PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock/Tool rest stiffness

Tiger
4th April 2009, 03:53 PM
On my "MC900" lathe, both the tailstock and tool rest which work by cam-lock levers are stiff to release after I have tighened them up. I have them done up to what I consider an optimal level where the tailstock and tool rest will hold and not slip. When it's time to release them, you need a bit of effort and my hand invariably hits the bed. I have tried to lubricate the threads of the cam-lock screws but that hasn't helped.

I notice that on good lathes that the levers are smooth, quick to lock and have a smooth release manner. What is it with the cheaper lathes that prevent this nice motion? Cheaper metal screws? Wear in the cam-lock plate? Although it's only a minor irritation I would like to adjust these so the lathe experience is more satisfying.

RETIRED
4th April 2009, 04:59 PM
Probably gummed up with sawdust and other stuff.

Remove and wash them with kerosene.

Tiger
4th April 2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks, but what parts do I disassemble?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th April 2009, 07:04 PM
The cam. If 'tis a "cheap" MC-900, you may also find wear patterns on the cam - if 'tis low-grade steel - that can do with a rub-down with emery paper to reduce/remove any flats. You'll have to readjust the nut to allow for this, but as ya gotta totally remove the nut to get to the cam anyway... :wink:

Doesn't hurt to clean up any part that makes contact with the bed, either.

Afterwards, give it a spray of Inox. (Or if you've got the Scot's Problem like me, a mix of diesel & kero. :rolleyes:)

joe greiner
4th April 2009, 10:48 PM
What they said.

The lock-down levers operate eccentric cams. In addition to wear or dirt accumulation, improper adjustment of the nut can also reduce effectiveness. You may be near one of its limits (too tight or too loose). Near the mid-range should be ideal; this allows the lever to apply maximum torque to the cam for engagement or release. Thumb and a couple fingers are sufficient purchase on the nut for adjustment.

Cheers,
Joe

Calm
5th April 2009, 07:19 AM
On my "MC900" lathe, both the tailstock and tool rest which work by cam-lock levers are stiff to release after I have tighened them up. I have them done up to what I consider an optimal level where the tailstock and tool rest will hold and not slip. When it's time to release them, you need a bit of effort and my hand invariably hits the bed. I have tried to lubricate the threads of the cam-lock screws but that hasn't helped.

I notice that on good lathes that the levers are smooth, quick to lock and have a smooth release manner. What is it with the cheaper lathes that prevent this nice motion? Cheaper metal screws? Wear in the cam-lock plate? Although it's only a minor irritation I would like to adjust these so the lathe experience is more satisfying.

Can you please explain what you mean - is it the actual cam lever rod that is tight or is it the adjusting nut or lock bolt that is binding - maybe a photo of the offending part.

If it is the cam lever check that nothing is binding on it, or that they are not bend from over tightenng - on mine the tool rest can go low enough in the banjo to sit on the cam rod causing tightness, when you lift it up to the centre height it doesnt touch. The tailstock doesnt have anything like that.

More info please

Cheers

Tiger
5th April 2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your help. I have washed the parts in kerosene and while the toolrest is a little easier to release the tailstock shows no improvement.

David it is the lever that operates the cam that is the problem.

Noticed that on the tailstock there is a bit of slop, also a little bit of slop on the metal plate that engages the bars on the bed of the lathe.