PDA

View Full Version : A few firsts for a long time..

Touchwood
6th April 2009, 08:15 PM
I was inspired by Ozkabans natural edge bowl, and I too was one of the Robutacion responders. So I set to and put my piece of sheoak onto the lathe and 'had a go' I haven't turned a bowl for a while now and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to catch it once! Had to turn the lathe down a bit though!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: I am reasonable pleased with it, some lovely bits and so not so lovely bits. There as some tool marks inside that I just couldn't seem to sand out - on the lathe it tried to eat my fingers (thanks to The Fixer and his recycling gasket bits, my fingers were saved a few beatings) and they didn't budge much just by hand (a patience things perhaps :B).

I was also inspired to have a shot at Ed Reiss' bangles and made a couple of those too.

And all the talk of eggs one day saw some egg cups coming off the lathe.

All are sheoak, but all from different areas - the egg cups local (was in my neigbours firewood pile until I rescued it), bangles from Albany WA way and then eastern states for the bowl.

Thanks to all those mentioned for their sharing :D:D

JD

artme
6th April 2009, 08:23 PM
Lovely things all, Touchwood!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The spalting on the bowl makes for an interesting point of difference.

joe greiner
6th April 2009, 11:44 PM
Very well done.:2tsup:

I've suggested a small step at the bottom, for a slight floating appearance, but this is ridiculous. Tell the truth; there's some plate glass or Perspex in the game, isn't there? Hard to believe your shutter speed would be fast enough to catch it in midair.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Joe

Touchwood
7th April 2009, 12:14 AM
Yes Joe, there is a small step foot on the base of the bowl - mostly because I was still trying to figure out how to chuck it to do the inside without marking the base, knowing that I couldn't put this one is cole jaws to tidy up chuck marks because it would have a different centre. Pure luck played a big part I think.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th April 2009, 12:19 AM
Gotta agree with Joe, they're all very nicely done.

I think that what he meant by "floating" is the impression gained - when looking at the thumbnails - that everything is floating in the air. A nice bit of photography, even if it wasn't deliberate. :D

robutacion
7th April 2009, 01:42 AM
I was inspired by Ozkabans natural edge bowl, and I too was one of the Robutacion responders. So I set to and put my piece of sheoak onto the lathe and 'had a go' I haven't turned a bowl for a while now and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to catch it once! Had to turn the lathe down a bit though!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: I am reasonable pleased with it, some lovely bits and so not so lovely bits. There as some tool marks inside that I just couldn't seem to sand out - on the lathe it tried to eat my fingers (thanks to The Fixer and his recycling gasket bits, my fingers were saved a few beatings) and they didn't budge much just by hand (a patience things perhaps :B).

I was also inspired to have a shot at Ed Reiss' bangles and made a couple of those too.

And all the talk of eggs one day saw some egg cups coming off the lathe.

All are sheoak, but all from different areas - the egg cups local (was in my neigbours firewood pile until I rescued it), bangles from Albany WA way and then eastern states for the bowl.

Thanks to all those mentioned for their sharing :D:D

JD

Thanks JD

That's what I'm talking about...!

I just can't imagine a better use for those small half logs I had:wink::D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Wayne Blanch
7th April 2009, 08:37 AM
Great stuff:2tsup: JD, I really have to try those bangles.

Ed Reiss
7th April 2009, 12:08 PM
JD, you've been a busy guy on the lathe lately....good work :2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
7th April 2009, 01:55 PM
Excellent work, JD.
You seem to have been properly inspired!! :2tsup:

robyn2839
7th April 2009, 06:25 PM
lovely work there especially like the bowl,wish i had your skill.bob

robutacion
7th April 2009, 11:34 PM
JD, you've been a busy guy on the lathe lately....good work :2tsup::2tsup:

You're right about being busy on the lathe lately, the only problem is that JD is not a "guy", she is a "girl" :o:doh::;:D

RBTCO

tea lady
7th April 2009, 11:42 PM
You're right about being busy on the lathe lately, the only problem is that JD is not a "guy", she is a "girl" :o:doh::;:D

RBTCO

Yeah! Girls. :dance:

Rum Pig
8th April 2009, 08:23 AM
Well done :2tsup::2tsup: all very nice I like the bowl :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
8th April 2009, 12:17 PM

RBTCO

C'mon now RBTCO...she probably knows that :q:D:D:B:B

Touchwood
8th April 2009, 07:55 PM
the only problem is that JD is not a "guy", she is a "girl"

yeah but, on this forum I feel like "one of the guys" and that's OK ..... and it's not a problem at all!!! :D:)

JD

Ed Reiss
8th April 2009, 11:55 PM
yeah but, on this forum I feel like "one of the guys" and that's OK ..... and it's not a problem at all!!! :D:)

JD

phew...and here I was worried that you were going to kick my butt:o:C:U