PDA

View Full Version : Any wood turners need some extra cash?

biometrics
5th April 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to do some wood turning on a regular basis turning out small handles like the ones pictured:

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu161/green_thumb_seeds_123/Flintrodhandle02.png

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu161/green_thumb_seeds_123/Flintrodhandle.png

This would suit someone who is retired. We sell about 30-40 of these per month, and will give regular work to the right person.

Email me an approximate price per unit (handle and cover) at biometrics74 'at' gmail.com for more information.

The rod itself is 2 1/2 inches long with 1/4 inch diameter. But we will be getting larger rods approx 4 inches long with 1/2 inch diameter.

funkychicken
5th April 2009, 06:32 PM
What are they?

Claw Hama
5th April 2009, 06:54 PM
Trunchons for leprechauns:let::U<O:p</O:p

biometrics
5th April 2009, 06:56 PM
They're flint rods used for fire making/camping.

If anyone's interested in making their own, we can supply the rods at a reasonable price.

Cub
5th April 2009, 06:56 PM
I think we have a few people already eyeballing this one. I see ya down the bottom

Claw Hama
5th April 2009, 08:03 PM
So Bio what is a reasonable price for a leprechauns trunchon that makes fire??

biometrics
5th April 2009, 09:01 PM
So Bio what is a reasonable price for a leprechauns trunchon that makes fire??

To purchase the rod? or for someone to supply the handle and cover?

We can work out a deal on the rods, depending on how many you need and what size? For smaller orders of the small rods (less than 10 items) I could do them for $7.20 per rod + postage. I can do the large rods for $9.60 per item + postage. Larger orders will reduce the price :)

For someone to supply the handles and cover (approx 35 per month) for the larger 4 inch rod, I'd pay up to $7.00 each + postage.

We can discuss the design. I have an idea to include a striker (piece of hacksaw blade) in the end of the cover. Could be indented so it's not dangerous.

NeilS
6th April 2009, 12:02 PM
....and cover?

What cover?

Neil

robutacion
6th April 2009, 02:17 PM
Hi, Did you say?
Any wood turners need some extra cash? :o:oo::D

Have you tried asking a "unstoppable" alcoholic, if he/she wants a drink?:;

Sure you will have lots of turners in your area, that could and want to make a little cash...! aren't they?

I haven't worked out exactly what you need but if you get into troubles to find someone to do them (whatever they are!) for you, let me knoe, I see what I can do!.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
6th April 2009, 05:15 PM
Do you have access to flint as in the stone? I didn't think we had flint in Australia.

thefixer
6th April 2009, 10:07 PM
Do you have access to flint as in the stone? I didn't think we had flint in Australia.

No flint stone but plenty of rubble:D

Cheers
Shorty

biometrics
6th April 2009, 10:21 PM

We buy/import them in bulk from overseas. I see a lot of people here make pens, which seem to be done to death (no offense intended). Flint rods are a great alternative and probably sell better than pens either as a tourist souvenir or a big/little boys toy.

We're happy to sell just the rods to anyone interested in creating a product.

These bare rods retail for $11, but with a handle + striker, easily fetch $25.

biometrics
6th April 2009, 11:59 PM
This is the plan for the handle + cover.

barnsey
7th April 2009, 02:14 PM
G'day Biometrics,

I can do those for you.

Do you want a little contouring of the handle and cover to fit a hand?

What sort of timbers would you like? Australian natives I would expect to add to the marketability?

Will you fit the rods or do you want me to?

The striker material - hacksaw blades? - will you supply or do you want them supplied?

Probably got a few more questions based on these answers so PM me if you are interested

Jamie

biometrics
7th April 2009, 09:10 PM
G'day Biometrics,

I can do those for you.

Do you want a little contouring of the handle and cover to fit a hand?

What sort of timbers would you like? Australian natives I would expect to add to the marketability?

Will you fit the rods or do you want me to?

The striker material - hacksaw blades? - will you supply or do you want them supplied?

Probably got a few more questions based on these answers so PM me if you are interested

Jamie

Jamie,

Can you email me at biometrics74 'at' gmail.com

I'm not sure how to PM you?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th April 2009, 10:05 PM
Should be a simple enough task, but I'd reconsider the "tight fit" holding the cover on.

It's only wood after all, and given a few uses it won't be a tight fit any more. Losing the striker & cover wouldn't normally be as disastrous to a camper as losing the flint, but it'd still be damned annoying...

petersemple
8th April 2009, 03:48 PM
Wooden musical instruments that fit together like this such as flutes and recorders usually have a loose fit on the tenon and a piece of cork glued around it to make a nice tight seal.

Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th April 2009, 06:51 PM
:whs::2tsup:

tymba
8th April 2009, 07:25 PM
I possibly can help would nee to do 200 at a time let me know if interested.

BB