficult to convince me to order olive from the "holy" source, when I went to great length, effort and expense to acquire as much as I possible can, of locally grown "holy" trees. This has to do with the fact, as I mentions previously, my "attraction" and "appreciation" for Olive as a "special" timber species, never had anything to do with its origins, but instead, with the tree itself.

Could I just take advantage of the extra value of the olive imported or grown from Bethlehem, and sell it as such? off-course I could, I can provide (hand selected) olive wood that no one, but I mean no one could tell otherwise, unless that timber is the taken to a lab for scientific tests, and for half of the imported prices. So anyone that ever got any items already turned or cleaned timber in raw condition (blanks, slabs, half logs and full logs that had the name of Olive, have done so , being perfectly aware from the area the timber as come from, (grown and cut), even if not asked, they already know from my sharing of every main timber find/collection, in this forum (normally in general wood-turning or Buy , Swap & Sell sections.)

Just let me also say that, even $6 for a proper original heartwood olive blank pen, coming from ancient trees growing in Bethlehem, landed at your front stairs, is a bargain! but there are other issues related to "specifics" of these trees that I will discuss in one next opportunity, that will ring alarm bells of questionable nature, don't worry, I will explain it in detail soon.

It would be interesting also to see, how many people has had or still have a working connection with these trees, there is, picking the olives (either traditional way or mechanical, watering, spraying, looking for signs of trouble, and finally pruning the trees after the fruit is collected. I would like to go further and find out who know, seen or participated in all the stages of olives the oils, again, either by traditional methods (grinding stones, channels, dripper and the "secret" compartment where a set trickle of oil runs into a large underground tank, as the mill owners commission:o, oh yeah!, the modern crashing techniques are very different, but I spend one week every year, exchanging my labour with olive oil, after I help picking the fruit manually, helping with the oil production and then another week with prunning of the trees, preferentially one month after the fruit is removed for exchange of any usable timber (mainly branches). Take some note of this pruning subject, this is where my next discussion is going to be base upon, you will see why.
Some habits never leave you, and I've been trained by some of the best old timers, when I was only a kid back in my country of birth (Portugal) talking about olive timber, and religious believes among those people, you couldn't possible be more extreme. After all, is there where "Fatima" exists. Please, don't ask me what it is if you don't know, a simple google search will give the answers. I'm not "that" religious...!

Anyway, time to go...

PS: I forgot to add a pic with the card of the fellow that I prune for, each year. Name and ph numbers were suppressed as I didn't ask permission to divulge is personal details, sorry.

RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
2nd April 2009, 07:46 AM
Ok well I'm checking some references, but due to concerns on postage times, I'm looking at the option of express mail. This should not increase the price above $5, but I won't be able to reduce it lower than that I don't think.

I have to tally up the total ordered so far, but I think we're about mjax order size, so if all my checks come back OK, I'll finalise and order in the next few days.

Russell.

Ozkaban
2nd April 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Russell,

I seem to a bit late in jumping in on this. Put me down for 10 blanks.

Thanks for organising it!

cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
2nd April 2009, 03:10 PM
Well, after checking with Monty, he can't help us. He recommended Ghasan, but did say normal post was slow. I've calculated Express mail will still take about 4 weeks from ordering to arrival at my place, and will be trackable. So that's the option I'm going with.

I can also confirm that every blank comes with a cert of authority.

We have the max numbers I wanted for the order, so can proceed. I'm just waiting to discuss wholesale pricing with Ghasan and finalising all costs. I'll post an update when I know the final pricing, but it will not exceed $5 per blank.

Russell.

robutacion
2nd April 2009, 03:27 PM
Well, after checking with Monty, he can't help us. He recommended Ghasan, but did say normal post was slow. I've calculated Express mail will still take about 4 weeks from ordering to arrival at my place, and will be trackable. So that's the option I'm going with.

We have the max numbers I wanted for the order, so can proceed. I'm just waiting to discuss wholesale pricing with Ghasan and finalising all costs. I'll post an update when I know the final pricing, but it will not exceed $5 per blank.

Russell.

Russell,

That sounds a damn good deal you've got there, as I said $5 for the "real thing" I mean "Mother Source", is quite acceptable...!

I may be of no help about the time that will take to get the timber here (Australia), but I would think that Ghasan, is now very aware that there are some demanding and fussy people on this forum that are putting their money on the promise of top quality olive timber, and will be very critical and loud, otherwise!:o:wink:
This should guarantee some extra selection care on the blanks for this order...!, sorry Ghasan.:roll:

George

astrid
2nd April 2009, 04:07 PM
where are they sourcing the timber

look here and think about it:cool:

If this is the source, it dosent seem very holy to me

http://www1.american.edu/TED/ice/olive-tree.htm

If the timber is coming from palistinian holdings in this way, purchasers thinking they are getting something holy have a right to be informed and then make their decision.

mkypenturner
2nd April 2009, 08:34 PM

Russell.
russell thats good to know that its gunna be wholesale makes it better for all of us just let us know when you need payment
thanks troy :2tsup:

wm460
2nd April 2009, 09:50 PM
Am I to late? If not I will get five.
Thanks Mark.

BoomerangInfo
2nd April 2009, 09:52 PM
Am I to late? If not I will get five.
Thanks Mark.

Umm, you may be. People can keep expressing their interest, but for this time, I might have to cut it off at Ozkaban, as that was my original target. Just don't want to upset the customs man, or the cost might double :oo:!

Russell.

wm460
3rd April 2009, 12:10 AM
I will have to be faster next time

gawdelpus
3rd April 2009, 04:34 AM
Russell !you can check it out ,but I believe you can have up to $1000 AU in value before customs take an interest re duty, just in case you wanted to add some more to your order hehe! mind you 200 odd blanks is a lot of old firewood lol. :D

BoomerangInfo
3rd April 2009, 07:18 AM
Russell !you can check it out ,but I believe you can have up to $1000 AU in value before customs take an interest re duty, just in case you wanted to add some more to your order hehe! mind you 200 odd blanks is a lot of old firewood lol. :D

Yep, I'm just not sure whether they may look upon a large shipment as being "commercial" and decide the limits don't apply.

I also have to carry the debt until people pay me, so the hit on the credit card is a factor in the order size as well.

Great news on the wholesale pricing. The price per blank will drop to $4.25 each.

Russell.

robutacion
3rd April 2009, 12:18 PM
Yep, I'm just not sure whether they may look upon a large shipment as being "commercial" and decide the limits don't apply.

I also have to carry the debt until people pay me, so the hit on the credit card is a factor in the order size as well.

Great news on the wholesale pricing. The price per blank will drop to $4.25 each.

Russell.

Wow, that's a bargain, believe me, assuming that they are what they should be!

I wouldn't order more than 100 blanks in one go (parcel), just to be on the safe side but, if the interest still growing, why doesn't someone else comes forward and get another 100 in his/her name. I believe, Russell wouldn't mind to organize the extra order, and assist this person to pay and have them sent under this person's identification. Just a thought, if so many other people wants these BOW blanks, otherwise and for those that want/need olive pen blanks, but are OK with not being BOW, I maybe could help!

RBTCO

eisbaer
3rd April 2009, 01:30 PM
if there's any consternation on quality, i should have my order here in a bit over a week and i'll be posting photos of the blanks. I'm sure they'll be great :)

Simomatra
3rd April 2009, 02:28 PM
There was no problem with the quality they were all first rate, my complaint was the time it took to get here and although it had tracking it was next to useless. Communications was a big problem and hopefully that is all sorted out know

Photo's of the Quality

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/CAMBRIDGE1.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l369/simomatra/P1020638.png

BoomerangInfo
3rd April 2009, 02:45 PM
I double checked costs for adding a few more in, so Mark I think you'll be OK. We can go up in lots of 15 for a couple more, if people still want to add a few more in, but I have all the info I need now, so it's just a matter of placing the order when everyone is done.

So I'll give it till tomorrow morning to finalise. I just found out I have to get a new pair of glasses that are going to cost me $1100 :o :C so the poor old credit card's going to get a workout this week. Glad our $900 from Mr Rudd is coming through soon.

Russell.

ss_11000
3rd April 2009, 08:03 PM
what happened to Astrids post? :?
i quickly read some of the site yesterday and wanted to return to it to read further.

BoomerangInfo
3rd April 2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Folks,

Quick note on the postage. I had an original figure of 20 blanks per Kg, but have been given another of 15 per Kg. What this means is I'm not sure whether 10 will fit in a 500g bag, or will have to go up to the 3Kg bag, so the postage for those may not be $5.50, but $9.60 instead. Sorry if this causes anyone any hassles. It may still be OK. Won't know until they arrive and I weight them myself.

Russell.

mkypenturner
3rd April 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi Folks,

Quick note on the postage. I had an original figure of 20 blanks per Kg, but have been given another of 15 per Kg. What this means is I'm not sure whether 10 will fit in a 500g bag, or will have to go up to the 3Kg bag, so the postage for those may not be $5.50, but $9.60 instead. Sorry if this causes anyone any hassles. It may still be OK. Won't know until they arrive and I weight them myself.

Russell.
thats cool russell hey no ones perfect and well cant help the weight thanks for the update troy :2tsup:

BoomerangInfo
3rd April 2009, 08:37 PM
OK I have the following names and quantities.

Please let me know ASAP if I have missed you, or the count is wrong.

watsrags 5
Interwood 20
poulso 10
shazzkim 8
bdar 20
gawdelpus 10
mkypenturner 10
mag 5
timberbits 10
Ozkaban 10
wm460 5

Thanks. Russell.

mkypenturner
3rd April 2009, 09:26 PM
russell yes that is correct amount for me 10 blanks
thanks troy:2tsup:

eisbaer
3rd April 2009, 11:11 PM
hey simomatra that's one great looking pen. :) well that should alleviate anyone's concern that the blanks might not have the aesthetic value, all other value aside. For what it's worth communication with these guys that i have had has been good so hopefully your experience was an anomaly rather than the norm. Have you ordered any of their carob blanks before?

BoomerangInfo
4th April 2009, 07:15 AM
hey simomatra that's one great looking pen. :) well that should alleviate anyone's concern that the blanks might not have the aesthetic value, all other value aside. For what it's worth communication with these guys that i have had has been good so hopefully your experience was an anomaly rather than the norm. Have you ordered any of their carob blanks before?

When I spoke to Ghasan, be also said they would hand pick the blanks for us, which I reckon is a good sign.

Oh regarding payment, I'd pefer Direct Deposit, but can accept Paypal as well. If you'd rather pay by some other method, please contact me so we can discuss.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
4th April 2009, 11:17 AM
Well everyone, the offer for now is closed, as I've agreed on a final price with Ghasan and he is sending me an invoice.

Sorry to say the price is going up again, as the wholesale discount he told me when I changed the price to $4.25 was not quite correct, as wholesale don't usually get the free blanks. We're still getting a discount, just half as much, but getting the free blanks as well, which I had already factored into the total needed. He;s also chucking in some free extras to fill the package to the top of it's weight class, if possible.

So the price will be adjusted back up again to somewhere between $4.25 and $5. Once I pay the funds and find out the AUS$ conversion, I'll work it out and post the new, final price.

Hope that's OK with everyone.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
4th April 2009, 11:50 AM
OK, order is done. Ill be looking for the parcel to arrive earliest 22nd April with Easter holidays, latest around 12th May given the times I've been told. So we'll see how it goes.

After looking at the final costs, price per blank is $4.40. Preferred payment is by bank transfer as indicated earlier, but I will accept Paypal or other methods.

Postage cost for less than 10 blanks is $5.50. Postage cost for greater than 10 blanks is $9.60. People who want 10 blanks will have to wait till they arrive, so I can figure out if it falls into the 500g size or not. I think it should, but am not sure.

If you feel comfortable paying in advance, I won't say no, but am not asking anyone to pay until I've notified the order has arrive, if you're more comfortable that way.

So if everyone could email me their mailing addresses and preferred payment method, and I'll provide details so you can pay when agreed. Please put "BOW GROUP BUY ORDER " as the email subject, so I can find the posts easily in my junk pile I call an inbox :D.

If you want to provide some feedback on how well you think I've conducted this group buy, I'd appreciate it. I benefit with reduced prices as much as everyone else, so I don't mind doing them and am happy to entertain more in the future if people are happy with the way I've run things.

Thanks. Russell.

BoomerangInfo
4th April 2009, 02:56 PM
My bad, I didn't have my forum email option turned on. It is now.

Russell.

gawdelpus
4th April 2009, 03:27 PM
Russell will be close to 500 grams for 10 , I have 2 here from same source and weighs 100 grams for 2,but that's kitchen scales lol.

Email sent :) cheers and good work for all this organising . John

robutacion
5th April 2009, 01:01 AM
OK, order is done. Ill be looking for the parcel to arrive earliest 22nd April with Easter holidays, latest around 12th May given the times I've been told. So we'll see how it goes.

After looking at the final costs, price per blank is $4.40. Preferred payment is by bank transfer as indicated earlier, but I will accept Paypal or other methods.

Postage cost for less than 10 blanks is $5.50. Postage cost for greater than 10 blanks is $9.60. People who want 10 blanks will have to wait till they arrive, so I can figure out if it falls into the 500g size or not. I think it should, but am not sure.

If you feel comfortable paying in advance, I won't say no, but am not asking anyone to pay until I've notified the order has arrive, if you're more comfortable that way.

So if everyone could email me their mailing addresses and preferred payment method, and I'll provide details so you can pay when agreed. Please put "BOW GROUP BUY ORDER " as the email subject, so I can find the posts easily in my junk pile I call an inbox :D.

If you want to provide some feedback on how well you think I've conducted this group buy, I'd appreciate it. I benefit with reduced prices as much as everyone else, so I don't mind doing them and am happy to entertain more in the future if people are happy with the way I've run things.

Thanks. Russell.

Russell,

I takes a lot of leg work and time to go that far, I don't think that was much more you could do. The great prices achieved are very good irregardless which way you see it. If Ghasan said to you that he was going to hand select the blanks for this order, them I will believe he will, and this has a lot more value than any extra discount, believe me!
Like I said, was nothing to lose by making Ghasan aware we would be all watching, those that have ordered and some of those that didn't!
Thanks Ghasan:2tsup:

Anyone that knows anything about timber, will accept that there are no 2 pieces the same, particularly with olive wood, every square inch has its distinct characteristics even if it doesn't look too busy. I was just making a couple of pen blanks samples this evening and I was on # 20 wild olive which is normally not very old (under 20 years), and grabbed a couple of blanks from the box (same as those made and send to everyone) but only those with holes, bit of bark on, a bit missing, odd size or some other defects, and they looked pretty much how wild olive should look, less brown & not as dark, wide vains (still forming) lots of bright yellow mainly, but after I turn them 2/3 round and gave then a coat of sealer up to just before the round timber goes back to square(ish), I could see those "faint" brown markings, turn into something else, well made me take them off the lathe and look at the number written on the chuck end side of the blank, yeah... sure he said #20 and I know they were wild olive for sure! and yeah..., the smell of "any" olive timber being turned, is just something else, addicted? probably yes!

So Russell, you done well, and with some luck, everyone will be smelling that olive soon! I just hope that was another way of getting these things done without having to outlay so much money of your own pocket and pay high interest fees...! I suppose everything has a price, including being generous!:q

Cheers
RBTCO

Ozkaban
5th April 2009, 09:12 AM
Email sent. I'm very happy with the price/arrangements. Thanks for this Russell.

Cheers,
Dave

watsrags
5th April 2009, 10:26 AM
Email sent. I'm rapt with the price/arrangements. Thanks for this Russell
The LOML has imformed me that shes going to pay the cost of the blanks plus a Majestic Pen on the condition she keeps the pen.I guess she will have to wait awhile while I get better at making pens cause if I stuff it up imagion the s*** I be in

Trevor

BoomerangInfo
5th April 2009, 12:09 PM
Email sent. I'm rapt with the price/arrangements. Thanks for this Russell
The LOML has imformed me that shes going to pay the cost of the blanks plus a Majestic Pen on the condition she keeps the pen.I guess she will have to wait awhile while I get better at making pens cause if I stuff it up imagion the s*** I be in

Trevor

Heh, well you could always tell her she'll have to get two kits and a couple spare tubes, in case of "irregularities" in the end result :P

Russell.

mkypenturner
5th April 2009, 08:49 PM
russell email sent thanks again troy

eisbaer
8th April 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi guys,

I received my shipment yesterday from the bethlehem olive wood guys and here is a photo of the blanks. If Ghasan is handpicking these for your group buy, you won't be disappointed. :2tsup:

I received an individual card of authenticity for every blank, just as has been discussed earlier. They are of good quality. They're not just photo copied pieces of paper in case anyone is worried about that.

Anyway to summarize, very happy with the service. It was just over two weeks from ordering to delivery, which is about what Ghasan said it would be. The blanks are of exceptional quality and I'm very happy. :2tsup:

Good luck with the group purchase and have fun turning these blanks into works of art. When nature does this much for you, you're already halfway there before you turn the lathe on.... :)

robutacion
9th April 2009, 12:20 AM
Hi guys,

I received my shipment yesterday from the bethlehem olive wood guys and here is a photo of the blanks. If Ghasan is handpicking these for your group buy, you won't be disappointed. :2tsup:

I received an individual card of authenticity for every blank, just as has been discussed earlier. They are of good quality. They're not just photo copied pieces of paper in case anyone is worried about that.

Anyway to summarize, very happy with the service. It was just over two weeks from ordering to delivery, which is about what Ghasan said it would be. The blanks are of exceptional quality and I'm very happy. :2tsup:

Good luck with the group purchase and have fun turning these blanks into works of art. When nature does this much for you, you're already halfway there before you turn the lathe on.... :)

Well, well, well, there you go...! nothing wrong with those blanks, they will make some nice pens, no doubt:wink:

Do you have the total weight of those 12 blanks? what does the card of authenticity say?, not that makes that much of a difference but if those cards are not copies, how are they produced? just curious...!

Now, make sure that when you decide to turn some of them, you have your sinuses clean or you are not suffering from the flue, as that would spoil half of the fun, as is not often you get that nice smell in the shed!

Thanks for showing the blanks, you just added plenty of expectation to those that put some orders in!:o:;

Cheers
RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
9th April 2009, 06:52 AM

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know.

Russell.

eisbaer
9th April 2009, 07:40 PM
i'll post a pic of the certificates when i get a chance. They're on a thin card like material from memory. I'm stuck at work right now but i'll do photos tomorrow.

And yes i love the smell :) so does one of my cats. I've got a video of her pushing a board of australian olive around on the floor. :) it looks like she's kinda high on it. Very cute and a bit disturbing. :) i should post it for laughs.

eisbaer
10th April 2009, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Ok here are photos of the certificate. First photo is of certificate in detail. It is on a thin card like material with a slight texture to it. Second photo is for sizing. It is shown next to a baron pen so everyone can get an idea of the size (sorry it's the only thing I had on hand that would make it obvious how big the card is when I took the photo).

BoomerangInfo
14th April 2009, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone!

Well you're not going to believe it, but I just got a message from my wife saying the wood arrived today!

That's 10 elapsed days, including holidays, from order to arrival. Never got anything from the states that quick before. I'd call that top notch service.

When I get home I'll start sorting it all and see how it all stacks up. Tomorrow being "no electricity day" at home (grumble, grumble) will slow me down, but I might be able to get some posted out Friday if people can get their transfers in. I haven't even sent bank details out yet. Will get that sorted soon I hope.

Russell.

eisbaer
14th April 2009, 07:28 PM
great news russell :) geez at this rate everyone else will have one turned before i do. :)

BoomerangInfo
14th April 2009, 08:48 PM
Well folks, I just opened the pack. Seems we've been given quite a few freebies too, so everyone will get at least one extra for free.

Bad news though, they're heavier than I thought, so only 8 - 9 will fit under 500 grams. Anyone wanting 10 will need to go up to the 3Kg bag size, sorry.

I'm just counting the certs. I think we're 1 short, but the darn things stick together, so I may have missed one. But that's OK, I'l lbe doing a test one at least that doesn't need a cert.

Once I finish sorting, I'll send everyone their payment details. If anyone who wanted 10 wants to jump down to 8 to save postage on the smaller bag, let me know ASAP. Remember an order of 10 means you'll be getting 11 now anyway.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
14th April 2009, 08:52 PM
Oops, forgot the piccie.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
15th April 2009, 11:36 AM
OK they're all sorted, allocated, packed and ready to go. 3 hours of fiddling and fussing, but it was a pleasant experience, especially on "no electricty day":rolleyes:. Just have to wait for the money to come in now :) I have some pictures of the process, but am on a image challenegd PC at the moment, so will post tomorrow.

Basically though, I sorted the blanks into 3 piles - little figure, moderate figure, and highly figured, plus a few that had minor flaws.

Every person got 2 highly figured blanks, then an even number of moderate and little figured blanks.

Russell.

Ozkaban
15th April 2009, 12:17 PM
Sweet! Thanks Russell.

Looking forward to turning a few into pens...

Cheers,
Dave

gawdelpus
15th April 2009, 12:39 PM
Looks like a "group buy" that all went well hehe, (may need to set up a treadle lathe ) or bypass the Meter so SWMBO doesn't catch you cheating lol. have a good one ,this sunshine may help your recovery a bit as well :D Lucky I don't need a mouth to type ,the anaesthetic is just wearing off :)

watsrags
15th April 2009, 08:23 PM
email sent

shazzkim
16th April 2009, 12:13 AM
Email sent. Thanks for the great job in organizing this.
Kim

mkypenturner
17th April 2009, 09:15 PM
email sent . thanks again russell
will treat them like gold and will only turn them on high end kits damn if im gunna turn a bloody plain twist kit for some one :minigun:
troy

BoomerangInfo
18th April 2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks all,

Six packages in the mail so far, two more payments received today that will go on Monday, so just two more left for posting after that.

Darn direct deposits over the counter are a pain to track, as the good old banks don;t seem to want to use any sort of payment reference, and it's not even coming through on my statement as to which bank it's coming from, so I'm getting simple statements like "cash payment" and "direct credit" with no identification at all. Luckily it's just a small number of people that I can match up with a pretty good guess. You'd need a better method for a larger group.

I hope to finish up my first sample today with one of the lighter figured blanks, to see how it works out. I'll probably chuck a few of my spares up on PenAffair for sale when I get sorted too, for those who may have missed out but still wish to pick some up.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
20th April 2009, 02:26 PM
OK, only two packages left to go in the mail. People should start receiving them from today I'd imagine. I hope Aus Post has treated them well.

Russell.

Ozkaban
20th April 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Russell,

My blanks arrived today - many thanks! They all look great, though they're thinner than I thought. Not a problem, would still get a Baron/Sedona out of it, but you wouldn't want to be off too much on the drilling!

Very happy with purchase, and great service from Russell!

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
20th April 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Russell,

My blanks arrived today - many thanks! They all look great, though they're thinner than I thought. Not a problem, would still get a Baron/Sedona out of it, but you wouldn't want to be off too much on the drilling!

Very happy with purchase, and great service from Russell!

Cheers,
Dave

Glad to hear they arrived Dave. You should have no troubles with any of the standard kits at the size they are. All of the blanks I use are around this size (19mm) and I've had no problems doing Churchills even at that size, as long as you drill straight.

Russell.

watsrags
21st April 2009, 12:53 PM
I recieved in the mail my BOW its beautiful.
I did not buy it for any other reason that what I seen in their website a highly figued timber but since I have told a couple of people that I was getting it and where it was coming from I have a couple of orders for pens with it -a real bonus for me.
many many thanks Russell for making this a group buy and a very well run group buy at that,
Now to put it to one side until I have the courage and adbilty to do it justice

Trevor

timberbits
21st April 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Russell

Received my blanks today. They are beautiful.

Can't wait to turn them into pens.

Thanks again for organizing the group buy! Your a champ!

PS I also ordered some olive from RTBCO so I can make some boxes to put them in. Air drying the pen blanks, while I wait for the timber from RTBCO. Got to mill the logs and let them air dry out before I can make the boxes.

Timberbits.

Ozkaban
21st April 2009, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear they arrived Dave. You should have no troubles with any of the standard kits at the size they are. All of the blanks I use are around this size (19mm) and I've had no problems doing Churchills even at that size, as long as you drill straight.

Russell.

Hi Russell,

You're right - the only reason I'd have trouble would be if I stuffed it up :D

I saw a note in another forum on setting up a very simple drilling jig, which I will try - my current setup leaves a bit to be desired!

Thanks again for the group by - I second Trevor - it was very well run!

Cheers,
Dave

shazzkim
21st April 2009, 02:51 PM
The eagle has landed. They arrived this morning and look great. Felt heavier than previous ones purchased and also a little damp. Not sure whether they are completely dry but by the time I get to turning them they will be for sure. Greatly ran group buy Russell. You should be congratulated. The smoothness and speediness that was achieved is a real credit to you. Hope to show a completed pen as soon as I can work out how to get my atttchments to attach. Well done again.
Kim

robutacion
22nd April 2009, 01:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I suspect that the BOW blanks recently purchase through the group forum and many other ordered direct by other members, are green blanks, as I believe was something on their web side confirming just that, which makes sense. I don't believe anyone has dry olive wood in any commercial quantities, anywhere. Of all timbers, olive is one of the few that take a considerable amount of time. A recent document that I received from the biggest olive wood supplier in Europe, base in Italy, as just conformed to me that their modern kilns are only capable to dry properly, 1cm of timber thickness (olive) per month 24/7, most are cut in 1/2" and 1" for timber flooring, and furniture panels (doors, drawers, etc) some 2" slabs are casionally dried on their kilns from special orders, one is a intriguing size to most, 1' cube, but certainly not to me as I know exactly why they are bought this way. There a "few" overseas importers that have also the answer, but I'm not ready to start anything, yet, so this will do.

Would be possible for Russell or anyone with the right equipment to get these 2 readings for me, on any of very recently received BOW pen blanks, please. One is the moisture content, the other is the weight of each blank. Another interesting test done by using a normal small timber lighting match, light it and immediately put it flat in one of the blanks face, not the end-grain, and see what happen, does it burn (match) to the end, or something else happens!:o:D. Anyone that decides to try this, I would very interested in seeing the close up pics. Don't worry, you are not going to burn/lose your blank.:D

I just WILL feel sorry for those that went out of their way to get a real piece of olive from the old trees still alive in the holy land, and later on finding out that yes, it was packed in the holy country, but the olive has come from, not places but countries, thousands of miles away, that is going to be a very sad day for a lot of people, believe me!

I'm glad that I've never had anything to do with such "practices", nor I ever will, and that is a promise. The problem is that anyone selling olive wood at the moment, can and probably will be claiming to have come (origin) from places where the product value is hight and irresistible for so many honest religious people that will believe what they will be told. And that I have a big problem with...!

I've recently done some research on this same subject, and I can tell you, what has been said, insinuated, assumed, and in some cases evidenciated , is totally mind blowing and an eye opener indeed. Forums all around the world, have been debating this "Practice/reality" for a few years, particularly since 2003 with the "entry" of one of the big players still today. Go, and have a read for yourself, and make your own conclusions if you dare...!

RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
22nd April 2009, 06:11 AM
The eagle has landed. They arrived this morning and look great. Felt heavier than previous ones purchased and also a little damp. Not sure whether they are completely dry but by the time I get to turning them they will be for sure. Greatly ran group buy Russell. You should be congratulated. The smoothness and speediness that was achieved is a real credit to you. Hope to show a completed pen as soon as I can work out how to get my atttchments to attach. Well done again.
Kim

Thanks all.

Yes the wood did seem rather moist when I turned it too, which is also I guess why it turned so fast. Hopefully it won't be a long term problem. I'd imagine given it's nature, it probably always stays a little moister than other timbers anyway.

I have no way of measuring actual moisture content. I did weigh the blanks however and the avergae seemed to be about 53-54 grams. Range was about 48 - 60g. Interesting, the more figured the wood, the tendency it had to be in the higher weight range.

Russell.

Ozkaban
22nd April 2009, 10:45 AM
My blanks were between about 50g and 58g, though the sizes varied by up to 1mm.

attached are two photos. The first it the match test on a 53g blank.

The second is the same test on the 58g blank. When burning with the match, I could see the flame licking the timber much more, which makes me think there was a lot more oil in that one than the first.

Cheers,
Dave

gawdelpus
22nd April 2009, 11:47 AM
I tested a piece of BOW from a different source ,but most likely the same supplier for both. The weight of the one I have had for some months ,was 53 grams, I tested with a 4 prong digital moisture meter (which I have no idea of what its calibrated for) and both Russels and the older one I had previously, tested at 10- 12 % ,on this machine . eg both the same as near as I can tell, I tested some other woods to try and get some reference and some were higher and a few lower, so it would seem that it is not going to dry out a lot more than it is already, maybe leave one in the sun for a few days and see if that makes a diffence ,or try short bursts in a microwave and weigh situation. I have turned a few of these recently and the wood seems stable enough. My 2 bob's worth lol. cheers ~John

mag
22nd April 2009, 07:50 PM
Russell,

The blanks arrived today, thanks very much for the time and effort to organise the buy.

regards

Mike

shazzkim
22nd April 2009, 08:30 PM
just weighed the blanks I recieved in the group buy and they were between 49 and 51 for seven of them and two were 47grams. I then weighed some from another supplier who sells them as dry and they came out at 51 for the three that I grabbed. I then realized that the "dry" ones were 1/2 an inch longer but still the same weight. They feel dry, they sound dry, they turn dry, thumbnails can't mark them and they even smell dry. You know what..... I reckon they are dry and have been ever since I've had them.

Now in no way shape or form am I being critical to you Russell, as the job you have done is top notch and the blanks are even better but I'm just trying to show that some people do stock dry and ready to turn BOW...

I reckon that might be three bobs worth!!!
Kim

robutacion
23rd April 2009, 05:01 AM
My blanks were between about 50g and 58g, though the sizes varied by up to 1mm.

attached are two photos. The first it the match test on a 53g blank.

The second is the same test on the 58g blank. When burning with the match, I could see the flame licking the timber much more, which makes me think there was a lot more oil in that one than the first.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, thanks for doing the test for me, and before I forget, what is the exact size of the last lot of BOW blanks received? anyone, please!

OK, I didn't thing that this test was common knowledge, as was one of those precious lessons that I've learn from a older master working specifically and exclusively with olive wood. The interpretation of the test is some how obvious, but not at first, there is you can have a pieces of olive with similar oil contents, but one is dryer than the other, both still feel heavy tough. What happens is, when water is present in "abundance" in the olive wood, the oils cant react to the match flame, therefore there is no supply able to escape of the easy burn olive oil from that piece with the higher moisture %. On the other hand, and as you witness, if water in not present or in very low quantities, normally 10 -12 % the flame does bring the oils to the surface, making combustion quite easy and "sparky", burning slightly the timber surface. So there you have it...!:D

I haven't try yet microwaving timbers for drying purposes but, something is telling me that olive wood should react well to a slow , intermittent and rotating gentle cooking. The problem will be not allowing the oils to reach boiling point otherwise, the timber will become as dry as the Simpson desert, but no fibers to keep the timber cells together, becoming like a piece of burn bread toast.

Oh, I forgot to mention that, as much as I love the smell of the olive wood being cut/worked, too much of it and you will know about it. I've been ripping the olive with the band-saw without a dust mush, as the timber is still green so not too dusty but, what makes the nice smell, taste's really bad "sawer" and the acids make you cry a little and you sneeze like a mad man, when it really gets inside places it shouldn't. :o:doh::no: but don't worry, ain't won't Kill you, by the contrary, look at all those old fellows still working (carving, etc.) olive wood in those little work-sheds, no blowers no suckers, little ventilation, and they seat there all day every day, breading tones of the fine dusts, and they all die of old age, I mean "old age". Maybe is the water...?

Does anyone has a couple of days free, to give me a hand with some ripping and some milling some large olive logs before the weather turns to wet?
Or I'm getting too slow, or the days are getting smaller, bugger if I know...!

Time to go and try to have a little sleep...!

RBTCO

mkypenturner
23rd April 2009, 09:18 PM
russell the blanks arrived today there are tops :2tsup: :2tsup: am gunna treasure these and be very careful in turning these oh and will do up a thank you bag on weekend will send you some mackay cedar, burdiken plum and will see what else i can dig up as a thanks

gawdelpus
23rd April 2009, 09:25 PM
robutacion (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=18265) I measured the blanks and mine all seem around 19mm x 20mm .
I hope that helps :) cheers John !

robutacion
23rd April 2009, 11:13 PM
robutacion (http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=18265) I measured the blanks and mine all seem around 19mm x 20mm .
I hope that helps :) cheers John !

Thanks John!

RBTCO

BoomerangInfo
24th April 2009, 07:23 AM
Now in no way shape or form am I being critical to you Russell, as the job you have done is top notch and the blanks are even better but I'm just trying to show that some people do stock dry and ready to turn BOW...

I didn't think you were, I have no idea. All I know is the one I did was easy to turn, which is a trait I find in green wood vs dried. I'm far from being a Timber expert. I turn pens green, blue red or white, as I can't tell the difference. Doesn't matter to me. Touch wood I've had none of the ones I made crack yet no matter how wet or dry they were.

Second last parcel went in the post yesterday. Final one will go once the cheque clears.

Russell.

mkypenturner
26th April 2009, 09:40 PM
russell the blanks arrived today there are tops :2tsup: :2tsup: am gunna treasure these and be very careful in turning these oh and will do up a thank you bag on weekend will send you some mackay cedar, burdiken plum and will see what else i can dig up as a thanks
posting tomorrow hope you enjoy
troy

BoomerangInfo
27th April 2009, 07:08 AM
posting tomorrow hope you enjoy
troy

Thanks Troy, greatly appreciated.

Chris, sorry been home sick mostly, haven.t deposited your cheque yet. Back at work today, so will get onto it ASAP.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
27th April 2009, 02:08 PM
Oops, sorry, that's Darren, not Chris. Eh, so much on my mind lately, dunno whether I'm Arthur or Martha.

Russell.

wm460
28th April 2009, 08:37 PM
G'Day Russell,

The blanks arrived today, thanks very much for the time and effort to organise the buy.

Regards,
Mark.

poulso
28th April 2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Russell
Got my blanks today, very nice :2tsup:
thanks for organising the group buy.

Cheers Jason

ElizaLeahy
7th May 2009, 04:00 PM
When are we going to see pens?

watsrags
7th May 2009, 08:42 PM
When are we going to see pens?
Personally I am still mastering pen making and intent to wait until I have done a lot more, as the more i pratice the better I am getting. Then I guess I will have to master taking photos and posting the pictures up here. But hey the blanks ain't ging anywhere

bdar
8th May 2009, 11:15 PM
Russell got the BOW thanks again for organising the buy, just put photos up to show the quality.
Cheers
Darren