PDA

View Full Version : Mini Market

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 12:54 PM
My choir leader said I could bring some things along to sell during the break. So I made a "mini market" out of an old backgammon case. The case needs a wipedown on the outside.

Now you can see what I've been up to with all the wood you lovely guys have been sending me! :)

wheelinround
1st April 2009, 01:19 PM
Like all good chior masters always after a cut of the takings or is it

his way of saying you singing :rolleyes::-

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 01:27 PM
Nuffin wrong with my singing, thank you very much!

No cut required, she is just helping out the self employed :)

RETIRED
1st April 2009, 03:05 PM
Vu vanta buya vatch?:)

wheelinround
1st April 2009, 03:15 PM
Eliza............Do-Little will now sing her rendition of Match Maker

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 03:29 PM
Eliza............Do-Little will now sing her rendition of Match Maker

I do a good job of My Fair Lady. ;)

You should hear Zoe and I do Phantom of the Opera! lol

But anyway - what do you think of the display???

robutacion
1st April 2009, 03:57 PM
My choir leader said I could bring some things along to sell during the break. So I made a "mini market" out of an old backgammon case. The case needs a wipedown on the outside.

Now you can see what I've been up to with all the wood you lovely guys have been sending me! :)

Eliza,

No wonder how have not been around much...!:roll:

What a display you got there.:2tsup:

I can see a few bits of timber from the Mt. Compass area, they look "porch"!

That reminds me of the old days, when the gold jewelery maker was going from door to door with a case like that, selling his gold items displayed like that.
Just imagine you long one of those will last, in todays time, without being "taking to the cleaners", literally...! I also remember that they were allowed (special license) to carry a hand-gun (the fellow that visited us when I was a kid, was very "friendly", and gave us a little "demonstration" of were he had it:o).

No wonder why, some of us miss those days....! lucky of anyone that knows what it means. :C

How many "gallons" of finish do you go through in a month?:o:doh::D

PS: Did I tell you that I found some "chunks" of timber hidden, that I and others here, have no idea what it is but, and after all these months (year??:?) it looks:o:oo:, yeah, that's right, even tough only small areas have the gems, it is going to be called, "Flame Wood". Is this a clue? I will get some pics and show you all, and no, is not available for sale (maybe...!), sorry!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 04:03 PM
This is only about 1/10 (or less) of my stock. I have a market this Sunday - my first!

I'm making pens today, with one bushing missing it's taking a little longer then I had planned!

I have to work out a larger display for things at the market. I have a long display stand for the hair sticks - holes cut in it and the hair sticks stand in the holes. I think I'll make a concertina type stand for the keyrings and pendants, and have the pens in front of the long display of hairsticks, on the table.

See, your timber has not been wasted!

I'll take photos at the market and show you next week. :)

wheelinround
1st April 2009, 04:12 PM
I do a good job of My Fair Lady. ;)

You should hear Zoe and I do Phantom of the Opera! lol

But anyway - what do you think of the display???

:o :;

Nice use of the case Eliza as said could do with a clean :roll: :2tsup:

I think I would have made 4 hangers for the key rings knobs of wood not hooks as hese will mark them if they swing or come loose or 3 and made them closer and pens at the bottom.

robutacion
1st April 2009, 04:50 PM
This is only about 1/10 (or less) of my stock. I have a market this Sunday - my first!

I'm making pens today, with one bushing missing it's taking a little longer then I had planned!

I have to work out a larger display for things at the market. I have a long display stand for the hair sticks - holes cut in it and the hair sticks stand in the holes. I think I'll make a concertina type stand for the keyrings and pendants, and have the pens in front of the long display of hairsticks, on the table.

See, your timber has not been wasted!

I'll take photos at the market and show you next week. :)

Eliza,

I never though that, what is in the case is all your stock from at least this last week's efforts, I would expect a bloody big box full of goodies, the same goes for my off-cuts, I always knew they were going to the right person!:D with another 50kg (2 x 25kg boxes) on its way soon!:o:doh:

I believe you got the right idea about the display, after the first market sales done, you will know what to modify/make!

Now, my question is in regards to the collection of goodies (your turnings) that Zoe's make her own, every time you showed her some, how are you going to get around it? I bet she's a happy lady, huh?, hold on, hold on... does she have any hair on the top of the "gray" mass, covered with bone and skin, structure?? if not, where does she puts the hair sticks?:oo::U

You didn't tell Zoe where I live, did you?:C:doh:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 04:57 PM
Zoe was totally bald until September last year (2008). She shaved her head for performing, and was so use to it after 20 years that she couldn't stand the feel of hair on her head!

I finally convinced her, that now her performing days are over, she should grow some hair.

We were both surprised to find that it's very thick, very wavy (to curly). She wasn't happy with the colour, however, and dyed it black.

It should be able to hold hairsticks in about another 8 months, maybe in time for the Christmas markets!

As for the keyrings, she has to be happy with the two I've gifted her. She also gets any rejects (so far 2) and one pen. I think she will behave. :)

Oh - the olive root holds together just fine for pens or keyrings as long as it has the brass tube in the middle and I do it on the mandrel. It's only when turning between centres (or, worse still, only one side held in the pin jaws) that it decays.

I'll get some seirra or other pen types and send you another pen - out of something different. When you get all your pens let me know what woods you don't have!

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 04:58 PM
I am so tempted, after the market, to have a go at making my own display case! With the scroll saw and the jigsaw I think I could manage it now.

Ad de Crom
1st April 2009, 06:17 PM
Eliza, I'm to far away from you to hear you singing.
So all I can say, Good luck with selling.
Ad

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd April 2009, 02:55 AM
Cool bit of recycling! :2tsup: There people who pay good money for similar pen cases. DAMHIKT. :-

One thing I found out, down in here in suburbia, is that it's not a good idea to have too many items on display. Or rather, too many "easily accessed" items on display.

They really should be shown in such a way that people have to ask you if they want a closer look; that way you can keep an eye on what's going on. It can make for a disappointing end to the day if you realise that what you sold and what's remaining don't tally up... :(

Paul39
2nd April 2009, 06:44 AM
Eliza,

Take a banana peel and rub the inside of it over the case, let dry a bit and buff with a piece of cloth.

If you think i'm deranged, try a little scuffed place first.

Works on shoes too.