PDA

View Full Version : Lathe setup

MJ
14th May 2000, 10:19 PM
I have just bought a Woodfast 910 lathe, after having outgrown a cheapish Korean (I think) entry level machine. One of the things I have been looking forward to is turning with little or no vibration, however, I think I still need some help with the set-up to achieve that.

I have a concrete floor in my workshop, and the lathe seems to sit on that firmly without being bolted down. I've been turning like that happily enough, but I figure that if I'm going to do any out of balance work I'll need to fix it.

Any suggestions on whether I should dyna-bolt to the concrete, or bolt to a wooden base or whatever. It's worth noting that the stand which comes with the lathe does not have any holes in the feet for fixing to the floor.

RETIRED
15th May 2000, 06:23 PM
Gooday.

Stoppers is dead right. You can't beat weight.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

S Hayward
16th May 2000, 06:30 PM
Hey stoppers
Speaking of big heavy lathes, how's the big beast going? Thought I had better ask. I don't have too many beaches near me. Have to make do with river sand and gravel. If we leave it a bit longer I can weigh it down with GST ( gravel, sand and timber!!)
Cheers
Shaun

MJ
17th May 2000, 07:41 PM
Gentlemen- Thanks for your assistance. Now I just have to convince my wife that I need to go to the beach to get some sand. She thinks she can smell an excuse for a fishing trip!

RETIRED
17th May 2000, 08:15 PM
Could be worse. She could think you going to look at the women.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"